PDA

View Full Version : Autodesk's view of BIM

Brian Myers
2006-03-27, 09:41 PM
A VERY interesting article on how Autodesk view's BIM and its eventual implementation:

http://www.aecbytes.com/viewpoint/2006/issue_23.html

A favorite quote:

"If BIM could have been realized by simply adding to the old technology, Autodesk would have done it and saved ourselves a great deal of time, money and effort. But you simply can't do BIM without creating technology from the ground up that is based on modern principles of computation—technology that has, at its foundation, the idea of working with a building in software using coordinated, consistent, and computable information."

aaronrumple
2006-03-27, 11:43 PM
A VERY interesting article on how Autodesk view's BIM and its eventual implementation:

http://www.aecbytes.com/viewpoint/2006/issue_23.html

A favorite quote:

"If BIM could have been realized by simply adding to the old technology, Autodesk would have done it and saved ourselves a great deal of time, money and effort. But you simply can't do BIM without creating technology from the ground up that is based on modern principles of computation—technology that has, at its foundation, the idea of working with a building in software using coordinated, consistent, and computable information."
Great: BIM is being lead by lawyers... We're doomed.

BWG
2006-03-28, 02:48 PM
So, ADT isn't BIM afterall, by admission.

ejburrell67787
2006-03-28, 03:25 PM
So, ADT isn't BIM afterall, by admission.Autodesk market Revit as BIM, they market ADT as AutoCAD for architects. Looks like ADT is getting closer to BIM though.

PeterJ
2006-03-28, 04:42 PM
Looks like ADT is getting closer to BIM though.
Yes it does, but I am working with ADT at present and the tools, while good, are still not bi-directional. The schedules for example all feature an update button and you can't change something in a schedule and expect the change to be made in the model. Also, because the ADT dataset is added over the underlying AutoCAD data they have not left any other 'hooks' that I have found to allow one to add data to via something similar to shared parameters. If you want to add additional data you add it to a tag, which is essentially a block (though it can read data from the object it relates to, say door dims), to access the data you schedule the tags so if the data you want is spread across object and tag and the tag is not set up to read the data, then you can't get at it in that schedule.

It has some powerful features but it's still very frustrating and it remains so dense and inpenetrable that people still mainly use it as AutoCAD with knobs on. I'm impressed, but not as impressed as I was with Revit at R3.11 when I bought in.

kpaxton
2006-03-29, 02:56 AM
Autodesk market Revit as BIM, they market ADT as AutoCAD for architects. Looks like ADT is getting closer to BIM though.Smoke and Mirrors, my friend, Smoke and Mirrors....

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain!!!

:D
Kyle

rodneyf
2006-03-29, 12:27 PM
I was thinking more along the lines of:
Just smile and wave boys, Just smile and wave.