PDA

View Full Version : Editing Requests

brendan.mac
2006-02-16, 03:38 AM
Is anyone aware of any peripheral software that allows for a 'pop-up' to notify other users on worksets of an editing request?

Considering that AutoDesk has given us the ability to make editing requests, it would be handy if there was a way of letting someone know you wanted a request granted.

Is this a wish-list item?

cosmickingpin
2006-02-16, 04:37 AM
I usually throw something at them, paper clip, rubber band, perhaps we could get a box of rubber bands from the factory with "revit workset request" written on them.

Dimitri Harvalias
2006-02-16, 05:34 AM
Try Messenger. It's free, available to all and it can be relatively innocuous running in the background.

We dispense with conversation and just enter a simple 'ER'. It pops up on the other user's screen and they reply with an 'OK' when done.

I'm no programmer but I would think it's really tough to come up with a 'mini-app' that would work in all network situations and group setups.

beegee
2006-02-16, 08:22 AM
There is other software that operates on a LAN.

Softros (http://messenger.softros.com/) is one “Softros LAN Messenger is an easy-to-use LAN messaging application for effective intra-office communication. It does not require a server and is very easy to install. Softros LAN Messenger correctly identifies and works under Windows NT/2000/XP limited user accounts (without administrative privileges). Softros LAN Messenger comes with a variety of handy features such as message notification alarms, personal or group messaging, file transfer, Window XP theme support, and an intuitive interface. Our LAN messaging utility offers strong encryption options for all incoming and outgoing messages, guaranteeing no unauthorized person ever reads personal correspondence. The program is very stable when running under any Windows operating system and on large or small TCP/IP networks. This application can be used for contacting individual users or for group notifications. All messages are logged, so there is no risk of losing a message. All correspondence can be looked up at any time. There are convenient sound alarms for incoming messages. The program is very straightforward and requires no special training. It is ready to be used right after installation is completed. Configuring the program can be done by individual users without requesting any assistance from the IT staff or system administrators. All settings can be saved and easily transferred to another computer if necessary. “

I haven’t tested it, but it sounds good.

Of course, there are others available if you google.

Dimitri Harvalias
2006-02-16, 10:13 AM
I would think it's really tough to come up with a 'mini-app' that would work in all network situations and group setups.
I'm sure there are plenty of third party apps out there. I was referring to Autodesk providing something built into Revit as an integral part of worksharing.

ejburrell67787
2006-02-16, 11:54 AM
Try Messenger. It's free, available to all and it can be relatively innocuous running in the background..Windows messenger, MSN chat, skype (chat)... all work fine and are free. Also good for sending colleagues internet links rather than reading them out or wasting time emailing..

brendan.mac
2006-02-16, 12:35 PM
I work in a design office which services the main office, in a separate building... spit balls are definitely out. No matter how good a shot I am.

Our office IT has seen in its' wisdom to ban the use of messenger in the office because it is easily abused.

Emails are far more easy to police.

However, in our modern, fast-paced, dog-eat-dog, multi-applicationed world, emailing for a simple request is cumbersome and time consuming...

I'm a fast-food, instant-gratification kind of guy.

That's why I'm interested in an innocuous 'mini-app' solution that can slip under the radar of the sphincter police.

Martin P
2006-02-16, 01:52 PM
install this on the computers you want to talk to each other......

Its shareware, so dont worry! - lets you instantly send a little sticky note to anyone on the network. Pops up right on their screen, can be really Good fun :) Especially if somebody is on a bad phone call you can overhear!!

Our boring IT guy took it off because he "doesnt like shareware...." much to our disgust... Am sure your IT guys will do the same - if they know about it ;)

mtchuff
2006-02-16, 02:15 PM
:mrgreen: We use this one TONIC (http://www.r2.com.au/software.php?page=2&show=tonic&PHPSESSID=ce0c1ed128fdd9ea8abb5008490baf17) it's completely freeware even for corporate use and it's really useful inside a local LAN to be able to send instant messages to anyone.
Super easy to use, really. Try it you'll love it.

Scott D Davis
2006-02-16, 04:20 PM
I'm sure there are plenty of third party apps out there. I was referring to Autodesk providing something built into Revit as an integral part of worksharing.
If it were built in to Revit, most firms could use it! Our IT doesn't like MSN or Windows Messenger, and we don't have the rights to install programs such as the one attached in this thread, so we are outta luck!

If it were built in, IT would HAVE to allow it as part of the program!

Scott D Davis
2006-02-16, 04:22 PM
:mrgreen: We use this one TONIC (http://www.r2.com.au/software.php?page=2&show=tonic&PHPSESSID=ce0c1ed128fdd9ea8abb5008490baf17) it's completely freeware even for corporate use and it's really useful inside a local LAN to be able to send instant messages to anyone.
Super easy to use, really. Try it you'll love it.
And there is a new version of Tonic that was posted today, Feb 16!

irwin
2006-02-18, 02:17 AM
Perhaps the best way is to avoid the need for editing requests at all. Version 8.1 was intended to facilitate a workflow in which you generally don't make anything editable -- just start working and the elements get borrowed automatically as you change them. Then, save to central frequently (save to central was made faster in 8.1), accepting the default of relinquishing everything (the Save to Central icon in the toolbar does this). This way, most of the time people have very few elements editable and it should be pretty rare that there is any need for an editing request.

I wonder where the assumptions are going wrong. Are people using this workflow, and finding a need for frequent editing requests anyway? Or are people still using the old workflow of making lots of things editable (like whole worksets) in advance? Or are people not doing frequent saves to central?

beegee
2006-02-18, 02:51 AM
I think many firms are still using the " old " workset method of making whole worksets editable, possibly because this allows selective opening and resultant speed increase for large files.

Even using the new method, its likely that editing requests will arise at some stage. Thats fine if the team are located in the same area, but creates problems otherwise. Those problems are more perceptual than anything, since , at worst, email will do the trick.

We've been told that the reason for not implementing an in-programme messager, is due to security concerns. If so, I would think and hope, that the security issue could be addressed.

Perhaps the best way is to avoid the need for editing requests at all. Version 8.1 was intended to facilitate a workflow in which you generally don't make anything editable -- just start working and the elements get borrowed automatically as you change them. Then, save to central frequently (save to central was made faster in 8.1), accepting the default of relinquishing everything (the Save to Central icon in the toolbar does this). This way, most of the time people have very few elements editable and it should be pretty rare that there is any need for an editing request.

I wonder where the assumptions are going wrong. Are people using this workflow, and finding a need for frequent editing requests anyway? Or are people still using the old workflow of making lots of things editable (like whole worksets) in advance? Or are people not doing frequent saves to central?

irwin
2006-02-19, 02:54 AM
I think many firms are still using the " old " workset method of making whole worksets editable, possibly because this allows selective opening and resultant speed increase for large files.
Selective open is a reason to continue partitioning the model into worksets instead of dumping everything into one workset. But, even if you are using selective open you can still do frequent saves to central and avoid explicitly making anything editable (letting elements become editable automatically as you change them). That's the part of the new workflow that should minimize editing requests.

beegee
2006-02-19, 03:15 AM
So, would that be the recommended " best practice " method now ?

Also, Irwin , do you have any comment on the security issue for an in-programme messenger ?

Selective open is a reason to continue partitioning the model into worksets instead of dumping everything into one workset. But, even if you are using selective open you can still do frequent saves to central and avoid explicitly making anything editable (letting elements become editable automatically as you change them). That's the part of the new workflow that should minimize editing requests.