PDA

View Full Version : Studwork wall styles

warnoe uk
2006-05-11, 03:15 PM
I've currently got a wall style made that is 70mm wide studwork to represent metal wall stud that we plaster board too.

how do add the metal "C" section stud shape into my 3d wall style?.

The reason is that i would like these to be seen on a 2d view - see attachment.

Also is there a way to show timber studs within our walls styles i.e at every 450mm centres?

PLMK

H-Angus
2006-05-11, 03:31 PM
I've currently got a wall style made that is 70mm wide studwork to represent metal wall stud that we plaster board too.

how do add the metal "C" section stud shape into my 3d wall style?.

The reason is that i would like these to be seen on a 2d view - see attachment.

Also is there a way to show timber studs within our walls styles i.e at every 450mm centres?

PLMK

To my knowledge I don't think you can do this as part of the wall style. If you could I suppose you would not only need control over the spacing be it 450 or 600 centres for example, but also the origin of the studs where junctions with other walls occur etc.

Therefore I believe you're left with two options. Either add them manually in Acad lines (or blocks) which as you can imagine would be a bit boring, or choose a hatch pattern which will look nothing like it should do constructionally but together with a key would be easily indentifiable to the person reading the drawing.

Steve_Bennett
2006-05-11, 03:39 PM
Think "Structural Members". Make a shape like you want to see your stud and insert it as a column.

warnoe uk
2006-05-11, 04:04 PM
i was thinking of doing this using a railing style would this work?

Steve_Bennett
2006-05-11, 04:17 PM
i was thinking of doing this using a railing style would this work?hmmm...

I suppose that might work. Are you trying to get any other functionality out of the object other than graphics? The reason I was saying Structural Members is that you can schedule those more easily.

If you do use a railing object, try placing it without anchoring it to any objects first, then once it's placed, select the railing, right click and choose Anchor -> Attach to objects, and select all the walls it should be attached to. It should anchor itself to them, I'm just not sure where as I've never tried it.

It would be AWESOME if you could post an example of what you did using a railing style.

warnoe uk
2006-05-12, 07:35 AM
cracked it :)

attached is a railing in the style of the C metal stud we use for our internal partitions

I did this style by editing the railings profile and overlaying the 2d C section and adding vertexs to the profile and moving the added vertexs to the 2d C section outline.

Look at the attachment, going to try to add this to our 70mm stud wall

Steve_Bennett
2006-05-12, 07:45 AM
cracked it :)

attached is a railing in the style of the C metal stud we use for our internal partitions

I did this style by editing the railings profile and overlaying the 2d C section and adding vertexs to the profile and moving the added vertexs to the 2d C section outline.

Look at the attachment, going to try to add this to our 70mm stud wallThat is great to see you worked it out! Thanks for posting the example. Now all can benefit from your genius...

:beer:

Chuckyd67
2006-05-12, 11:56 AM
There is a third party add-on that places, not only studs in a wall, but also doubles studs at framed openings and it places headers, sole plates, and top plates, as well. I think the name of it might be Coade, but I am not sure. They usually have a booth at Autodesk University.

warnoe uk
2006-05-12, 12:06 PM
thrird party add on?

do you mean something like a lisp routine that you have to load up with ADT??

david_peterson
2006-05-12, 02:07 PM
It's a 3rd party package say like Ram Cad Studio. It runs along with/over the top of ADT.

On your stud wall style thught, another option I've seen done is to create the stud as a profile, and use a curtain wall to create the grids of studs with.

Enjoy

MHarkins
2006-07-10, 02:07 PM
There are a few different 3rd party add-ons that do wall framing - some doo floor and roof framing as well.

Try COINS Framer - out of Texas and Wood Engine out of Europe. They both have their advantages and allow multiple "rules based" "T" and "L" corner sections etc.

I believe that Wood Engine uses "structural" shapes in their program.

Good luck!

Mike