PDA

View Full Version : Updating sheet file views

elowe494
2006-03-29, 01:41 PM
We are using ADT2006.
All files have visretain set to 1.
All files are STB plotting but this shouldn't matter.

We create a Construct file CONS01.dwg

We then create a View from the construct. Add text etc. VIEW01.dwg

We create a view and drag the construct into it. In this view we add text and notes, freeze some layers, change the colors of others, and save.

We then create a Sheet from the view drawing. SHEET01.dwg

We create a sheet by draging the view into paperspace. When this is done the view files' information comes in correctly. However the original construct comes in with all the layers unfrozen and the colors the way they were saved in the construct.

During the progress of the job we add more things to the original CONS01.dwg because these items need to be visually different in the view we change things like layer color, lineweight etc. via the layer dialog box.

When you go back into the SHEET01.dwg none of the edits reguarding the CONS01.dwg file done in the VIEW01.dwg stick, everything shows up like it is curently residing in the CONS01.dwg. This is causing A LOT of duplication of work to try and make the final sheet look like the views.

I was going to use layerstate manager to fix this but in other drawings I have multiple views in the same sheet file which means any overlapping layer names from the same construct will be a problem for layer statemanager to handle.

How do I fix this? Or what is your process for managing layers throughout the construct-view-sheet process?

Steve_Bennett
2006-04-06, 07:17 AM
First, I just want to clarify a few things.

How are you creating your view files, by using the dialog box & walking thru the steps to create a view file, copying an existing one & dragging constructs into it? The first process is the one you should be using.

Are you creating "named model space views" in the view file & dragging those into the sheet?

Are you working solely with Project Navigator (PN) (i.e.: opening, creating, dragging/dropping xrefs, managing file locations) to work on the files or are you trying to do some of that in windows explorer? If the later is the case, don't do that - PN doesn't like it.

elowe494
2006-04-10, 01:03 PM
We create the view files from PN. The first process you outlined.

We have created named views and tried creating single dwg files. Neither seemed to work.

Only PN I hate double clicking in I.E. I would luv to turn that off if I could.

Ed

Chuckyd67
2006-04-18, 08:42 PM
Instead of using layers to manage your views, would it be better to use display properties? I have had trouble with layers and line weights, as well, and avoiding the layer management procedure seems to work best overall.

dzatto
2007-10-04, 11:21 PM
Did anyone ever find a solution to this. I'm having the same problem with a structural construct. Paul Aubins book suggest to annotate the construct when dealing with column grids since the grid itself won't anchor the columns if it's an Xref. He also suggests dimensioning in the construct. So I did. Problem is, I need to show some of the beams in my floor plan (they are actually runners that create the pit openings for our lube bays). Easy so far, I just freeze the unwanted layers in my floor view; but when I pull my floor view into my sheet, all layers are thawed. If I freeze the unwanted layers in the sheet, then save and close it they are back again when I reopen it. Is there any way to do this other than not having the column grid and columns anchored? I guess I could create another construct that shows the beams I need for the floor plan, but then I'd have the same things drawn in 2 drawings, and if you update one and not the other...................it could get messy.

Steve_Bennett
2007-10-05, 12:44 AM
Did anyone ever find a solution to this. I'm having the same problem with a structural construct. Paul Aubins book suggest to annotate the construct when dealing with column grids since the grid itself won't anchor the columns if it's an Xref. He also suggests dimensioning in the construct. So I did. Problem is, I need to show some of the beams in my floor plan (they are actually runners that create the pit openings for our lube bays). Easy so far, I just freeze the unwanted layers in my floor view; but when I pull my floor view into my sheet, all layers are thawed. If I freeze the unwanted layers in the sheet, then save and close it they are back again when I reopen it. Is there any way to do this other than not having the column grid and columns anchored? I guess I could create another construct that shows the beams I need for the floor plan, but then I'd have the same things drawn in 2 drawings, and if you update one and not the other...................it could get messy.There is a setting in PN project properties (2008 only) that will override the settings of layers in sheets upon reload of xrefs. have you tried toggling that switch?

dzatto
2007-10-08, 01:32 PM
There is a setting in PN project properties (2008 only) that will override the settings of layers in sheets upon reload of xrefs. have you tried toggling that switch?
Are you talking about "match sheet view layers to view"? If so, it's set to yes. That's the correct setting I think, isn't it?

dzatto
2007-10-08, 01:38 PM
I tried both, and it still does the same thing.

dzatto
2007-10-08, 04:10 PM
For some reason, my sheet layouts don't look like my view layouts. They window sills are missing, and some other things I turned off above the cut plane are now displaying. I thought the sheet view was an exact image of the view, just set up to plot. Any ideas?

dkoch
2007-10-09, 04:54 PM
For some reason, my sheet layouts don't look like my view layouts. They window sills are missing, and some other things I turned off above the cut plane are now displaying. I thought the sheet view was an exact image of the view, just set up to plot. Any ideas?
Just guessing here, but one thing to check is whether the template files you are using for sheets and views (and constructs, too) have the same display settings. Not just the names of the Display Configurations (although missing or differently named DCs would be a problem), but also the assigned Display Representation Sets, the Display Representations turned on in the Sets and the settings in the Display Representations. If you have different settings in your Sheet files, that is what will govern at the drawing default level.

Chuckyd67
2007-10-09, 04:58 PM
I, too, have had problems with display settings with Project Navigator. Maybe this is asking too much, but shouldn't the view document establish the setting for the sheet files? Is it that hard to do? I have had to go through and revise display settings for all three documents in order to have the correct appearance on the sheet. Makes one want to go back to freezing layers.

dzatto
2007-10-11, 02:40 PM
Just guessing here, but one thing to check is whether the template files you are using for sheets and views (and constructs, too) have the same display settings. Not just the names of the Display Configurations (although missing or differently named DCs would be a problem), but also the assigned Display Representation Sets, the Display Representations turned on in the Sets and the settings in the Display Representations. If you have different settings in your Sheet files, that is what will govern at the drawing default level.
I think that's what it was. I realized this morning I was using a template I had created a long time ago. It was my typical border. I opened the AEC sheet template, deleted that border and inserted mine as a block. That way, all of the settings should be there. Now, when I insert a view, it's perfect, and all the layers that were turned frozen remained frozen. One question though, is the sheet view supposed to be monotone? Everything inserts as white, even the border is white (in paper space). Just looks wierd to me since I've never used PN before. Just wondering if that's normal behavior.

dkoch
2007-10-11, 11:03 PM
I think that's what it was. I realized this morning I was using a template I had created a long time ago. It was my typical border. I opened the AEC sheet template, deleted that border and inserted mine as a block. That way, all of the settings should be there. Now, when I insert a view, it's perfect, and all the layers that were turned frozen remained frozen. One question though, is the sheet view supposed to be monotone? Everything inserts as white, even the border is white (in paper space). Just looks wierd to me since I've never used PN before. Just wondering if that's normal behavior.
Assuming that you have a plot style assigned to that layout that plots monochrome, you probably also have the layout set to display plot styles. Uncheck that toggle in the Page Setup for the layout.

dzatto
2007-10-12, 07:02 PM
Assuming that you have a plot style assigned to that layout that plots monochrome, you probably also have the layout set to display plot styles. Uncheck that toggle in the Page Setup for the layout.
:| I forgot all about that little toggle. Damn Toggle!!!! Thanks. :beer: