PDA

View Full Version : Moving parts inside subassembly

chadwickt
2006-03-27, 09:32 PM
I hope I explain this well enough...

In an assembly you are allowed to drag underconstrained components. For example, let's say I have an assembly of a car, and I am able to spin one of it's wheels around it's axle.

Now let's say that I put that assembly of the car into another assembly (as a subassembly). Then let's say I constrain this car to something else in the assembly. I am unable to rotate the wheel, even if I change selection priority to Part.

Is there something that can be done to allow you to move an underconstrained component inside of a subassembly?

Thanks in advance,
Tracy

jonathan.landeros
2006-03-28, 08:25 AM
I hope I explain this well enough...

In an assembly you are allowed to drag underconstrained components. For example, let's say I have an assembly of a car, and I am able to spin one of it's wheels around it's axle.

Now let's say that I put that assembly of the car into another assembly (as a subassembly). Then let's say I constrain this car to something else in the assembly. I am unable to rotate the wheel, even if I change selection priority to Part.

Is there something that can be done to allow you to move an underconstrained component inside of a subassembly?

Thanks in advance,
TracyTry making the sub-assembly flexible (right click on the subassembly and choose 'Flexible'). This should let the sub-assembly move in any direction it's still free to move.

chadwickt
2006-03-29, 03:23 PM
Fantastic!
Thank you for your help Jonathan. Once you posted that I slapped myself on the forehead because I remember seeing that at AU.
Thanks again,
Tracy

jonathan.landeros
2006-03-29, 04:33 PM
No Problem! Glad I could help.

Buffeldrek
2006-07-20, 06:48 AM
oooh right - flexible

wasn't it like turn an assembly adaptive in the earlier days, just to make its constrains open to move - in the higher assembly ??

robert.templeton
2006-07-26, 08:47 PM
The ADAPTIVE switch is still there and is still very useful. When you make a part or assembly ADAPTIVE, you can adjust its unconstrained details. All other copies of that part or subassembly are also adjusted; they are all the same. If you have two copies of a shock absorber and one of them is ADAPTIVE, both will move the same amount.

If you make a part or subassembly FLEXIBLE, you can adjust its unconstrained details independently from the other copies of it. if you have two shock absorbers and both of them are FLEXIBLE, you can move each shock absorber separately and your car can have independent suspension.

I usually make hinges FLEXIBLE so that I can open each door independently.