PDA

View Full Version : Bit of Advice Needed

Doodlemusmaximus
2006-04-27, 07:34 AM
Our firm is now moving into the market and is getting civils 3D (at long last) I've just completed an indroductory course into the package and thought it had a large amount of potential for our company. What I need to really know is what would be the minimum spec machine you would recomend to use for running it?

jpostlewait
2006-04-27, 12:26 PM
Our firm is now moving into the market and is getting civils 3D (at long last) I've just completed an indroductory course into the package and thought it had a large amount of potential for our company. What I need to really know is what would be the minimum spec machine you would recomend to use for running it?

Depends on a lot of things.
How big are the projects?
How much visual stuff could you be doing?
My rule of thumb for our implementation is.
Light weight users have HT 3.0 processors and 1 G ram
The shooters will have some kind of Dual Core processor and 2 G ram.

John Postlewait
IS Department
George Butler Associates, Inc.

Doodlemusmaximus
2006-04-28, 07:35 AM
Depends on a lot of things.
How big are the projects?
How much visual stuff could you be doing?
My rule of thumb for our implementation is.
Light weight users have HT 3.0 processors and 1 G ram
The shooters will have some kind of Dual Core processor and 2 G ram.

John Postlewait
IS Department
George Butler Associates, Inc.
Sounds about what I thought, I'll have to put a business case to the upper tier of management.

Cheers

Aquaserpent
2006-04-28, 10:51 AM
For the real heavy users I recommend 4 gigs of ram, on dual processors, and dual monitors.

dmarx
2006-04-28, 01:04 PM
For the real heavy users I recommend 4 gigs of ram, on dual processors, and dual monitors.

you recommend? or thats what you use?

if its the case of that is what you use, do you have any job openings? haha

Aquaserpent
2006-04-28, 01:47 PM
That is what I recommend, I have 2 gigs of ram right now and on large projects I will run into memory problems. So we have decided to up the memory to 4 gigs.

When you have a 1,000 acre DTM + Are rials + parcel data+ soils information, + ...
I had a drawing with this scenario that was eating up 1.5 gig of ram when open, and left no room to function. During the DTM editing process I had to detach the Aerials and a lot of other information, and only reinserted them when needed. After I finished editing my DTM I deleted the surface views, and purged everything I could to cut down the size as much as possible.

Before you start screaming about a 1,000 + acre DTM's. keep in mind drainage basin studies can get rather large and one can not alter a creek or channel without sufficient analysis of the entire basin. Then the permitting process requires a drainage area map the shows all the basins, sub-basin areas, contour data, aerials, soils survey, drainage structures, Cn's, Tc's, and a nodal diagram that corresponds to your hydraulic model (this is so the reviewing agency can verify that the data is input correctly).

Like I said for the REAL HEAVY users I would recommend 4 Gigs.

And yes we have openings. Please check http://www.co.pinellas.fl.us/persnl/emp&test/Empopp.htm
for any position you are interested in.

dmarx
2006-04-28, 03:35 PM
That is what I recommend, I have 2 gigs of ram right now and on large projects I will run into memory problems. So we have decided to up the memory to 4 gigs.

When you have a 1,000 acre DTM + Are rials + parcel data+ soils information, + ...
I had a drawing with this scenario that was eating up 1.5 gig of ram when open, and left no room to function. During the DTM editing process I had to detach the Aerials and a lot of other information, and only reinserted them when needed. After I finished editing my DTM I deleted the surface views, and purged everything I could to cut down the size as much as possible.

Before you start screaming about a 1,000 + acre DTM's. keep in mind drainage basin studies can get rather large and one can not alter a creek or channel without sufficient analysis of the entire basin. Then the permitting process requires a drainage area map the shows all the basins, sub-basin areas, contour data, aerials, soils survey, drainage structures, Cn's, Tc's, and a nodal diagram that corresponds to your hydraulic model (this is so the reviewing agency can verify that the data is input correctly).

Like I said for the REAL HEAVY users I would recommend 4 Gigs.

And yes we have openings. Please check http://www.co.pinellas.fl.us/persnl/emp&test/Empopp.htm
for any position you are interested in.

I currently have 2 gigs and i know what you mean. I have run into issues with my computer before too. And i understand the need to do the whole basins.

Now if you said you had the 4 gig and the dual monitors and all that i may have to look at moving then. but really i was joking