PDA

View Full Version : Slowness

mnisbett
2006-06-20, 01:48 PM
I've been trying the tutorials and it seemed ok with duct work, But it really slowed down with piping. I have an existing 4 story dorm project I wanted to try out systems on BUT!. I added some pipe and 6 fan coil units and my system went into a crawl.... I am running 1 Gig of RAM and Pentium 4 HT at 3.6 Ghz. The building was starting to slow down a bit but it was bearable, with piping added we are crawling. My question: is this the nature of the beast? Do we have to Link the model like an XREF? (Defeats the purpose of BIM). Or do we just need a whole bunch of RAM? Has anyone had slowdown problems with systems. Oh, did I forget to mention I really do like the product and I understand this is REL. 1 so there will be bugs, Is this one?

david.kingham
2006-06-20, 03:19 PM
What build are you using? The original off the cd had some major speed issues, the newest web build is supposed to fix alot of these problems.

rafterman
2006-06-20, 03:48 PM
We have experienced the same slowness here. I emailed one of our project to support, and they are supposedly working on the issue. One of the reasons I heard for this is all the calculations the program does in the background to figure out the hidden lines. Try working in wireframe to see if your speed improves.

mnisbett
2006-06-21, 12:29 AM
I just checked my build and I have the latest. I have also tried wireframe but it was not much different.
This afternoon I stripped out the piping from my main model and then linked the main model to the new piping model. This helped some but it still is acting slow.
From reading some other threads it seems that linking is frowned upon.

david.metcalf
2006-06-28, 05:55 PM
Linking is frowned on? That can't be good, how will architects share the building model with electcrial and mechnical engineers? Linking allows the model to be updated frequently during the project.

I highly recommend you bump up memory to 2 GB as a start.

Wes Macaulay
2006-07-05, 08:05 PM
Make sure you've got a video card that's compatible with Revit. Check out Settings > Options > Graphics. Can you check OpenGL? If it's grayed out your card (or driver) isn't compatible with Revit.

OpenGL checked and Overlay Planes unchecked usually gives the best video performance with Revit.

todd.69291
2006-08-15, 08:51 PM
The Mechanical Engineer we are working with was having the same problem with the slow linked Architectural model. When he switched to "shaded w/ edges" it fixed the problem. Now it is working as fast as expected.