PDA

View Full Version : API Access to V9 keynotes

GuyR
2006-04-27, 07:34 PM
Ok,

Every way I try and update keynote text in the project via the API fails. While the relevant parameters are accessible they don't update (despite returning a successfult update). Will see if there is another way but at the moment I don't think there is. Added to the API wishlist.

Anyone interested in a simple external keynote text file editor?

Guy

Steve_Stafford
2006-04-27, 07:51 PM
Seems to me that since the keynote text file data is "linked" to the materials and objects in the project that you'd have to change the value in the text file. I know that you can pick a new keynote value in the project but it is derived from the text file...true? So you'd need to use the API to change the text file then reload the text file?

GuyR
2006-04-27, 08:27 PM
Steve,

Seems to me that since the keynote text file data is "linked" to the materials and objects in the project that you'd have to change the value in the text file.

When I started looking at this I worked on the basis that each keynote was essentially a family type or symbol as the API calls them. But there is no 'symbol object ' of the keynote list(text file) that I can get at. So then I assumed the keynote entries in the tags are 'dumb'. ie just text you can replace. There was some logic to this in that the tag parameters supported reading/writing. When you update the parameter with some new text
it returns true. In other words the update was successful. However, it hasn't updated in the project. You could call this a bug but in fact I think this behaviour is intentional.

I know that you can pick a new keynote value in the project but it is derived from the text file...true? So you'd need to use the API to change the text file then reload the text file?

Yes internally there must be a list of keynote pairs (<number><text>) that the dropdown accesses when you select a new keynote. However this isn't exposed and there is no way (that I can think of)via the API to force a text file reload.

Personally I'd prefer API access than file writing. This would allow you to store notes in a database rather than a simple text file. Will experiment some more today...

Guy

GuyR
2006-04-28, 12:42 AM
Update:

I can change a tag number. If the number doesn't exist the text description is empty.

So what is possible is an editor that allows you to create a new keynote number and text. You can add this new keynote in the project via the API. However the text won't update until you reload the project. Would this be useful? Still playing.....

Guy

david.kingham
2006-04-28, 03:26 PM
That's a start! I would use it!!

Yman
2006-05-23, 05:50 AM
I would definately like this!! Go for it Guy!

Yman

bimologist
2006-06-05, 08:39 PM
Ok,

Every way I try and update keynote text in the project via the API fails. While the relevant parameters are accessible they don't update (despite returning a successfult update). Will see if there is another way but at the moment I don't think there is. Added to the API wishlist.

Anyone interested in a simple external keynote text file editor?

Guy
I am stuck with a similar delimma. well kind of. We are so used to seeing Keynotes sorted out by a heading and then the keynotes as well as Bidpack (phases) that Revit cannot replicate. It is a running list on the sheet. Since we are planning a hybrid project, we need both list to look the same.

First I was thinking of writing an external text editor. VB , been a while since I did that, so it will be a challenge for me. Now I see that even if I add a new note, the note does not show up unitl you reload project?

Second can I do this. on the sheet, read the Keynote per sheet, figure out what notes are active on that sheet. or I can create a STANDARD KEynte schedule., Insert it on the sheet, read the values , i.e. which keynotes are used. Then Generate a list which matches acad;s and then add it to the Sheet file as paragraphed TEXT. Is this do able? or atleast how can I accomplish this. I know it will not be live, but we are used ot updating the list anyways in CAD , so it will be no big deal.

I was severly disappointed by the keynoting , espicially no editing feature, no filter/sorting feature. no remembering of the list last used location, no stickiness of Free End vs stupid attached end . I can rant on and on.....