PDA

View Full Version : Dynamic Block loses parts when exploded

pbrumberg
2006-06-19, 08:46 PM
I have a dynamic block that I use to draw a CMU wall and have the joint reinforcing array at 16" (while the actual CMUnits array at 8"). There are appropriate times to explode this block to get back to the individual blocks within the dynamic block (need to remove one to replace with a different type of unit for example). However - when I explode the dynamic block, my joint reinforcing (a line with a circle on each end) is disappearing. I've thawed and turned on all layers and still it does not show up.

Chris.N
2006-06-19, 08:54 PM
could you please post an example of your block in ver2006? i've not run across this issue myself, but would gladly check your block out.

pbrumberg
2006-06-19, 10:13 PM
Let me know what you think. By my luck it will work just fine for you. I have several blocks like this of different sizes and don't seem to have this problem with any others (right now anyway).

Chris.N
2006-06-19, 10:27 PM
Let me know what you think. By my luck it will work just fine for you. I have several blocks like this of different sizes and don't seem to have this problem with any others (right now anyway).pb, can you also post one of your blocks to don't have this problem? i can't figure it out at the moment either, but think that having a trouble-free comparison would be helpfull. E-ya tomorrow.

pbrumberg
2006-06-26, 05:06 PM
Both of these work without error.

Chris.N
2006-06-26, 06:08 PM
Both of these work without error.good news and bad news.... good news is that it's an easy fix, just explode your horiz. reinf. and re-associate the geometry with the array action (it's how you have it in the 8" block). Bad news is it makes no sense why the blocked reinf. version would dissapear.... :banghead:

Chris.N
2006-06-26, 06:13 PM
i also wanted to ask why you have the cmu's blocked within the DB. if you were to not need them blocked, you can have one DB for all your different CMU thicknesses... even the one with brick. you'd either have an incremental width parameter to drag, or select from a lookup table.

pbrumberg
2006-06-26, 06:51 PM
As far as not using blocks within the DBlock... that's always an option - but more often than not we need to explode the dynamic block to delete one of the middle blocks of CMU and replace with a U-Block or to make room for a joist seat, etc. It's just easier and cleaner when everything else remains a block. We use a pallette with the different sizes set up on it so they're easy to get to anyway. It's not very often that we'd change from 8" to 12" in the middle of detailing so it's not really that big a deal to have two different blocks.

As far as exploding the reinforcing - I originally had it that way. I only made it a block to see if it would stop disappearing when I explode the dblock (at which time I had to reassociate the reinforcing block with the array). Obviously that did not work. Kind of suprises me that exploding it now and reassociating it will fix the problem.

I'll give it a shot though - hopefully all will go well.

Actually - I just tried it. I exploded the reinforcing block to individual circle and line elements and reassociated the array. I still get the same problems. I even tried making the joint reinforcing back into a block - same disappearing act.

Chris.N
2006-06-26, 07:10 PM
As far as not using blocks within the DBlock... that's always an option - but more often than not we need to explode the dynamic block to delete one of the middle blocks of CMU and replace with a U-Block or to make room for a joist seat, etc. It's just easier and cleaner when everything else remains a block. We use a pallette with the different sizes set up on it so they're easy to get to anyway. It's not very often that we'd change from 8" to 12" in the middle of detailing so it's not really that big a deal to have two different blocks.

As far as exploding the reinforcing - I originally had it that way. I only made it a block to see if it would stop disappearing when I explode the dblock (at which time I had to reassociate the reinforcing block with the array). Obviously that did not work. Kind of suprises me that exploding it now and reassociating it will fix the problem.

I'll give it a shot though - hopefully all will go well.

Actually - I just tried it. I exploded the reinforcing block to individual circle and line elements and reassociated the array. I still get the same problems. I even tried making the joint reinforcing back into a block - same disappearing act.ok, only thing left to do that I think would work is to copy-clip your 12" cmu (block from withing DB), open up the working 8" DB, resave to the 12" DB, replace cmu block, reasociate actions, and stretch vis states to match... (i've had to do this before to replace 'infected' block files that are un-figurable)