PDA

View Full Version : Playing W/ Systems for the First time.

archjake
2006-06-07, 04:28 PM
I've been using Revit (Building) for over 3 1/2" year now, and have always had my hand in the design portion of MEP. So, when I heard about systems I got quite excited. Now that we have the download I decided to take a look.

First off it is very exciting to open systems up and see all the new buttons for MEP design. I took a look at the tutorials and they are fairly brief, but I bet this has to do with the fact that this is its first Release. Hopefully I'll run through the tutorials in the next couple of weeks and see if we can't implement this in the office for the projects that we design in house.

Wanderer
2006-06-08, 05:16 PM
what did you use for MEP design before?

(thanks for the real world report, look forward to hearing more)

I've been using Revit (Building) for over 3 1/2" year now, and have always had my hand in the design portion of MEP. So, when I heard about systems I got quite excited. Now that we have the download I decided to take a look.

First off it is very exciting to open systems up and see all the new buttons for MEP design. I took a look at the tutorials and they are fairly brief, but I bet this has to do with the fact that this is its first Release. Hopefully I'll run through the tutorials in the next couple of weeks and see if we can't implement this in the office for the projects that we design in house.

archjake
2006-06-08, 08:59 PM
We used Revit Building w/ a few Excel spreadsheets for sizing Mech equipment, etc.

It seems that Systems is very weak in its documentation on how to use this animal. I've just begun to look under the hood, but it is confusing - Even though I've pretty much mastered Revit inside and out.

For example. There is no documentation on making families in Systems. But.. I did look at starting an air handler from scratch. It was very easy to set up the supply air and return air connections that the family uses to connect to the ducts.

I'll keep playing. I'd love to hear others experiences as well.

rafterman
2006-06-09, 02:00 PM
We just used revit systems on two small jobs. We didn't get to use it to it's fullest potential on these jobs because they were very fast tracked and the learning curve was pretty big. We have a week long training class next week. I will keep people posted on our progress.