PDA

View Full Version : Problem with rotation grip when scaling Dynamic Block

blaine.67000
2006-01-20, 05:46 PM
Okay, I have tried everything, but to no avail. I have a section cut block and my problem is that I have lookup grip which scales the block to the appropriate drawing scale. However, I cannot get the rotation grip to stay at the top of the arrow when the block is scaled. (see attached drawing). Currently, I have included the rotation parameter in the "scale block" action. This keeps the tick marks in the right spot by changing their radius. However, the grip moves off of the cut line as the parameter changes.

I have tried placing an offset move action onto the rotation grip, but that moved the entire rotation parameter as well which screws everything up and it does not change the radius of the rotation parameter.

I have tried the stretch action when basically does the same as the move, or it does nothing depending on if both the rotation grip and the rotation parameter are part of the selection set or just the grip.

I also tried placing a basepoint at the center of the circle.

I may not have done something correctly with one of the above methods. So, maybe one of the above is the way to do it.

I would very much appreciate someone taking a look at this and giving me some help!!

Also regarding this block: Often when I reset the block or after closing the block editor after a modification, the text size for the attributes gets screwed up. I can fix the problem by deleting and re-inserting the block, but after many times it gets annoying. I am new to attributes. Is this normal? Is it a bug?

One other thing regarding the block editor.. Why did they make it so the text and symbol sizes keep changing??? I know you can do a regen, but again after 100 times doing it, it gets annoying. Why can't it just be like a normal object?? When I click on a line and zoom in and out with my wheel, the grips adjust accordingly in size.

Thanks for the help...

blaine

Chris.N
2006-01-20, 07:12 PM
Okay, I have tried everything, but to no avail. I have a section cut block and my problem is that I have lookup grip which scales the block to the appropriate drawing scale. ...
blaine blaine, are you using sheet sets? if you do that, everything (SSM linked objects) all happens in paperspace, and you don't need to scale, everything is full sized.
and another thing, is your scaling of block uniform? if so, why bother with a lookup inthe first place.... place your block icon in the Tool Palette, and set the icon properties to insert according to the files 'DIMSCALE' variable....
if i am assuming way too much here, please let me know, and i will take a look at your block for you and see if i can get it to work the way you need.
(DB's are awesome, btw, don't get discouraged, is the key attitude in here! ;) )
Chris

blaine.67000
2006-01-20, 08:17 PM
blaine, are you using sheet sets?
Chris
No

if you do that, everything (SSM linked objects) all happens in paperspace, and you don't need to scale, everything is full sized.
and another thing, is your scaling of block uniform? if so, why bother with a lookup inthe first place.... place your block icon in the Tool Palette, and set the icon properties to insert according to the files 'DIMSCALE' variable....
Chris
Yes, I am scaling uniformly, but our typical drawing is model space with a plan view @ 1/4", several details @ 1/2" and several more at 1 1/2"... so we have dimensions @ various drawing scales in the same model space. Therefore, the DIMSCALE thing would not work. In my template drawing I have the dots dim style created in drawing scales from 3" up to 1/8", so I just change to the appropriate drawing scale for what I am dimensioning. If I insert and scale according to DIMSCALE using toolpallettes, then it would scale based on the last dim style I used, (unless I change the dimstyle to the appropriate scale right before I insert). That seems like a pain because if I insert and forget to change the dimstyle I have to back up, change the dim style to the correct one and reinsert. I would not be able to change the size of the block on the fly.

Also not all users in our office use toolpalettes.. .. I know ...... I know.

Also, We do all dimensioning, etc in model space. Title block, titles for plans and details are in paper space.

if i am assuming way too much here, please let me know, and i will take a look at your block for you and see if i can get it to work the way you need.
(DB's are awesome, btw, don't get discouraged, is the key attitude in here! ;) )
Chris

I hope the above clears up why I am doing what I am doing. The whole point of the DB is to be able to use one block for all drawing scales required. We were doing this before, but simply scaling by hand.

One thing I have had to learn is that the scaling with the DB is somewhat different. Before, to scale, we always picked a basepoint and then a multiplication (scale) factor. With a DB scale action, there is no scale factor for the scale action. (as far as I can see). One must use a linear parameter and use the change in distance as the scale factor. For instance, in my block, the linear parameter starts at a distance of 16. To scale to a 3/8" drawing scale, the parameter length must go to 10 2/3". --- This the same as starting with a block set up for 1/4" and scaling by 2/3" to get one sized for 3/8" drawing scale. (16 * 2/3 = 10 2/3) The reason that I used 16 is for the placement and movement of the lookup grip. (It took me a while to figure all that out). That is how I get the lookup grip to stay at the point of the arrow - (a move action attached to the lookup grip controlled by the linear parameter that also controls the scale.)

So.... when I scale the rotation parameter, the rotation grip moves a distance of 16 - 10 2/3 or 5.333. That is the problem.

Blaine

blaine.67000
2006-01-23, 02:43 PM
Chris,

I think I figured out my first question. I don't have time right now to try it though. I am going to swap the location of the lookup grip with the rotation grip and I think that should take care of my problem. Did you ever look at the block I posted???.

I am still looking for some answers to my other to questions regarding the text attributes getting scewed up and the text sizes in the block editor constantly changing. Can someone out there give me some insight on this?????

Blaine

Rico
2006-01-23, 07:58 PM
One thing I have had to learn is that the scaling with the DB is somewhat different. Before, to scale, we always picked a basepoint and then a multiplication (scale) factor. With a DB scale action, there is no scale factor for the scale action. (as far as I can see). One must use a linear parameter and use the change in distance as the scale factor. For instance, in my block, the linear parameter starts at a distance of 16. To scale to a 3/8" drawing scale, the parameter length must go to 10 2/3". --- This the same as starting with a block set up for 1/4" and scaling by 2/3" to get one sized for 3/8" drawing scale. (16 * 2/3 = 10 2/3) The reason that I used 16 is for the placement and movement of the lookup grip. (It took me a while to figure all that out). That is how I get the lookup grip to stay at the point of the arrow - (a move action attached to the lookup grip controlled by the linear parameter that also controls the scale.)

So.... when I scale the rotation parameter, the rotation grip moves a distance of 16 - 10 2/3 or 5.333. That is the problem.

Blaine
Personally, I've found that, when working with DB's, it's always best to draw them at a 1:1 scale. 1" big or 1mm big. That way, when making the block, it's scaled at 1 so when you have to scale it at 96, all you do is type 96 and it scales correctly.

Way to point out the obvious, I know. But until Chris pointed it out, I wasn't doing it right. Now it all flows better.

As for the text stuff, I'll get back to ya. I've been having similar problems with my text in DB's.