PDA

View Full Version : Modeling slab edges

jrichardson
2006-02-22, 08:23 PM
How are others modeling composite floor slabs. Currently my slab makeup is 4" conc over 2" comp deck. The extent of the slab goes to whatever the slab edge distance is from the centerline of the beam. When I flip up my section the deck runs out past the beam centerline. Normally you would see a pour stop of bent plate at this area. Couple things.

I tried was to apply a profile slab edge to it and join it the the slab. This masked out the deck and give it somewhat of the look I wanted. I also tried and in place sweep which worked in a similar way. I was hoping that I could eventually get it to flex with my slab edge when this changes versus having to change the profile type.

Ultimately it would be nice to specify a setback distance for the deck at each slab edge or unlock the deck layer similar to the walls. Is this possible? How are others tackling this?

thanks for the input

Paul Andersen
2006-02-22, 09:07 PM
I've run into the same issue. I've utilized both methods that you outline in your post as well as a detail component slapped on the section that consists of a bent plate, some filled regions and invisible lines (pretty low tech solution I know). Here's hoping for a better solution in RS3. You should add this to the wishlist.

lzaras
2011-05-06, 06:22 PM
any updates for this issue?

Up to this point, I've just been handling this in each section view, with detailing (grouping and copying to detail views as needed.) But now, my architects are wanting me to model my slab edges. Just looking to see how others are doing it...

dmahan
2011-05-10, 06:02 PM
I use the slab edge tool, with profile same thickness as slab, and add it to the edge of slab.
you have to allow for width of edge profile. You can also add edge angle to profile. If you set materials of edge profile to match slab. The edge and slab should join together to look as one object.
You could also add a few parameters to profile to change dimensions if needed.