PDA

View Full Version : Footing lineweight issues

jmctamney
2006-02-27, 10:30 PM
I have a foundation plan where my footings are held down 1'-6" from the top of slab. Here is the issue. Anything less than 2'-0" below the top of slab and anything appearing under the slab shows correctly, (color, line style etc.) Anything more than 2'-0" below top of slab AND outside the edge of slab shows up a different color and prints in pen #1. Anyone care to make a guess why this is happeneing. I would appreciate it.

See attached...

Paul Andersen
2006-02-28, 01:38 AM
Judging by the looks of your attachment I'm assuming this is with regards to a file -> export -> dwg or you've got one tricked out RS setup :). I don't have a copy of RS at home so I can't verify this at the moment but I'll throw a couple suggestions out there.

First thing I'd check is your view range settings. Typically with regards to the view range we have the foundation plans cut plane set to 1'-0"+/- above the basement slab or slab on grade. We then set the bottom primary range and view depth to be below the bottom of the lowest footing. This should export using the hidden line settings for footings under the slabs and the projection line settings for footings not under the slab. If your bottom primary range is set above some of your footings and your view depth is set below the footings it will probably be displaying with the beyond settings.

Another thing to consider would be if you use the linework tool or any visibility/graphics overrides which the exporter may treat differently. I noticed that your footing lines outside of the exterior wall are displaying dashed which I don't believe is RS's default behaviour.

If this doesn't do the trick or if I've missed the boat just post back so we can have another shot at it. It would also be useful to post a small chunk of your actual model to examine how it's set up.

jmctamney
2006-02-28, 01:18 PM
Nothing too fancy about my RS setup. We just have a black background and use colors to emulate our ACAD layers to ease the transition. Anyway, back to the problem. I'm not exporting the file at all. All of the behavior I'm experiencing is inside Revit. The attachment was to show how the lines are changing. I thought it was associated with the view range also. Our defaults for the primary view range is to have the cut plane at 1'-0" above the top of slab and top is at 2'-0" above and bottom is set to 4'-0" below with depth set at unlimited. I've changed the setting numerous times (did you know the max setting for bottom is 6'-0"?) with no luck. I'm beginning to think it's a bug and will be e-mailing Autodesk if I can't find a solution. Let me know if you come up with anything else.

rmcelvain.103137
2006-02-28, 01:58 PM
Like Paul said, it'd be helpful to have a snippet of the model to look at the issue a little closer. I'm guessing you've modeled the interior slab-on-grade and that the problem lies with the fact that the interior footing linework is "below" that. Try deleting your SOG and seeing if that makes the interior items behave the same as the exterior?

I believe Revit treats items below other items in a different way. Can anyone confirm this?

jmctamney
2006-02-28, 02:06 PM
OK, I feel stupid now. Turns out I had an override burried in the view settings for structural foundations. Just one of the HUNDREDS of things easily overlooked in the template. Thanks for all the help.

rmcelvain.103137
2006-02-28, 02:14 PM
OK, I feel stupid now. Turns out I had an override burried in the view settings for structural foundations. Just one of the HUNDREDS of things easily overlooked in the template. Thanks for all the help.
Come on now, share the knowledge :) , what override was it?

Paul Andersen
2006-02-28, 02:18 PM
Even though it's not an export the view range issues still apply. Bad assumption on my part. We run as much out of the box as we can so I'm not used to the black background and colors.

Just to elaborate a little on our typical foundation setup we typically have the level set to be the top of slab. All of the view range drop down boxes are set to Associated Level. Cut plane offset is 1'-0". Bottom offset is a negative number that is set below the bottom of the lowest footing. Same with the view depth. The Bottom and View Depth could also be set to unlimited for most foundation work. The most critical setting we've found is that the Bottom be set below the bottom of the lowest footing with the View Depth set the same or lower. This allows all foundations under the slab to be displayed as hidden and all the foundations not under a slab to be displayed with projection settings. If your bottom plane is cutting through any of your footings or is above we've found that the hidden lines don't generally work and the linework will probably display with beyond settings if they are still within your view depth.

As for a maximum bottom setting of -6'-0" I cannot duplicate that on my end. The only limitation that I'm aware of is that it can't be set below the view depth or above the cut plane or top and will error if you do.

Since you have changed a lot of the coloring and possibly linestyles I would also check the following as well. I'm making another assumption that you've tweaked most of your settings under the object styles dialog. The footing lines under a slab with the view set to hidden line mode will use the hidden line settings for the structural foundations category in the object styles dialog (Default weight 1 for projection and cut, line color black, line pattern dash). The footing lines not under a slab will either use the projection settings of the structural foundation category in you object styles dialog box (Default weight 2, line color black, line pattern solid) if the footing in it's entirety is above the bottom plane otherwise it will use the beyond line settings found in your Settings -> Line Styles dialog. This is all assuming that you have not set any visibility/graphics overrides or made extensive use of the linework tool. I'd still be interested in seeing a small portion of your model if you still can't get this to work.

Paul Andersen
2006-02-28, 02:21 PM
Thought I hit the submit reply button before getting up to refill my water bottle. Glad you found the culprit.

jmctamney
2006-02-28, 05:21 PM
It was a line style over ride in the view settings. I had a hidden line set for all footings and it was overriding what I had set for footing in my object styles. This is our first project in RS so we are still working out the bugs. Looks like we need to start with our templates.