PDA

View Full Version : Curved Beams, in place families

swatts
2006-05-08, 05:38 PM
I'm very new at this and I'm getting bogged down with curved beams.

I have gone through the information about creating a curved beam/in-place family and I've created one curved beam. Is it true that the "in-place-family" is one beam and only that one? Must I create a new family every time I want to draw another curved beam. This doesn't seem right. What am I missing? My family shows up in the family list, but how do I use it again to draw another beam?

Also, when I have done it right will I be able to change the profile/beam size without deleting and re-drawing the curved beam? Can I have a curved beam family that allows me to change radius, length, and profile as I place and edit the beams?

Many questions...

rmcelvain.103137
2006-05-08, 11:45 PM
I'm very new at this and I'm getting bogged down with curved beams.

I have gone through the information about creating a curved beam/in-place family and I've created one curved beam.

Is it true that the "in-place-family" is one beam and only that one?
Must I create a new family every time I want to draw another curved beam. This doesn't seem right.
What am I missing?
My family shows up in the family list, but how do I use it again to draw another beam?
Also,when I have done it right will I be able to change the profile/beam size without deleting and re-drawing the curved beam?
Can I have a curved beam family that allows me to change radius, length, and profile as I place and edit the beams?
Many questions...
Swatts,

1. One Beam - One Family, that is correct (the developers know this is a concern).

2. You do no necessarily have to "create" a new family in the sense that you can use the copy command. This will create a new family for you; you'll want to modify the name of it so you can recognize it.

3. You're not missing anything except a curved beam function :(

4. See 2.

5. It's easy to apply a different profile to an existing In-Place Family.

Edit the Family
Select the Sweep
Go into Sweep Properties or use the drop down list in the Options Bar to change the profile and the "Y" value. For the "Y" value you will have to adjust for the depth of the profile since the In-Place Family assumes the center of the profile. If you wanted to you could most likely create a new profile family where the Top/Center of the Members are in the appropriate location; I have experimented with this and had some good results but I have not done enough to know the drawbacks.
Finish the Sweep
Finish the Family
6. No, you will need to edit the family in order to change the sweep path.

When you are doing all of these families do not forget to add the analytical line; depending on what analysis software you are using you will have different representations of this part.

Post back with any further questions or if I have been unclear in any parts....

swatts
2006-05-09, 02:27 PM
Rick,

Thank you for your great answers - very helpful. I'm forging on and will undoubtedly be back with more questions

ck.107547
2006-05-09, 10:26 PM
Check out this thread:
http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=24934

I made a family that can be drawn like a normal beam. It has some small problems, but it works.