PDA

View Full Version : Need Images of Marines, Soldiers, etc. for Rendering

odomarchitects1810
2004-04-20, 01:12 PM
RPC says they will come out with some in the fall. Anyone know a source for military figures?

I have a proposed Korean War Memorial that might include full size sculptures of Marines, Soldiers, etc. I need to do a realistic rendering and have not found a source.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Darrel

aggockel50321
2004-04-20, 02:28 PM
You can try a poor man's rpc.

Find a soldier image you like (do a google search in their images section).

In a generic family, open an elevation (front) view, import your image, stretch the image so it's the correct life-like size.

Create a solid extrusion ~1/2" thick, using as it'd defining edge, a trace of the imported image, sort of like a silhouette.

When finished with the extrusion, delete the image, & save the family.

In a plan view, load the family in your project, place it & orient it close to perpendicular to your view camera.

Using the "plane" command, pick the front face of the board soldier. Go to the view that Revits prompts, & if a 3d view, orient by user plane.

Using the decal command under the modeling tab, place the image you used for the trace on the board, stretch it to fit. (may take a little adjusting.) Don't worry about portions of image not on board. It won't render.

Go to decal properties. You can adjust the "bump" to make the image mimic 3d.

Render the scene.

robmorfin
2004-04-20, 07:24 PM
find the image you like, create an alpha image of it in Photoshop, download RPC creator from Archivision (it's free), and use these two images to create your rpc.

Roger Evans
2004-04-20, 07:38 PM
I have a couple of questions

Does it have to be Photoshop?? ie Can I use other programs??

What does Alpha image mean ?? (I assume copied & handed) ??

Roger

beegee
2004-04-20, 10:21 PM
What does Alpha image mean ?? (I assume copied & handed) ??
Roger

You use alpha channels to create and store masks, which let you manipulate, isolate, and protect specific parts of an image.
Channels are grayscale images that store different types of information:

Roger Evans
2004-04-20, 11:02 PM
Clear as Day Thanks

Guess I'll stick to Photsuite for now

Cheers

Roger

PeterJ
2004-04-21, 08:13 AM
I don't know PhotSuite (Photo Suite?) but the same tools are available in PaintShop Pro, more or less, at significantly less than Photoshop, Roger.

robmorfin
2004-05-03, 08:08 PM
By the way, here is a tutorial for How to Create Your Own RPC® Objects:

http://accustudio.com/forum/tutorials/rpc-create.htm

gbrowne
2004-06-02, 09:51 AM
Here's a thought... Why doesn't Revit come with more RPC objects? Or can you download them or purchase them or something. RPC people, cars etc add so much to a render, you would think they would be more accessible...