PDA

View Full Version : How do I Relinquish Worksets and not save the changes?

cparsons
2006-02-17, 06:30 AM
hi all,

here's a scenario. i need to print a sheet really quick for a client meeting. we are using worksets.

1) i open my local file
2) i go into a sheet, damn, the site is on, so i activate the view, VH out the site and deactivate the view
3) print
4) file, close and run to my meeting a hero...

BUT.........

5) I get the error message in the attached jpeg.
6) I try and hit cancel because I don't want to overwrite the view. sure, i probably should have duplicated the view and/or set up a new sheet but i was in a hurry. now i am stuck in an infinite loop of file, close, cancel and all i wanted to do was print.

Is this true? The eqiuvalent is probably opening up a read-only word file, making a couple changes, printing, and then closing. Is this because of "real-time" borrowing?

Thanks,
Chris

Steve_Stafford
2006-02-17, 06:37 AM
Because you've printed and "changed" something you must quit without relinquishing worksets you've borrowed so that you can close without saving. Choose Don't Relinquish, then when Revit barks at you about Saving Locally, don't. Then when the file is closed open it back up and do a Save to Central, to return "your books" to avoid a late fee.

Another approach to this might be to open the central file choosing Detach From Central first. Do your "worst" then close without saving to discard your "changes"...

cparsons
2006-02-17, 06:42 AM
excellent-ish.

at least i know what to tell them now.

thanks for the speedy reply steve!

ilya.bass
2006-02-17, 01:53 PM
Then when the file is closed open it back up and do a Save to Central, to return "your books" to avoid a late fee.

There is also File -> Relinquish All Mine - that will work faster than Save To Central.

But opening "Detached" was indeed intended precisely for the described case of making a quick change "on the fly".

cparsons
2006-02-17, 10:39 PM
excellent all around. thanks for the help and have a great weekend.

chris

iru69
2006-02-17, 11:31 PM
cparsons is too forgiving.

This is a major annoyance of worksets. Detach from Central when opening only works if you know that you want to discard the changes ahead of time. Having to not relinquish, and then reopen to save is time consuming and the whole process is confusing and not intuitive. There should be a way to discard changes easily and instantly.