PDA

View Full Version : Roads, Driveways & Streets

kjgiant
2004-04-27, 08:22 PM
I can see "roads" as an item to turn on & off. But where do I start to model a driveway that follows th topo?

SkiSouth
2004-04-27, 08:48 PM
Simply take your topo and split it along the driveway lines.

(Site menu- Split Surface command)

Change the material from grass or earth to concrete, asphalt etc, and instantly you have a driveway - Almost to cool.

Now if we could only run a sweep along that topo edge ........ Factory????

beegee
2004-04-27, 10:27 PM
Now if we could only run a sweep along that topo edge ........ Factory????

Try the curb (kerb ) pieces on RUGI.

SkiSouth
2004-04-28, 01:55 AM
[quote:d503eb9976="Skisouth"]Now if we could only run a sweep along that topo edge ........ Factory????

Try the curb (kerb ) pieces on RUGI.[/quote:d503eb9976]

I have, but I'm basically lazy.Its a lot less work to have a sweep that would attach to the topo then sweep the edge, rather than having to place every 10'-0" piece (or whatever length) of curbing. As you can see from the attached jpg, its pretty easy for the whole mess to get screwed up before anyone knows what's happening.

The attached jpg is a direct import from a consultant. Topo Split, and curbing applied. This hasn't gotten to the radii, and they are much harder. As Revit is such a time saver, this is really a hard solution to swallow, when it appears that a simple sweep path attached to the topo edge to again improve the effectiveness of modeling curbing. For the most part the curbing follows the edge, but its definitely a timeconsuming approach compared to a floor swept edge..

Chad Smith
2004-04-28, 03:03 AM
I hate the topo object and the tools that go along with it.

Have a look at this wishlist post that I made a while ago.
http://www.zoogdesign.com/forums/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2590&highlight

bobo
2004-04-28, 03:25 AM
Okay, you can't sweep along a topo path...yet, but it really is not that hard to create a wall that sits level with the kerbing and the same width. Simply extrude as required...If the contours change, simply edit in elevation the wall, not too hard. Can't imagine why one would use those kerb segments you indicated.. :lol:

SkiSouth
2004-04-28, 10:55 AM
Okay, you can't sweep along a topo path...yet, but it really is not that hard to create a wall that sits level with the kerbing and the same width. Simply extrude as required...If the contours change, simply edit in elevation the wall, not too hard. Can't imagine why one would use those kerb segments you indicated.. :lol:

Like I said - I'm lazy it was what was available to illustrate my point a straight insert of the kerb... :lol: Anyway, think of a 2 or 3 foot drop down and around a 5'-0" radius curb. Sure would be nice to sweep that edge versus having to edit for 30 minutes or more that ONE area.

kjgiant
2004-05-02, 03:01 PM
Thank you all!