PDA

View Full Version : Call out sections as numbers or letters?

crohloff.72988
2006-04-18, 08:58 PM
I think the old-school drafting standard was to call out sections using letters and details as numbers. However, I've seen (and a major client requests) that we use numbers. Does anyone have any pro/cons to either standard? Our company standard seems to have gotten fuzzy over the years, so polling the company veterans resulted in answers of both letters & numbers. Thank you.

Comach
2006-04-19, 01:59 AM
We use numbers for details and letters for sections. The format for details is 2 digits long to maintain consistency i.e. 01 to 99.

The primary reason why we use numbers is that there are likely to be more details than sections - of course this will depend on your type of work. Whereas the alphabet will give you a limitation of 26 before you have to double up to dual characters.

There are some variations that I have seen on this theme where some companies may prefix their detail numbers with a D and similarly their sections with an S - thereby being able to adopt numbers for both sections and details.

Client requests can sometimes seem irrational at first - however they normally have their own documenting standards and want to ensure that all deliverables are in compliance.

JASONM30395
2006-04-19, 10:56 AM
We use numbers for details and letters for sections. The format for details is 2 digits long to maintain consistency i.e. 01 to 99.

The primary reason why we use numbers is that there are likely to be more details than sections - of course this will depend on your type of work. Whereas the alphabet will give you a limitation of 26 before you have to double up to dual characters.

This is how I was taught as well.

mmiller.112041
2006-05-02, 05:31 PM
I think it really comes down to what you want your standard to be.
I've seen it as all numbers for sections and details. As long as everything is correctly called out when referencing the plan to the detail numbers it becomes personal preferences (or company)

StephenJ
2006-05-02, 09:26 PM
I have adopted that sections are letters and plans and detals are numbers. It is easier to annotate the callouts when you have multiple objects on a drawing. For example, when you have a stair sheet that has plans, sections, and details on it.

tim.101799
2006-05-07, 12:15 AM
We use numbers for plans, details & sections. The number used depends where the plan, detail or section in question in placed on the sheet. That way you don't need to search a sheet for a detail. Detail #4 is always in the same general area and so on.

tedg
2006-05-11, 03:08 PM
We use (and I try to enforce) letters for sections and numbers for details. Every now and then we'll have an unsupervised new drafter in the company that may stray from this. Usually due to an unknowing architect or engineer (about the standards we're supposed to be using).

I think this does come from the old school of drafting. I've had friendly arguments with co-workers about the right way to do this. Some people (who came from other companies) have told me that they're used to seeing it done the other way around: numbers for sections and letters for details (?). It didn't make sense to me.

It's nice to see my argument has some backing!!

Thanks for the POST!
Ted

schmitzrd
2006-05-12, 04:48 PM
We use numbers for elevations & details and letters for plans and sections.

Doodlemusmaximus
2006-06-26, 11:09 AM
Thinks back to the begining when I started and I've always used letters for sections except when doing RC which has prefered the numbering system. I thought that this was a standard throughout the industry so I'm a little reluctant to change. Or sugest change for that matter.

I think it also relates back to BS standards for drawings as well, though I haven't seen the latest version that is meant to be coming out or have just been issued.

This is in relation to Civil's design so I'm not too sure if it is applicable to other sectors as well.

redWORKX
2006-06-26, 06:44 PM
I was originally taught numbers for horizontal plane elements and letters for vertical plane elements (which goes back to the mathematic and geographic sections of A to A' [or A to A prime]. However, there are many large AEC Cad Standards now which totally ignore letters, it's all numbers all the time.

Personally, I quit caring years ago, so long as the contractors receive and can build from a well organized and throughly detailed set of plans - I'm happy.