PDA

View Full Version : Rules of thumb for AutoCAD (and life)

Mamma Jamma
2006-03-21, 08:52 PM
:)
In no particular order

•If you think there should be an easier way to do something, there probably is. Look into it! There are boundless resources out there (or sitting next to you – look over someone’s shoulder, or ask how they do it)
•Keep it simple.
•Look with your eyes! (OK, this is akin to what I used to ask my kids when they couldn't find something hidden in plain sight– “did you look with your eyes?”) But, if you are gazing at a drawing on your screen – say, a vendor or specialty drawing - and it doesn't look “right” (i.e. like all your other drawings), it likely won’t plot properly with your usual pen setting. Instead of killing all those trees in vain, look a little harder, do a full preview, and adjust accordingly.
•If you don’t know how to do something, ask someone who does, but…
•Write down things you need to remember. If you find yourself asking the same question repeatedly, write down the answer so you can look it up yourself next time. (hint: if you tell me, supposedly in jest, “I’ll ask you again tomorrow” and then actually do it…we've got a problem)

Wanderer
2006-03-22, 01:24 AM
•Write down things you need to remember. If you find yourself asking the same question repeatedly, write down the answer so you can look it up yourself next time. (hint: if you tell me, supposedly in jest, “I’ll ask you again tomorrow” and then do actually it…we've got a problem)ah, the 'monitor sunflower'... oh, yeah, I've had up to 30 post-its on my monitor with various sysvars and web addy's and telephone numbers that'd I'd frequently need (read: forget).

all great tips there, sue!

robert.1.hall72202
2006-03-22, 01:21 PM
ah, the 'monitor sunflower'... oh, yeah, I've had up to 30 post-its on my monitor with various sysvars and web addy's and telephone numbers that'd I'd frequently need (read: forget).

all great tips there, sue!

Do charts with scale factors count?
What about a keypad chart that reminds me what temporary
overides the number pad is setup for?

I even have a dry erase type material stuck to the surface of my desk
for writting down all kinds of notes. Yes, it is cool.
See the self stick whiteboard sheet:
http://www.3m.com/us/office/postit/products/prod_bb.html

Wanderer
2006-03-22, 05:55 PM
that's one I've never taken down. Eventually the sysvars and things I need stayed stuck in my head where they belong, and I took the post-its down, but, I still use my scale factor chart taped up there (have a CRT, plenty of space on the frame lol)

oh, I have a desk calendar for things I need to remember for a few weeks... can't go wrong there.

Do charts with scale factors count?

I even have a dry erase type material stuck to the surface of my desk
for writting down all kinds of notes. Yes, it is cool.
See the self stick whiteboard sheet:
http://www.3m.com/us/office/postit/products/prod_bb.html