PDA

View Full Version : `round the house

slb
2004-05-17, 05:07 PM
O.K. so this isn't strictly architecture, but I was pretty impressed with myself on the effort...

Last summer we decided to put in a nicely landscaped sidewalk from our driveway to the front door. The flagstones just weren't doing anymore. Naturally I decided to use Revit to do some visualizations to get buyoff from the family. I took it further, however, and decided to let it do all of my deliverable takeoffs. The stones are individual families that I am able to schedule; the curbing is an in-place family from which I was able to measure the linear dimension to assist ordering. I used a floor under the stones to help determine a very accurate approximation of the square footage for the walkway, which in turn, helped me determine the yards of sand and gravel I was going to need (2 and 8 respectively).

In the end, I had about a dozen or so left over stones (which was by design to cover for breakage) and very little excess sand (new sandbox for the kids). My costing estimates came within $100, and the result, if I may say so, is a very nice walkway. Even if you don't particularly care for the design or material, it, at least, closely resembles the original design.

I must say, the most fun was designing the walkway and the lighting... moving 30 tons of material in and out of the hole has no glory in it and I never feel the need to do it again!

aggockel50321
2004-05-17, 05:48 PM
Came out really nice.

The granite stairs look nice. Are they on a foundation, or just set in place?

BTW, If you're in Mass., better add the stair handrails. When I sold my house down there, all those little code violations came back to haunt me after the home inspection.

Wow! Thirty tons? That's almost double what TEF moved in his song

16 Tons - Tennesee Ernie Ford
Some people say a man is made outta' mud
A poor man's made outta' muscle and blood
Muscle and blood and skin and bones
A mind that's a-weak and a back that's strong

You load sixteen tons, what do you get?
Another day older and deeper in debt

Also,

In the photo, you forgot to check "always vertical" in family parmeters for the watering can family...

Steve_Stafford
2004-05-17, 06:19 PM
Also, in the photo, you forgot to check "always vertical" in family parameters for the watering can family...

Very Funny!

slb
2004-05-17, 06:34 PM
The steps are set in place.

Thanks for the handrail advice, I think I'll cross home inspection "road" if/when I get to it. My hope is to make the house and grounds so nice we won't want to move (expanding the rear deck and adding converting a portion of it to a 3 season room is my next major project - I've been using design options to study the possible layouts in Revit).

The 30 ton number is actually ~15 tons of fill coming out and 15 tons going in. When I realized what the tonage was going to be (thanks to Revit) I quickly decided to rent a backhoe for a day. That was fun for the first couple of hours... by the 12th hour it was definitely "work"! It saved me a lot of days digging and filling by hand, but I was sore as %^!$# the next day anyways.

slb
2004-05-17, 06:39 PM
Also, in the photo, you forgot to check "always vertical" in family parameters for the watering can family...

I've got a request in to development to create a "Children Present" project paramameter. This parameter, when checked, would randomly take smaller families in the project and move, tip-over, hide, or stain them. It would also randomly place crayon markers on interior walls near the floor line and discolor small segments of any carpet material to represent play-dough.

PaulB
2004-05-17, 09:51 PM
Steve,

Just a general Revit question on the renderings, Why is it that you have a light spread and shadows created from the "bollard" lights yet there is no light visible on the actual light fitting itself ?