PDA

View Full Version : New Here

brainalien
2006-01-26, 09:13 PM
Hello everyone,

I found AUGI on the net a few weeks ago and decided to come out of my shell. It looks like you guys have a great community here.

A little background on myself,

I'm originally from Jax, FL, I was taught on Autocad12 and graduated tech school in 1996. After that, I moved to Gainesville, FL to do facilities drafting at a battery manufacturing plant for about a year. The climate there was too unstable so I hooked up with a local MEP firm in late 97 and I've been here ever since.

I suppose I'm a "seasoned" designer now and specialize in laying out mechanical systems for hospitals, cancer centers, laboratories, etc.. It's challenging work and I enjoy it.

A few weeks ago I was asked if I'd be interested in rolling out ABS 2006 for the office. I was like, "FINALLY!" and jumped on it. I have to get myself and the design team up to snuff so we can utilize it on a new 200,000sqft biomedical facility. I was hoping for a smaller project to use as our pilot for ABS, but I've been thrown in the fire before :). To give you an idea on my time frame, DD phase begins in June and I'm still waiting on the new software and workstations (next week).

It's going to be a lot of work managing the ABS training while continuing with my current responsibilities. I'll be asking lots of questions on this forum for sure.

Brian

Wanderer
2006-01-26, 09:19 PM
Welcome to AUGI Brian.
we are quite the little community here.

I work in facilities management myself, so I'm a bit curious to know if the biomedical facility has existing facility engineering staff who are interested in utilizing the intelligence behind your models?

oh, and ask any question, or offer any comments.

Hello everyone,

I found AUGI on the net a few weeks ago and decided to come out of my shell. It looks like you guys have a great community here.

A little background on myself,

I'm originally from Jax, FL, I was taught on Autocad12 and graduated tech school in 1996. After that, I moved to Gainesville, FL to do facilities drafting at a battery manufacturing plant for about a year. The climate there was too unstable so I hooked up with a local MEP firm in late 97 and I've been here ever since.

I suppose I'm a "seasoned" designer now and specialize in laying out mechanical systems for hospitals, cancer centers, laboratories, etc.. It's challenging work and I enjoy it.

A few weeks ago I was asked if I'd be interested in rolling out ABS 2006 for the office. I was like, "FINALLY!" and jumped on it. I have to get myself and the design team up to snuff so we can utilize it on a new 200,000sqft biomedical facility. I was hoping for a smaller project to use as our pilot for ABS, but I've been thrown in the fire before :). To give you an idea on my time frame, DD phase begins in June and I'm still waiting on the new software and workstations (next week).

It's going to be a lot of work managing the ABS training while continuing with my current responsibilities. I'll be asking lots of questions on this forum for sure.

Brian

brainalien
2006-01-27, 02:44 AM
Thanks Melanie,

Could you elaborate when you say "utilizing the intelligence behind your models"?

Steve_Bennett
2006-01-27, 02:59 AM
Thanks Melanie,

Could you elaborate when you say "utilizing the intelligence behind your models"?I'll answer for her since she's ooto for a bit...

Since you'll be using ABS for facility design, she was curious if you'll be extracting any data via tables or spreadsheets for use with other people on the project... Or any other possible uses you might find for the 3D content.

And welcome aboard.

brainalien
2006-01-27, 01:12 PM
The existing facility engineers have not requested that kind of functionality. Both the client and Architect know this is our first project using ABS.

Wanderer
2006-01-31, 05:56 PM
The existing facility engineers have not requested that kind of functionality. Both the client and Architect know this is our first project using ABS.Steve is somewhat correct... mostly I was wondering if the facilities people were going to be getting abs and using the model to maintain their buildings like they use the blueprints currently.

I've put forth the idea to the engineering and construction personnel here at my facility to eventually start to use a program like ABS... we often have really crummy mepfp plans and I believe they would be a lot harder to mess up in an intelligent design program. (eg, chasing down a pipe whose label suddenly switches from hhw to cw... only resolve is to go out in the field and actually check the pipe itself... not very efficient in a 6mil sq ft place)... but, most of our contractors, of course, aren't using abs yet.

:)

brainalien
2006-02-28, 07:03 PM
Steve is somewhat correct... mostly I was wondering if the facilities people were going to be getting abs and using the model to maintain their buildings like they use the blueprints currently.

I've put forth the idea to the engineering and construction personnel here at my facility to eventually start to use a program like ABS... we often have really crummy mepfp plans and I believe they would be a lot harder to mess up in an intelligent design program. (eg, chasing down a pipe whose label suddenly switches from hhw to cw... only resolve is to go out in the field and actually check the pipe itself... not very efficient in a 6mil sq ft place)... but, most of our contractors, of course, aren't using abs yet.

:)

Sorry for the late reply Melanie, I've landed a new job plus and I'm still really busy with my current employer.

To answer your question, yes the facilites department is using ABS.

I know where your coming from, I've done several hospital renovations and the client's plans or as-builts are typically out of date. We almost always have field survey everything prior to beginning work.

I've even done some work for BJC :).

Wanderer
2006-02-28, 07:41 PM
Sorry for the late reply Melanie, I've landed a new job plus and I'm still really busy with my current employer.

To answer your question, yes the facilites department is using ABS.

I know where your coming from, I've done several hospital renovations and the client's plans or as-builts are typically out of date. We almost always have field survey everything prior to beginning work.

I've even done some work for BJC :).
:shock: they've heard of it? they're using it? I can't believe my eyes?
I don't suppose they have any augi members working there, do they, that would like to come up here and chat with me? ~looking really, really hopeful~

~nods~ That's the most fun part for me working in the engineering department. We have the originals... then we have all of the renovations since. I've now got a database of every cad file and blueprint we've got, so I can query to determine which is the newest/most applicable, which I'm sure cuts down quite a bit on the field surveying, but, that's assuming we get decent as-builts, which is a HUGE assumption.

really? cool, which facility?

Steve_Bennett
2006-02-28, 08:44 PM
I can't believe my eyes? I'm confused... :confused:

brainalien
2006-02-28, 08:44 PM
:shock: they've heard of it? they're using it? I can't believe my eyes?
I don't suppose they have any augi members working there, do they, that would like to come up here and chat with me? ~looking really, really hopeful~

~nods~ That's the most fun part for me working in the engineering department. We have the originals... then we have all of the renovations since. I've now got a database of every cad file and blueprint we've got, so I can query to determine which is the newest/most applicable, which I'm sure cuts down quite a bit on the field surveying, but, that's assuming we get decent as-builts, which is a HUGE assumption.

really? cool, which facility?

I don't have much experience with these guys so I don't know how long they've been using ABS. Since I won't be working here much longer, it's doubtful I'd be able to get contacts for you :(.

I was involved with the 8 story south campus building addition for the CIP (Campus Integration Project). I was also involved with an OR fitout in the same building.

Wanderer
2006-02-28, 09:49 PM
I don't have much experience with these guys so I don't know how long they've been using ABS. Since I won't be working here much longer, it's doubtful I'd be able to get contacts for you :(.

I was involved with the 8 story south campus building addition for the CIP (Campus Integration Project). I was also involved with an OR fitout in the same building.:( ah well... hopefully they'll come looking for support... I'd love to talk to someone who's actually implemented a more intelligent package for a facility.

oh, I heard bjc and assumed corporate... we're bjh here, same umbrella, different cad person. ;)

the building addition on the north side of the existing building? or the building itself with the ED and everything? This is a fun time for me... 3 different occupants and renovators in that building/garage (hospital, medical school, children's hospital)... BLAH! nightmare with upkeep and renovations...

the or thing is cool, I've got to go to a survey of the work done so far on that within the next couple of weeks... I think it's a 3phase thing...

Maverick91
2006-02-28, 10:12 PM
:( ah well... hopefully they'll come looking for support... I'd love to talk to someone who's actually implemented a more intelligent package for a facility.

oh, I heard bjc and assumed corporate... we're bjh here, same umbrella, different cad person. ;)

the building addition on the north side of the existing building? or the building itself with the ED and everything? This is a fun time for me... 3 different occupants and renovators in that building/garage (hospital, medical school, children's hospital)... BLAH! nightmare with upkeep and renovations...

the or thing is cool, I've got to go to a survey of the work done so far on that within the next couple of weeks... I think it's a 3phase thing...perhaps you two would like to get a room..? ;-)

Steve_Bennett
2006-03-01, 02:38 AM
perhaps you two would like to get a room..? ;-)Prolly not. rock. on. mel. finger...