PDA

View Full Version : Log siding w/ criss cross corners

Kroke
2003-05-29, 06:04 AM
As I get further into Revit and my projects, I'm tempted to do a real log siding one.

But, I don't know if you can do it and make it worth your while.
I believe I've seen something of a profile on a wall (1/2 rounds) for log siding before, but I don't know where the post is.

How about the criss cross ends on the exterior corners, how might you go about that project too?

I'm just trying to use the model as best I can to represent what it is I'm trying to do. Anyone want a stab at it?

Thanks for all the help here this last week too btw guys.

eegbertson
2003-05-29, 02:13 PM
You can do it with Vertically compound walls and integral sweeps. The ends of the sweeps can be adjusted to overlap the ends.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-5/190718/cabin.jpg

PeterJ
2003-05-29, 04:07 PM
I like that. I'm almost tempted to find a client I can persuade....

Kroke
2003-05-29, 06:14 PM
You can do it with Vertically compound walls and integral sweeps. The ends of the sweeps can be adjusted to overlap the ends.

Wow, stunning! Just what I was looking for! Where can I read up or do a tutorial to learn how to do this? Right now we are in for some full log projects and frankly, I'm freaking out trying to figure out how to do this.

Is there some literature or something (anything) that I can read or do to learn how to use this method?

PS, the doors and windows cut into the walls just fine also?

SWEET!

eegbertson
2003-05-29, 07:32 PM
you have mail.

eegbertson
2003-05-29, 09:27 PM
Your mailbox was too full or won't accept messages over 1MB. I am trying to add it here.

The best way to understand how this was created is to check the hlp under "Vertically compound Walls". Look for the sub section Wall Sweeps and reveals.

This use is a little extreme but will work. Inserts will cut the wall and sweeps but you still need to make sure the window is a logical size. You may encounter some trickines placing the window if the sweeps entirely hide the underlying wall.

Kroke
2003-05-29, 10:48 PM
Eegbertson,
Hey man, thanks a lot! I have a major deadline due here today, so I'll disect this baby tomorrow. Thanks a ton to you for the file!

Kroke
2003-05-30, 08:15 PM
Eegbertson,
I checked it out, very cool! I will dig into this more if I get a chance. I can't wait to start using this method for a project in the future.
THanks again for sharing your info.

Doug
2003-06-13, 01:10 AM
Very Cool...
I figured out the way to set up the logs... but where did you get the rendering materials for the logs? Not the same one that is in the file as in the rendering. Would you share that material?

Doug

rocknroll1730
2003-10-20, 11:19 PM
Got the round logs and round siding on the second story.
Now what do I do - how do I get them to show as log in the rendering.
This has been a real pain - well considering I have done the walk through and one two day class.
You have to have two log wall types - one starting with a half log the other ending with a half log.
Every other wall has to be a different type than the one beside it.
Now if I could just get them to show wood grain along the length of the log in plan view I am almost there.

Confessional time - ADT user trying to convert - My mantra is "this ain't my daddy's autocad - this ain't my daddy's autocad" Repeat till head banging ceases.

beegee
2003-10-20, 11:56 PM
You look strangely familar, have we met before ? ( Nevermind, I'll check you out in the database )

eegbertson, of the Waltham MAfia, has removed the image of log siding wall. He also has the rendering material you need , or maybe Kroke, if hes listening, got his hands on it. Yes, I think you gotta have the two log wall types.

eegbertson is busy with some pet project ( R6 or something ), so I hope he checks in.

This Link
(www.zoogdesign.com/forums/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=345) shows one of Krokes log houses, but uses a different rendering material for the logs.

Stay tuned.

mlgatzke
2003-10-21, 02:33 AM
Donnia,

Boy, I would have thought you would have logged in under an alias or something similar. You've been chanting the AutoCAD evangelism for so long I thought I was in the wrong forum for a second. ;-)

I've been using Revit since November and can tell you that once you get used to Revit, you won't want to go back. I switched my personal license from ADT to Revit in mid-January.

My best recommendation is NOT to try to understand Revit by "building" from your AutoCAD knowledge - simply learn Revit as a COMPLETELY new package.

I've been teaching Revit in my local community college and have seen students learn it VERY quickly and become proficient with it in a very short time. Last Spring, my students used Revit for the first time on a commercial project of around 20,000 sq.ft. It was a single-story educational facility with a mechanical penthouse on top. They were able to do 150% of the work that the previous class had done in ADT and were able to do it in only about 75% of the lab hours. I don't know about you, but I found that quite impressive.

Give it a fair chance and you'll love it too.

Does this mean that we'll see you in Revit classes at this year's AU?

There are rumblings of a Revit get-together during the conference. I'm sure I speak for everyone when I say that we'd love to have you join us.

Sorry for the ramble.

eegbertson
2003-12-18, 05:41 PM
Sorry for the hiatus. The rendering material was just a default Accurender bitmap from the BMCD2AR3 library. I can't recall which one but it was nothing special.

The image was lost when my free image server account became a pay site. I now have some web space I'll see if I can repost the image.

eegbertson
2003-12-18, 06:19 PM
Here it is:

http://southforwinter.com/revit/logwall.jpg

rocknroll1730
2003-12-24, 06:54 PM
That looks like what I did for making my log walls.
I would just like to get the cut between the logs to show up also.
Anyone got any ideas?

(Sorry about being gone so long - seems lik AU season gets longer every year. I didn't make the revit classes there - hoping to download the material. I only made one class while at AU - that was the one I was teaching!)