PDA

View Full Version : Network vs Single Seats

fred.enright
2006-06-20, 05:41 PM
We have 10 seats with Individual AutoCAD installations as well as numerous Eagle Point modules. We're considering a network installation of Eagle Point to minimize the number of modules purchased. I assume LDT, Civil 3D would be similar.
Questions:
1. Is there any performance degradation?
2. Are there any configuration concerns?
3. Should AutoCAD be a network install as well?

Any responses, suggestions would be most appreciated!

Thanks, Fred

Jeepin
2006-06-20, 06:54 PM
We have 10 seats with Individual AutoCAD installations as well as numerous Eagle Point modules. We're considering a network installation of Eagle Point to minimize the number of modules purchased. I assume LDT, Civil 3D would be similar.
Questions:

Thanks, FredWow I could right 2 pages on this, I'll try to keep it short.
First does your office work off the servers or do they work on their work stations then save to a server?
If its the first then you shouldnt see any network slow down. If its the second then you may see some, but it really depends on what speed your network is set up for. I use 1gig on everything and don't have any problems.

Configuration and cad standards are easier to control if using network everything. thats my opinion.

I believe an office w/ more then 5 seats should be networked.

Hope I gave some insight.

fred.enright
2006-06-21, 10:25 PM
IT says workstations connected @ 100Mbit, full duplex, servers are connected via Gigabit into sophisticated ethernet switch with 2Gigabit over DWDM fiber connection. So, is the choice to run one design software and AutoCAD off the server OR to run a license manager(s) on the server with software installed on multiple PC's? Drawings and project data files on server.

Thanks Jeepin. Really appreciate reply.

Jeepin
2006-06-21, 10:33 PM
IT says workstations connected @ 100Mbit, full duplex, servers are connected via Gigabit into sophisticated ethernet switch with 2Gigabit over DWDM fiber connection. So, is the choice to run one design software and AutoCAD off the server OR to run a license manager(s) on the server with software installed on multiple PC's? Drawings and project data files on server.

Thanks Jeepin. Really appreciate reply.Run a license manager on the server, if you have never done this its rather cool. You can create a network image on your server that points to your directory files. After you do that, you mearly go too each work station and click the network install image and leave, its awesome. You only have to set it up once and thats it.
So yes, I would install the software on the work stations and have all project data on the server.
the only slow down you will see is if you are upgrading from 2004 to either 06 or 07, for some reason the intitial software boot takes longer, That may be on my end however.

I would run software off a server only under extreme circumstances only. I can't even think of a circumstance where I would resort to doing that.

fred.enright
2006-06-21, 10:51 PM
Thanks again, Rich! I think we're off and runnin'.

Fred

rkmcswain
2006-06-22, 12:39 AM
Questions:

Thanks, Fred

I'm assuming that you have less than 10 users at any given time?

We run a mix of standalone and network licenses seats. There is absolutely no difference in the installation, configuration, or usability - other than a minor tweak to set a Windows Environment variable (so the NL version will know where to look for a license).

RobertAitken
2006-06-22, 01:00 PM
Fred,

I agree with what's been said so far. One additional point would be to do a local install and have the support, plot styles, plotters etc etc folder on the network. Makes management a lot easier. Single point for common files, if you need to update any of them you update it in one place.

This will also give to the best performance from AutoCAD as it will only pull certain files from the network but the main startup files will start form the local hard disk.

You can create profiles that contain all the path information and create a shortcut that contains the profile path. That can also help when the profile get screwed. Delete the existing profile and dbl click the icon to import the new profile.

Network is the way to go. You don't need to run around all those machines.

HTH and any question ask away.

Robert

abdulhuck
2006-06-28, 05:18 AM
Hello gents,

I guess I reached on the right place. We are having 21 individual licenses of AutoCAD 2005. It may grow to around 30 in a month or so. We are going to implement the network license server and deployment. My questions are,

1. When we go for network license, does Autodesk simply convert the existing
21 individual licenses to a network license or any additional cost is involved?

2. How easy is to add additional licenses?

3. Do we have to create the network deployment image or does Autodesk do it for us?

4. What will be an ideal network license server configuration? We prefer to use a system only for the license and license software.

I am new to the licensing stuff. Kindly give some idea.

Thanks,
Abdul Huck

rkmcswain
2006-06-28, 12:01 PM
Hello gents,

I guess I reached on the right place. We are having 21 individual licenses of AutoCAD 2005. It may grow to around 30 in a month or so. We are going to implement the network license server and deployment. My questions are,

Network licenses cost more than standalone, so yes there will be some cost involved. As far as the "conversion", are you running a multi-seat standalone configuration now, or 21 different serial numbers?

Easy. You call your reseller who will send you a new license file, which you use to replace the old license file on the license manager (LM)

3. Do we have to create the network deployment image or does Autodesk do it for us?

You. You may ask and receive some assistance from your reseller.

4. What will be an ideal network license server configuration? We prefer to use a system only for the license and license software.

Are all 30 licenses going to be used in a single location?
You could go with a standalone LM, but a "distributed" LM scheme may be better, see http://autodesk.blogs.com/between_the_lines/2005/11/autocad_network.html for more details.

Are you a subscription member, or did you attend AU last year? If so, track down the handouts from the two classes titled "Networking AutoCAD from A to Z" and "Networking AutoCAD beyond Z"

Jeepin
2006-06-28, 12:03 PM
Hello gents,

I am new to the licensing stuff. Kindly give some idea.

Thanks,
Abdul Huck
1. Be very careful in the conversion. Some people can have a hard time working w/ this between the re-seller and Autodesk. Mine was a night mare, but that was because I was merging two companies together when I did it. You will have to get w/ your local reseller for the additional cost, its a little bit more, but in my eyes well worth it in the long run.

2. Its as easy as paying for it. After you have your network license set up and you need to add, simply contact your reseller and they will help you, Auto desk will simply email you a new license. When you get this, you simply stop the license and replace the file and restart it. You can even do this while employees are using AutoCAD.

3. You would create the network image, unless you pay your reseller to implement your installation. Its quite simple, however I do recommend you print out the network deployment guide and read it first. Depending on how much customization you want to do during your deployment, it can take awhile to make your image. For your first time I would recommend you have a silent half of day, in other words no interruptions.

4. I'm not really sure what you are asking here. I use 3 servers, one server I have Microsoft exchange on and that is its only responsibility. Its just a Small server, basically a work station on steroids. The second one is my license and data server. I keep all of my network licenses on here (I have all of my software on network license and subscription) along with all of our project data. The third is the domain controller and I also let marketing and finance use this server as there are only two people in that department so I know they wont mess anything up. Hope some of this helped, go to a network license, You wont be sorry! The first time you have to install a service pack you will be saying "why didn't I do this before!"

abdulhuck
2006-06-28, 12:24 PM
Thanks a lot McSwain & Rich,
I got the right answers.

As McSwain asked, I am having 21 stand-alone licenses, because as the users continued to grow, the company used to purchase one by one, and I am only one and a half month here. It may not be a single serial number. I am not sure that whether these workstations are installed from a single CD with the same serial number and I don't know whether it is possible. I have to check that one.

We plan to use one server for all the 30 licenses. It will be dedicated only for AutoCAD license and the license management software. Our IT guy recommends a good configuration CAD workstation, instead of a Server. What do you say?

Thanks once again for your response,

Regards,
Abdul Huck

Jeepin
2006-06-28, 12:31 PM
Thanks a lot McSwain & Rich,
I got the right answers.

As McSwain asked, I am having 21 stand-alone licenses, because as the users continued to grow, the company used to purchase one by one, and I am only one and a half month here. It may not be a single serial number. I am not sure that whether these workstations are installed from a single CD with the same serial number and I don't know whether it is possible. I have to check that one.

We plan to use one server for all the 30 licenses. It will be dedicated only for AutoCAD license and the license management software. Our IT guy recommends a good configuration CAD workstation, instead of a Server. What do you say?

Thanks once again for your response,

Regards,
Abdul Huck

Your IT guy is probably saying that because its a waste of money to have "just" a license server on a a server IMHO. I see know reason why the license manager can not go onto an existing server unless its just swamped with so many other duties, and if thats the case sounds like he may want to purchase another server to releave this one. LM server is not enough to crash a server if you ask me. Its just a simple license manager. Now if its due to the placement of all the deployment files that is another thing. He may be thinking that the best way is to have a dedicated server where all the blocks and plotters and support directories will go. Ask him, I'm sure he doesnt bite.

I wish I could answer the question about LM server working on a work station. I would say no, but I have no justification for that answer. Hopefully someone else will pick this up and I can learn something also.

Jeepin
2006-06-28, 12:34 PM
Concerning your current licenses, first make sure you have a license for every work station. I'm sure you do, hint hint. Your re-seller should do the leg work for you, they will combine all the licenses and you will end up with just one in the end. This is where you have to watch everything like a hawk. I had a major problem when I combined my licenses. I think it took well over a month, but I was also doing production work at the same time.

rkmcswain
2006-06-28, 12:37 PM
We plan to use one server for all the 30 licenses. It will be dedicated only for AutoCAD license and the license management software.

You *do* (or will) have more than 30 users, right?

Our IT guy recommends a good configuration CAD workstation, instead of a Server. What do you say?

Why? Our LM is an old desktop machine that isn't fit for use as a desktop machine any longer. All it does is serve out licenses. It could as easily go on one of our servers if needed. No reason to put it on a CAD workstation. It won't have AutoCAD installed.

abdulhuck
2006-06-28, 02:05 PM
Thanks again gents,

As I stated earlier, we have 21 workstations with stand-alone licenses, all are having proper license obtained. It may grow up to 30 in near future. Now, when we start converting, we will have these 21 licenses and we will buy 4 additional along with the conversion. The rest of the 5 will be on "as and when required " basis.
What about, if I am using a normal PC with good configuration(as a CAD workstation) as a server, where I can keep the deployment image, as well as the commonly share files (like customized files, menu, plot styles etc.). In this case the users support file search path can be pointed to this folder. Is it a good idea? What do you do normally?

Regards,

Abdul Huck

rkmcswain
2006-06-28, 04:06 PM
Thanks again gents,

As I stated earlier, we have 21 workstations with stand-alone licenses, all are having proper license obtained. It may grow up to 30 in near future. Now, when we start converting, we will have these 21 licenses and we will buy 4 additional along with the conversion. The rest of the 5 will be on "as and when required " basis.

Still never found out how many "users" will be accessing these 30 licenses....

What about, if I am using a normal PC with good configuration(as a CAD workstation) as a server, where I can keep the deployment image, as well as the commonly share files (like customized files, menu, plot styles etc.). In this case the users support file search path can be pointed to this folder. Is it a good idea? What do you do normally?

Regards,

Abdul Huck

The adminimage can be located anywhere on the network. Put it somewhere fairly permanent - not in a temporary location.

Centralizing support files is a good idea. This too can be anywhere on the network.

abdulhuck
2006-07-01, 01:02 PM
Still never found out how many "users" will be accessing these 30 licenses....

Sorry, I left out that point... We will have 5 to10 extra users who are not full time on AutoCAD. They may occupy one two licenses at a time.

Thanks for your feed back.

Regards,

Abdul Huck

Hammer.John.J
2007-01-04, 11:22 AM
Fred,

You can create profiles that contain all the path information and create a shortcut that contains the profile path. That can also help when the profile get screwed. Delete the existing profile and dbl click the icon to import the new profile.

Network is the way to go. You don't need to run around all those machines.

HTH and any question ask away.

Robert

ok, this is critical, we have done 2 deployments for our 2006 setup, one was an LDT the other was a civil 3D. I've never setup a "profile" and when we deployed, a profile called "none" or something like that was placed on every install. I can not get the search paths to stick in any deployment or in a profile. Even when i create a profile, export and import CAD will not bring the search paths with it. any suggestions or comments?

rkmcswain
2007-01-04, 01:19 PM
any suggestions or comments?

We don't mess with "profiles". We simply apply the necessary support paths at application startup each time using "acad.lsp"

Hammer.John.J
2007-01-04, 01:39 PM
lol.... mcswain... i believe we have discussed this lol....

we're going to LDT, Civil 3D, Survey, and Civil Design 07 in a couple months...

I haven't set up that automation yet, but hopefully you can walk me through doing that.