PDA

View Full Version : Close, relinquish, no save to central

ron.sanpedro
2006-06-05, 05:03 PM
I am sure I am just brain farting here, but for the life of me I can't figure this out.
I have a work setted model, with local copies for the two team members, plus the conference room. During a meeting in the conference room, we open the local, fly around, grab stuff to talk about it, etc. When done with the meeting, we want to close the local copy, relinquish everything, and NOT save to Central. As I read the options, you just can't.
Am I nuts? Am I (hopefully) missing something obvious? Do you detach from Central in this case? And what if you forget. Is there anyway to get the stuff that the conference room machine "owns" back to available?

Thanks,
Gordon

sbrown
2006-06-05, 08:01 PM
You should detach from central in this case. What you can do now, is just close your file and don't save, then you will need to make a new local with the same user who now owns the stuff, and then have that new file stc to give back the worksets without the changes.

ron.sanpedro
2006-06-05, 08:12 PM
You should detach from central in this case. What you can do now, is just close your file and don't save, then you will need to make a new local with the same user who now owns the stuff, and then have that new file stc to give back the worksets without the changes.

What I don't understand is the need for Save to Central. I want to close, not save, and generally act like I never opened anything. Is there simply no "Close without saving"? In any case, I will forward your suggestion on to the team.

Thanks,
Gordon

Wes Macaulay
2006-06-05, 08:42 PM
You can choose to Not Relinquish and then choose to not save your local file...

ron.sanpedro
2006-06-05, 08:53 PM
You can choose to Not Relinquish and then choose to not save your local file...

But I want TO Relinquish and NOT save. If I don't relinquish then certain items are still checked out to me, even though I didn't save. Seems like perhaps a wishlist item, to eliminate the need to detach from central. We seem to run into the need for a Relinquish, close and don't save quite often.

Best,
Gordon

Wes Macaulay
2006-06-05, 09:22 PM
If you made a change -- changed a view from hidden line to shading, etc. -- you have borrowed something, and that borrowing process can't be undone, so you really do have to save to central. That's why detach from central is probably your best bet, unless there's the possibility that you may want to preserve your actions during the session.

ron.sanpedro
2006-06-05, 09:50 PM
If you made a change -- changed a view from hidden line to shading, etc. -- you have borrowed something, and that borrowing process can't be undone, so you really do have to save to central. That's why detach from central is probably your best bet, unless there's the possibility that you may want to preserve your actions during the session.
Yes, seems to be the case here. Am I nuts in thinking it would be nice to be able to open the model, shade a view on a random day, show it to the client, then close with no changes and relinquish? Such a basic thing that seems to be such a pain to do. Wishlist item in my book.

Best,
Gordon

Steve_Stafford
2006-06-05, 11:11 PM
...Am I nuts in thinking it would be nice to be able to open the model, shade a view on a random day, show it to the client, then close with no changes and relinquish? ...Sorry...being redundant...but that is WHY they made Detach From Central (among other reasons) If you really want to mess around in the project without the prospect of really saving or changing anything then use Detach From Central.

ron.sanpedro
2006-06-05, 11:54 PM
Sorry...being redundant...but that is WHY they made Detach From Central (among other reasons) If you really want to mess around in the project without the prospect of really saving or changing anything then use Detach From Central.

By why not just have a Relinquish and don't save? Detach from central requires that you know ahead of time that this is what you are doing. Relinquish and don't save allows you to decide once you have the file open.
Example. My co-worker comes over and comments on the shadows in elevation. So I demo for him a couple of features, using the real project I am working on because an in context demo is always better. Now I have "changed" the model, and I didn't think I would when I opened. So I have to not relinquish and not save. Detach from central and delete local. Recreate local then relinquish and STC. All to do what the standard Windows Close without Save could do. But now it's Close, Relinquish and don't Save (local or Central). Basically I am looking for "act like this session never happened." ;)

All wishlist, and now that I understand that you simply cannot relinquish without saving, I think we will mutter and muddle on, and not have too many problems. Just wishing for a more graceful and flexible solution.

Best,
Gordon

rgesner
2006-06-06, 04:57 AM
I think the problem with relinquishing without saving is that it's a database and as soon as you change anything, Central knows it.

I thought you could just Undo all the way back and then close without saving, but that still makes you save local, however it does avoid the STC.

LMSmith
2006-06-06, 01:22 PM
Try Relinquish All Mine. Steve's right that Detach from Central is a really good way to access the model if you just want to do something that you know you don't want to save. If you forget to Detach, you can quit without saving, open again, and Relinquish All Mine (File menu)

jeddafish
2006-06-06, 04:57 PM
A similar program is Microsoft Access. We have our Con Ad logs set up in access. Multiple people can read and write the file just like revit. Access has even done away with the save command. As soon as you are in the file, it writes to the home copy.

Back to Revit, I have had success with the continual undo command. Then save and relinquish, nothing really changes in the central file.

--jeff

Scott Hopkins
2006-06-07, 05:03 AM
I had a similar problem today. I wanted to close a local file without saving to central. I ended up doing a ctrl + alt + delete and then closing Revit with the Task Manager.

Hmmm.... Now that I think about it, I'm not sure if doing that was a good thing or a bad thing. I guess I'll find out tomorrow when I try to open up my local file. :rolleyes:

dpollard909366
2006-06-07, 11:50 AM
I agree with you Gordon... seems pretty silly that you can't just simply close and "don't save changes" like every other windows program ever made. to the wishlist!

irwin
2006-06-07, 10:01 PM
No need to make a new local copy and save to central. Instead, after closing the file without saving, open the central file and relinquish everything there.

Brockway
2007-07-25, 03:26 PM
Has there been any new developments on this front in the last year? I have a bunch of new Revit users and they are continually coming up to me and asking how to close without saving after they have begun playing with a current file (without the detach from central, of course).
I end up making a duplicate central file for them and repathing their local to it to play with after the fact but every other drafting program in the world can accommodate a close without saving.

t1.shep
2007-09-05, 04:51 PM
Not sure if this helps, and I'm not sure if I understand it myself, but from an authorized Autodesk training manual...
"Updating the Changes:
...If you want to undo the changes that you have saved to the Central Location file, you change the editable state of your workset to No. Then, you select the Lose Changes option.
[Once you select Lose Changes, you cannot undo this option.]"

That's all it says, I haven't tried it yet.

Dimitri Harvalias
2007-09-05, 06:03 PM
I agree that there needs to be a way to do this but the way worksharing and element borrowing is set up this is the way it is.
That said, the simplest solution is to insist that everyone who wants to 'play' with a workset project needs to be sure to open it with 'detach from central' checked in the file open dialogue.
This is the only way to eliminate the possibility of some elements ending up 'in the wrong hands' ;)

twiceroadsfool
2007-09-06, 10:50 PM
There is a way to do this, it just requires one more step.

You open it in the conference room, and spin the model around. For whatever reason, it checked something out.

You go File: Close. You get the options, and say DONT relinquish, then select DONT save.

Then, since you didnt save, you reopen that local file, and its just as it was when you first got it. Then you STC or relinquish all mine. It doesnt matter which, because the file is identical to the way it was when you got it.

Dimitri Harvalias
2007-09-07, 03:41 AM
The problem is that when you take control of certain elements Revit won't relinquish, even if you say don't save. Generally it's not an issue if it's you opening the file again, it's when someone else opens their local and you (a diferent user) still have elements chcked out.

twiceroadsfool
2007-09-07, 04:04 PM
Thats why after the "dont save" you need to open it again, and relinquish.

File > Close
Dont Relinquish
Dont save
Open local file AGAIN
STC / relinquish

I do it here all the time, without incident...

Tyveka
2007-09-12, 04:43 PM
I am with Gordon. We need an option for Relinquish All and Don't Save. Or better yet, just a "Quit option."

It is really stupid to have to go through all those steps just to look at a model. Even detaching from Central is one too many steps, especially since most of our non-power users just double-click on the file to open it up and look...

We have all the other options, why not add that last option in there?

Steve_Stafford
2007-09-12, 08:43 PM
I don't think that anyone is suggesting that the current process is fine or great. Obviously a simpler more obvious way to do things is best. I believe that the original question was how asking how to accomplish this and the answers define how...according to the current rules.