PDA

View Full Version : G-Force Cards and Open GL issues how to avoid

Persistance
2004-04-23, 05:11 AM
I have tried about 4 different series of the G-Force cards up to the 5900FX and Quadro cards. I have found Open GL to occasionaly do a few odd things BUT, WHATEVER YOU DO DON'T LOAD THE WINDOWS UPDATE FOR G-FORCE CARDS.

I found this to be a garanteed way to totaly stuff the performace of the G-Force cards in Revit especialy if you have Open GL turned on. Some of the cards basicaly became unusable in Open GL mode with the update loaded. Either use the CD that came with the card or in the case of the cards that are a little older just go to Nvidia's site and download the driver update which will take care of most of the cards. Also overclocking of the cards with things like the detonator/quadro hack can produce some undesirable results.

But if you are using max I do recommend you get hold of the detonator hack for your G-Force card it basicaly turns a $200 G-Force card into a $1,500 Quadro card (within reason) by changing the drivers and unlocking parts of the processing performace of the chip. Very impressive in testing but can cause the odd glitch when working on large models in shaded Open GL

Wes Macaulay
2004-04-26, 01:17 AM
I keep Windows Update off per this post (http://www.zoogdesign.com/forums/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2526).

hand471037
2004-04-26, 01:56 AM
This is a great tip- the windows drivers once totally screwed a soundcard in an old computer of mine. Ever since then I only trust drivers that come directly from the manufacturer or the 'sub-manufacturer' (i.e. I'm using the drivers direct from ATI, not from Sager, the people who made my laptop).