PDA

View Full Version : Selective Open - Performance

sbrown
2004-06-02, 05:19 PM
I just recently started taking advantage of this feature and am reaping huge rewards, my file was starting to crawl, with selectively opening just the workset I'm working on it really boosts performance.

My question is do you get the same performance benefit from closing worksets after they have been opened or do you have to use selective open when you open the file to really benefit?

irwin
2004-06-03, 12:37 AM
My question is do you get the same performance benefit from closing worksets after they have been opened or do you have to use selective open when you open the file to really benefit?
There are three ways that selective open can improve performance:
1. It can make it faster to open the file because many elements won't get parsed.
2. It can use less memory because many elements won't get parsed.
3. It can improve performance of display and selection because many elements won't get displayed.

The improved performance of display and selection, #3, will occur even if you close the worksets after they were previously open.

In the current implementation, once an element is parsed it stays parsed until you close the file, so benefits #1 and #2 only occur if you use selective open when you are opening the file. Since #1 only affects performance of open, and since #2 isn't necessary if you have enough memory in the machine, I suspect that improvements in interactive performance that you are seeing are because of #3. These benefits will occur just as well if you close worksets after they have already been opened.