PDA

View Full Version : What the heck does "Stick View On Top" do?

erikbjur
2006-05-03, 09:53 PM
What the heck does "Stick View On Top" do? It seams that it doesn't do anything. Any of you know what it does?

Paul Andersen
2006-05-04, 01:32 AM
I believe the symbolic stick line in all of the framing families is defaulted to the center of the member when this parameter is off. Checking the Stick View On Top parameter simply moves this symbolic line to be at the top center of the framing member. It's similar to the analytical projection plane parameters only less options. I don't think this really does anything for you one way or the other in the plan views but works nicely for framing elevations set to coarse display.

We typically have our levels defined at TOS and when you first place a framing elevation you'll notice that in coarse view display all of your floor framing members are offset from the defined TOS level. Highlight the horizontal members -> right click properties and check this parameter on and the stick symbol will jump to the TOS level. I used to wonder why the parameter wasn't defaulted on for this very reason but soon realized that since the bracing uses these same families you're going to have to adjust this parameter for something in your elevations regardless unless you now show these in medium or fine detail.

erikbjur
2006-05-09, 12:55 AM
Thanks for the reply. That helped a lot. I was hoping that it was something else. I need the ability to show beams that hang of of other things, to show pulled away. This I know revit does well. However, I also need the ability to show when beams bear on a column (not hang off of it) to show the beam extended over the top of the column.

Steve Mintz
2006-05-09, 04:01 PM
Paul is correct. I learned about this a few days ago through Autodesk support.

"Stick view on top" is of immense help when yo have framing on a sloping floor. The drawings don't look quite right when the option is unchecked (the stick view is in the middle, some distance away from the deck), especially at the edge of deck, or where you have skewed beams.

But enable the option for "Stick view on top" and voila! Everything looks the way it should. I think I'm going to start using this option by default; I can't think of any reason I wouldn't want to.

As for braces, we only use course detail on plans. Elevations are always fine (or hopefully if I create them, medium)

However, I also need the ability to show when beams bear on a column (not hang off of it) to show the beam extended over the top of the column.

In that case, I would actually drag the end of the beam (the actual end point, not the shape handle) beyond the centerline of the column. After all, the beam will actually extend an inch or so beyond the column, and not end at the centerline.

You could modify the beam in elevation (fine or medium detail) or in plan (with fine or medium detail)

Tom Weir
2006-05-09, 07:27 PM
Steven,
<"Stick view on top" is of immense help when you have framing on a sloping floor.>

Thanks for that. I have had that problem on many occasions, and could not quite figure it out. That will make a difference on roof plans too.

Tom Weir
Los Angeles