PDA

View Full Version : Change coordinate systems on the fly

jessebelcher
2006-04-25, 07:16 PM
Description: I would like to see the option to change the coordinate system of a drawing without having to do a query. If i have a dwg that is in TX83-NCF and a SID drawing that is in UTM83-15 I should be able to insert the SID file into a blank drawing and change the cord system to TX83-NCF save it then xref it into any drawing that is in TX83-NCF.

How Used: Change coordinates of drawings without doing a query

Feature Affinity: map

Jesse

Aquaserpent
2006-04-26, 10:54 AM
I feel your pain! However with that being said a SID should have a world file associated with it, and with the world file you should be able to insert the SID into your drawing no matter what the coordinate system and have it come in at the right coordinates. Are you using the insert image the under the map pull down? I have never had a problem inserting Sid's in this fashion, no matter what the coordinate system the drawing is using.

jessebelcher
2006-04-26, 02:07 PM
I can insert the Sid just fine its just what i have to do after that to get it to my coordinate system.I use TX83-NCF and the Sid file is UTM83-15 so they dont line up,unless you do a query to transform the Sid drawing to TX83-NCF. Thats a lot of hoops to get a Sid file to align up with TX83-NCF. I hate to say this but I wish it would work like ESRI. It don't care what coordinate system anything is in.Unless it dont have one,it will put the Sid file in the same coordinate system as the drawing I'm working in is. As long as i have a world file or prj file with it. Then again I have not seen 2007 yet. It should be here in the next week or so.

JB

bklagrone
2007-03-21, 01:22 PM
I have the same issue as jessebelcher. But I need to know how to do a
query to transform the images into the right coor. system.
Can someone explain this process.

jim.dahl
2010-02-09, 05:37 PM
I am not sure why I received an email stating this thread was updated, it looks like about 2 years ago.

Anyway, I drag and drop the drawing into the explorer pane in MAP, with both drawings having their respective coordinate systems defined. Then just query the image data. The image doesn't transform, only the frame. There might be a way to transform the image physically, but I do not know how. I use other software for that.

The process is similar to how ESRI does it but with CAD you have to assign the Coord system within the software whereas ESRI assigns the projection in an XML or other file.

Jim

Jmurphy
2010-02-09, 09:13 PM
[quote=jim.dahl;1044532]I am not sure why I received an email stating this thread was updated, it looks like about 2 years ago.
/quote]
You got the email if your settings are set to monitor the forum for any new messages. There was a new message posted to this thread by a spam bot that has since been deleted.