PDA

View Full Version : Poll on machine manufacturers

nicholas_baum
2006-02-16, 02:29 PM
We are looking to buy a few CAD workstations so I am wondering about the reliability of certain computer manufacturers. PCmag.com has a rating every year but I have not been able to find any reliability ratings on computers such as @XI computer, Polywell, Velocity Micro, Monarch, etc... I would like to hear what others are using and like.

We have 5 Dell computers and have been happy with them but it seems the AMD processors have better value these days and Dell does not presently offer them.

Please vote for a maker if you own and are more than satisfied with the reliability.

Thanks in advance,
Nick

cadkiller
2006-02-16, 02:48 PM
You forgot Tristar workstations.

This is my second Tristar workstation and they're very good machines. I also had a Dell workstation; but never tried an HP workstation.

I need a new system soon and I'm looking to get an Alienware workstation this time around.

jpostlewait
2006-02-16, 02:53 PM
We have purchased a little over a dozen @XI workstations in the last 6 months and I have been very impressed with them. Hard for me to judge reliability but I been voting with the wallet.
Purchased HP's before that and they were also very good machines. Made the switch due to AMD dual core processors being so fast.

John Postlewait
IS Department
George Butler Associates, Inc.

nicholas_baum
2006-02-16, 03:08 PM
[QUOTE=cadkiller]You forgot Tristar workstations.

Sorry, I probably forgot others (ie: homemade).

I do not think I can edit the poll once it has been posted. If others are interested we could do another one (a continuation of the first) if people are interested.

Nick

Wanderer
2006-02-16, 04:06 PM
You forgot Tristar workstations.

Sorry, I probably forgot others (ie: homemade).
I do not think I can edit the poll once it has been posted. If others are interested we could do another one (a continuation of the first) if people are interested.

Nickif you'd like the poll edited, I can do that...

for my pc, I've used nothing but IBM's... three desktops and three laptops over the past 10 years. (4 of the 6 are still in use, the other two would likely work still but the OS are out of date). oh, take that back, had two home pc's that were hp's... had problems with the cd-burners they came with, but that was about it.

Scott Hopkins
2006-02-16, 04:37 PM
Xi computers have always worked great for me.

nicholas_baum
2006-02-16, 04:38 PM
Melanie,

Please edit as you see fit.

Thanks,
Nick

cadkiller
2006-02-16, 05:15 PM
Dell
HP
IBM
Tristar
XI Computer
Alienware
Polywell
Micron
Velocity Micro
Monarch
Compaq
Gateway
Toshiba
Packard Bell
Acer
Intergraph
SGI
Apple / Macintosh
Other brand not listed
Homemade

Birdy
2006-02-16, 05:28 PM
I've always used dells at work. (from somewhere on the acad hardware forums: "No one ever got fired for buying a dell")

They've been very reliable for us. Never any problems I couldn't solve easily. Had a few gateways, and compaqs too. Not quiet as good a track record.

We're looking at needing to add 2 new cad stations, and I'm pushing for Xi (for AMD & ASUS reasons). I keep hearing more and more good stuff about them, so I'm not worried about issues with the boss getting upset.

Homemade at home (2 months old) and solid as a rock. (Knock on wood.)

robert.1.hall72202
2006-02-16, 05:51 PM
I have good faith in HP products.
I have an older pentium 3 that I still use at home because
it boots up, sounds great (fan, hard drive, cd drive, etc.), and
still runs most of the software I use.

I use dell at work, however, I tend to have my doubts everytime
I try and use their 50 cent floppy drive and some of the connectors
on the back of the machines get loose. I think they have cheap
components advertised under a great name. All else, if it breaks, then
they replace it for free, right? They can afford to use lower end stuff.

BWG
2006-02-17, 02:50 PM
I prefer to build my own. Some of those companies have too many propiertary parts in them.