PDA

View Full Version : UCS affects DWF file size

fred.enright
2006-05-04, 09:35 PM
Given: AutoCAD dwg with XREFs & background image attached.

Find: Why dwf made from a layout with a view created in a custom UCS is huge. Whereas, a dwf made from a layout in same proximity and dwg but with view made using World UCS is tiny?

Solution: ?

scott.sheppard
2006-05-08, 02:46 PM
I don't see the attachments. I am probably doing something wrong. I am no an AUGI forum expert.

Mike.Perry
2006-05-08, 08:19 PM
I don't see the attachments. I am probably doing something wrong. I am no an AUGI forum expert.Hi Scott

There is no attachment to that post.

When "fred.enright" wrote...

Given: AutoCAD dwg with XREFs & background image attached.I believe ( my understanding, so I could well be completely wrong here, happens all the time ) "fred.enright" meant, something like...

I have an AutoCAD drawing file with Xrefs and Images attached.

Not, I have attached an AutoCAD drawing file with Xrefs and Images.

If I have got the wrong end of the stick ( so to speak ), and there should be an attachment, then the following might be of some help...

What Are Attachments? (http://forums.augi.com/faq.php?faq=vb_read_and_post#faq_vb_attachment_explain)

:beer: Mike

Hammer.John.J
2006-05-09, 11:31 AM
i can't predict dwf but i can tell you for certain that plt files are wild cards and any little thing can botch the file size. random blocks rediculous stuff you can never find.

did you verify that your rotated ucs has no z elevation? and that you are viewing from same side, i.e. top or right or left, etc. ucs is really sensitive and if you snap to a z to get the origin it could reap havoc!

do you have contours or other LDT objects in the views?

fred.enright
2006-05-09, 05:04 PM
scott.s, I did not attach a file. I meant, as Mike.P discerned, that my file had dwgs and a background image attached to it. I work in road design and we utilize a topog.dwg (dwg with bldgs, trees, existing edge of road, utilities, etc) as our base (plotting) dwg. To this dwg we xref design alignment, right-of-way and profile dwgs. Model space views are made along the alignment, which necessitates creating custom UCSs to facilitate those views. In layouts, we make viewports for each model space view. We then activating model space from the layout viewport and we restore the model space view.

It seems that when the layout view utilizes a model space view is World, the file size is small. Otherwise, huge.

I've been able to duplicate this, but perhaps not enough that there isn't something that can be done to overcome this. Hopefully dwfs are not wild cards like plts, as johnh.1 suggests. And, custom UCSs are created along the alignment by picking a 2d line drawn in the desired direction. No objects, just huge image file.

Thanks for replies and
sorry for confusing post.