PDA

View Full Version : Add a Password to a Dynamic Block

Rico
2006-05-08, 07:06 PM
If I add a password to DBs ....

1. Does it allow users to still access the block in DesignCentre? (i.e.: bring it into their own drawings)

2. Does it allow users to edit the drawing?

3. Is this even possible?

Specifically, what I am looking for is some way to protect the drawings now that they are going onto our server. I am specifically worried about a co-worker stealing the idea and claiming credit where there obviously is none.

What I wanna do is put a password on the drawing so that no one can edit it but me, but I want for the contents (i.e.: the dynamic blocks) to be accessible to the other trustworthy co-workers.

Any suggestions?

Opie
2006-05-08, 07:20 PM

1. Does it allow users to still access the block in DesignCentre? (i.e.: bring it into their own drawings)

Specifically, what I am looking for is some way to protect the drawings now that they are going onto our server. I am specifically worried about a co-worker stealing the idea and claiming credit where there obviously is none.

What I wanna do is put a password on the drawing so that no one can edit it but me, but I want for the contents (i.e.: the dynamic blocks) to be accessible to the other trustworthy co-workers.

Any suggestions?
I'm not sure. Have you tried it with a more trustworthy co-worker?

Can you place it on a secure part of the server that the shifty co-worker does not have write capabilities?

Can you attach some xdata to an entity or group of entities in the DB?

BrenBren
2006-05-08, 07:59 PM

Any suggestions?

uhm... :)

I would have to agree with Opie; can you find a trusted co-worker to test this with? I've not protected any of my DB's yet, as they are simply our assembly details that are quite simple, and, in fact, not even released yet. I can see where you are coming from, I would be less worried about someone stealing the idea (I forward all of my new programs/ideas/etc to my boss before I share them with the group, so he knows where they come from); but more worried about somebody mucking the whole thing up.

You're best bet might be to get a private area set up on your network drive that only you have write permission to, but the others have permission to read what is in there. That would be my first avenue to explore. And, then just try it with a coworker and see what happens.

~shrug~ sorry I can't be of more assistance...

Rico
2006-05-08, 08:11 PM
yeah ....

the co-worker stealing the idea is one among a laundry list of things i wanna protect against. I'm worried about co-workers going in and mucking it up as well.

We have a few people who would be lucky to figure out how to work a banana let alone a DB. These same people THINK they are CAD gurus. I'm not a CAD guru, but I definitely know more than they do when it comes to DBs, so the idae of them going in there and changing even 1 parameter or action would represent, potentially, hours of irritating troubleshooting work.

Creating DBs is infinitely more fun than figuring out what is wrong with them.

Plus the intellectual property is important as well. Even though my blocks would become company property, so to speak, I'd rather it be acknowledged that it was I who created them as opposed to someone else.

And let's not even talk about the ones from Chris and the rest Sharing thread ....

I didn't create a bunch of the ones I am going to use. So I intend to give credit where credit is due (thinking maybe in the Summary tab under Drawing Properties), but more importantly, I wanna protect those ones from being mucked up, too. Messing around with those ones is fatal because it would mean I can't troubleshoot them and have to re-download them ..... (as I said, creating = fun. roubleshooting = tedious)
I just don't want someone to take the hard work that has been put in by others and use it for their own personal gain under false pretense. This is where moral obligation and duty sucks.

Mike.Perry
2006-05-08, 10:59 PM
Hi Rico

Please note I have *moved* this thread from the AutoCAD General (http://forums.augi.com/forumdisplay.php?f=120) forum to this one, as I feel this particular forum is a more appropriate place for such a topic.

Thanks, Mike

Forum Manager

Rico
2006-05-09, 01:03 PM
Thanks Mike.

gangulaanwesh693849
2015-03-23, 06:10 PM
Exactly the thing I was looking for, thanks Rico, for raising the question. I wouldn't have been able to explain it properly. And is there any solution to this problem yet in the newer versions? please le me know if there is any. I would love to know. Thank you

cadtag
2015-03-23, 11:00 PM
If you want to protect your original DBs from someone mucking about with them in your shop, then store them on a server folder with limited write access.

Once in the drawing, it's out of your control.

gangulaanwesh693849
2015-03-24, 05:44 AM
but at some point we'll have to share the drawings with other co-workers for modification which is assigned to be done by them

rkmcswain
2015-03-24, 12:46 PM
but at some point we'll have to share the drawings with other co-workers for modification which is assigned to be done by them

Okay...? So what is the question?

gangulaanwesh693849
2015-03-25, 04:30 AM
Is there any way to bookmark or save a block that I created from editing. I mean I'm fine with other people using it & editing it.But a bookmark which cannot be deleted or edited by those others without a password or without my approval