PDA

View Full Version : Field for Dview twist in Paperspace

SRBalliet
2006-04-06, 12:16 PM
How do you link the field for Dview twist in a Paperspace viewport? In Model Space all you have to do is bring it in the drawing, but that doesn't work in Paperspace.

Mike.Perry
2006-04-08, 12:54 AM
Hi

I do not think you can...

Why? - As far as I can see, there does not appear to be a method associated with Fields to access ViewTwist on a per Floating Viewport basis.

Have a good one, Mike

SRBalliet
2006-04-10, 11:03 AM
Hi Mike,

Then do you know where you would be able to use that field or what good it is? They must have put it in there for something, but I can't get it to do anything. Thanks

Mike.Perry
2006-04-10, 11:21 AM
Then do you know where you would be able to use that field or what good it is? They must have put it in there for something, but I can't get it to do anything. ThanksHi

From what I can remember of the testing I carried out last week...

When system variable ViewTwist is used within a Field, the current value associated with ViewTwist is displayed, hence...

As far as I can see, there does not appear to be a method associated with Fields to access ViewTwist on a per Floating Viewport basis.Therefore you can use ViewTwist within a Field to display the current value associated with it...

If you only have one ViewTwist within your drawing file, then it should not create a problem...

But if you have more than one ViewTwist within your drawing file, I did not see a way of displaying the values associated with multiple ViewTwist.

Below is extracted from the AutoCAD Online Help File [F1]...

Stores the view twist angle for the current viewportTherefore I would say there is a bug with Fields when using the system variable ViewTwist.

Have a good one, Mike

SRBalliet
2006-04-10, 02:15 PM
Thanks Mike.

Steve Johnson
2006-04-11, 02:27 AM
Hi
Therefore I would say there is a bug with Fields when using the system variable ViewTwist.

I'm not sure I'd call it a bug, just a "you can't do that". :| There is just one VIEWTWIST system variable, and it constantly gets updated as you move from one viewport to another. I would suggest that an alternative mechanism for this is a wishlist item.

What does look like a bug to me (2005-2007) is that when AutoCAD provides you various units formatting options for this angle variable, they are all linear options, not angle ones. What is the point of a twist angle of 30 degrees displaying as 0.5236?

In 2006 and up, you can apply a conversion factor and suffix to it, e.g.:

%<\AcVar.16.2 viewtwist \f "%lu2%pr1%ps[,%%d]%ct8[57.29577951308231]">%

but AutoCAD really shouldn't be using linear options for angle variables. I'm also intrigued as to why a version number is hardwired into the code. 2007 still uses 16.2, where I would have expected 17.0.

Mike.Perry
2006-04-11, 09:21 AM
Hi Steve

I'm not sure I'd call it a bug, just a "you can't do that". :| There is just one VIEWTWIST system variable, and it constantly gets updated as you move from one viewport to another. I would suggest that an alternative mechanism for this is a wishlist item.I think we will have to agree to disagree on the above...

What does look like a bug to me (2005-2007) is that when AutoCAD provides you various units formatting options for this angle variable, they are all linear options, not angle ones. What is the point of a twist angle of 30 degrees displaying as 0.5236?

In 2006 and up, you can apply a conversion factor and suffix to it, e.g.:

%<AcVar.16.2 viewtwist f "%lu2%pr1%ps[,%%d]%ct8[57.29577951308231]">%

but AutoCAD really shouldn't be using linear options for angle variables. I'm also intrigued as to why a version number is hardwired into the code. 2007 still uses 16.2, where I would have expected 17.0.Agree... definitely makes no sense to return the value in Radians ( especially as ViewTwist returns the value in the format specified by AUnits ).

:beer: Mike

Steve Johnson
2006-04-13, 03:05 AM
Hi Steve
I think we will have to agree to disagree on the above...

Agreed! Or should that be disagreed? ;)

Agree... definitely makes no sense to return the value in Radians ( especially as ViewTwist returns the value in the format specified by AUnits ).
Actually, VIEWTWIST is stored in radians, it's just that when AutoCAD displays angles it converts them before displaying:

Command: VIEWTWIST
VIEWTWIST = 30 (read only)
Command: (getvar "VIEWTWIST")