PDA

View Full Version : Using Worksets as pseudo layers

mmodernc
2006-02-15, 01:40 AM
Can you keep using worksets in a file without ever saving to central?
Sooner or later I get the message that I must save to central.
I only want to use worksets to do things like turning off elements I do not want to see when I print or to get a couple of items out of the workspace without having join problems like you do with design options.
Phases is also an option but I am trying not to complicate the existing/new relationship.
Thanks

beegee
2006-02-15, 02:07 AM
Why not save to central ?

Then use the worksets for visibility as you wish ( like, clears throat , ...layers )

aries215
2006-02-15, 03:46 AM
In my current project I have set the worksets up as "layers" so that I can turn different elements of the building on/ off globally in all areas on all sheets. This also originally helped to eliminate conflicts by assigning the user to a specific workset.

I am not really clear about your question. if you are working in the central file you should have no trouble saving to central and still keeping your worksets organized. Saving to central helps to relinquish possession. I find the less time between saves the better. Also you can always dismiss saving.

mmodernc
2006-02-15, 12:27 PM
When you move a central file to another computer it asks you to save as to make it the central file. Is this file tranferrable back to the original computer-if so as what?

sbrown
2006-02-15, 03:51 PM
Are you creating a local file? When you move the central file, as you indicate, its no longer a central file, it becomes a local file. You are supposed to only work on the local files, then publish your changes back to the central file. The central file really never even needs to be opened. So bottom line, the central file should not be moved or worked on. It is a storage / communication receptacle. All work should be done in a local file. This then causes the save to centrals to be needed. If you are a single user you could just work on the central file itself. Thats a little risky in my opinion, but probably ok. I like the redundancy of the local files.

mmodernc
2006-02-15, 08:29 PM
Thanks guys
So it goes like this
1.start work on a file and set up worksets
2.save this as the central file
3.create a local file from the central file using save as and work on this
4.when ready to move make sure the local file is saved with all sets editable and save to central without relinquishing any worksets
5.save local file to transfer medium e.g. CD
6.load local file from transfer medium to second computer
7.open local file
8.save local file as central file but change name to original central file name
9.from central file create a local file with same name as original local file
10.work on local file and when finished save local file with all worksets editable and save to central without relinquishing any worksets
11.save local file to transfer medium
12.load local file to original computer
13.load local file over original local file to pick up changes made on second computer so you do not end up with umpteen files
14.save to central
15.work on local file

better look at that phasing option

bpayne
2006-02-15, 10:24 PM
Or...

1. Buy network cable
2. Remove need to transfer to medium.

Seriously though...worksets are designed to be used on a computer network.

mmodernc
2006-02-15, 10:41 PM
what if you are working from home as well as at the office on two separate desktops.
If you have a windows pda will autosync work between the two desktops.
probably worth a try

bpayne
2006-02-15, 10:52 PM
If you are working from two seperate computers, wouldn't it be easier to toss the file on a flash drive, work on it at home, and when you get back in the office, save it over the existing file?

sbrown
2006-02-16, 02:43 AM
I work at home all the time, just put your local file on the cd, work, then return to work and open your local file, revit will automatically check out the worksets you modified and you can then save to central.

bpayne
2006-02-16, 04:28 PM
Thanks for the tip. Good to know!

irwin
2006-02-18, 02:09 AM
If you are the only one working on the project, I don't see any need to create local files. I'd just work directly on the central file.