PDA

View Full Version : How do I get fields working with SSM?

Hippigypsy
2004-06-03, 08:23 PM
I use the tables for generating lists of sheet sets, this is the best thing that autocad has come up with, mine resets back to the original too. I've been spending alot of time typing to put my old data in sheet sets, and there has to be a better way of doing this. Is there a way making a sheet set with your pre-existing blocks with the attribute fields so it automates like the autocad examples do? I just started looking into this and any info would be appreciated.

Glenn Pope
2004-06-04, 04:09 AM
I use the tables for generating lists of sheet sets, this is the best thing that autocad has come up with, mine resets back to the original too. I've been spending alot of time typing to put my old data in sheet sets, and there has to be a better way of doing this. Is there a way making a sheet set with your pre-existing blocks with the attribute fields so it automates like the autocad examples do? I just started looking into this and any info would be appreciated.

You can set up a template sheet set. It took me awhile to figure out how to set up the title block so the sheet set manger could fill them out. Hopefully I can explain the process I used to get it to work.

The first thing I did was create a new sheet set from the default that was closest to my field (In my case Civil).

After you select the default your going to use, in the next dialog box put the address to the template folder that every one will have access to in "Store sheet set data file (.dst) here:". Then click on the "Sheet Set Properties" button.

At the bottom of the list there is "Sheet Set Custom Properties". Delete the ones you don't need, and add the one you do. After that, finish the wizard and go back to the manger.

Add a new sheet to it.

The drawing this will create will be where you setup you titleblocks.

In the new drawing setup your layout. If you already have a title block that you want to modify, insert it into the layout and explode it.

You will be using attributes to add your fields to, so if you already have them you can just modify them. Otherwise you will need to create new ones. For the attribute's value, right click and select "insert field".

In the "Field" dialog box, select "SheetSet" in the "Field Category:".

In the "Field names" pane select "CurrentSheetSetCustom".

Now in the "Custom Property Name" drop down and select the property that will go with the attribute.

Do this with all the attributes in your titleblock.

Wblock it out to a new drawing.

Then repeat with the next titleblock you will be using.

In a new drawing (no need to use the sheet set manager to do this) create a layout for all your different sheet sizes and titleblocks. This will become your layout template that the manger will use.

In the sheet set that you created, right click on the sheet sets name and go to properties.

In the "Sheet Creation" are, change "Sheet creation template" to the layout template drawing you created, and set "Prompt for template" to yes. Now when you create a new sheet, it will prompt you with a list of layout from your template drawing. You just select the one you want and hit OK.

Hopefully this make since. I can explain an area in more detail if you need. Maybe someone else was a better way of doing this. I just couldn't fine anything on the internet on how to do this.

Hope this helps.

Hippigypsy
2004-06-07, 08:11 PM
Your info was great. It worked like a charm! Thank you for your help. I've been experimenting, with some of the other labels with fields, like the plot scale tag - has to be in model space to pick up correct scale but all in all this is a really powerful tool.
I'll keep checking back for new posts.

Hippigypsy
2004-06-25, 12:40 PM
Does anybody know how to get the viewport scale field to associate with a viewport? The plot scale tag works fine when I insert it from views into model space, and set up the plot scale in MS for the scale that I want it to read, but it changes when I plot the sheet in paperspace (plot scale seems to pick up the scale of the last plot). I can't seem to be able to get the viewport scale field to work. The other fields work great, I set up a new job with location plans and I click Control click on the "see detail...." label in any area and it takes me right to the view/sheet with the detail..very cool.
Thanks,
Cathy

Mike.Perry
2004-06-25, 12:44 PM
Hi

Does the following thread answer your question -

Display a proper civil scale for a viewport (http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=4240)

Have a good one, Mike

stein1977
2005-03-09, 05:23 PM
I think that I have my attributes and title block set up correctly, and I have WBlock it out to a drawing. When I repeat the process do I continue using in layout mode? When you say:

In a new drawing (no need to use the sheet set manager to do this) create a layout for all your different sheet sizes and titleblocks. This will become your layout template that the manger will use.

In the sheet set that you created, right click on the sheet sets name and go to properties.

In the "Sheet Creation" are, change "Sheet creation template" to the layout template drawing you created, and set "Prompt for template" to yes. Now when you create a new sheet, it will prompt you with a list of layout from your template drawing. You just select the one you want and hit OK.
[/list]

can you explain this a little more in detail? Also I don't have have anything in my drop down for "Custom Property Name" when I am creating my attributes with "Field" options, do I just make one up?

Glenn Pope
2005-03-09, 07:44 PM
I think that I have my attributes and title block set up correctly, and I have WBlock it out to a drawing. When I repeat the process do I continue using in layout mode?Yes you would. When setting up the titleblock you have to have the sheet in the SSM, and only layouts can be added to the SSM. Also when I set up a title block, I have the layout set to the paper size I'm going to use. I position the title block where I want it on the page. So when I wblock it out, I use 0,0,0 as the base point. Now when I insert that titleblock into a drawing and give an insertion point of 0,0,0 it will be in the correct position.

can you explain this a little more in detail? In the new drawing after you created the new layouts, insert a titleblock into each layout. Make sure to keep it as a block. Then name the layout to reflect what the titleblock is. This is the template that the SSM will use when you create a new sheet.

When you are using the SSM in a project and you go to create a new sheet you will see a list of titleblocks (names matching what you used to name the layouts). Select the title block you want and the SSM will use that layout from the template drawing.

Also I don't have have anything in my drop down for "Custom Property Name" when I am creating my attributes with "Field" options, do I just make one up?The layout your using to create the titleblock must be added to the SSM. This gives you access to the custom properties. You will delete this sheet from the SSM when you are done so that the sheet doesn't show this page with someone creates a new project.

I hope this clears thing up. If not, let me know. I'll try to explain it better.

stein1977
2005-03-11, 07:47 PM
How do I get SSM to input info in TB? I have my attributes set up, I believe to do this. I would also like to learn how to have multi line project names in the attributes. Any ideas will help.

gjburkett
2005-11-16, 07:22 PM
Hey guys,

Sorry, had to bring an old topic up. :screwy: I'm setting up some standards and his method seems to be the best solution (if I can get it to work) because I really like sheetsets. Anyway, everything's working perfect except when I Wblock it out. Once I do that and insert it (as a block) into my new sheet where I build all my layouts and create my template, the field values no longer work correctly. :banghead: Is anyone able to explain what "exactly" I'm supposed to do here? Otherwise, everything works fine when I don't use my titleblocks as a block, but I would prefer them to be a block. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Or, if you've found a better method, I'd love to hear that as well. Thanks.

robert.1.hall72202
2005-11-17, 01:51 PM
This sounds like something useful, however, I am feeling a bit foreign to this subject.
Can you provide an example file??

Glenn Pope
2005-11-17, 02:26 PM
Hey guys,

Sorry, had to bring an old topic up. :screwy: I'm setting up some standards and his method seems to be the best solution (if I can get it to work) because I really like sheetsets. Anyway, everything's working perfect except when I Wblock it out. Once I do that and insert it (as a block) into my new sheet where I build all my layouts and create my template, the field values no longer work correctly. :banghead: Is anyone able to explain what "exactly" I'm supposed to do here? Otherwise, everything works fine when I don't use my titleblocks as a block, but I would prefer them to be a block. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Or, if you've found a better method, I'd love to hear that as well. Thanks.
So you have your layout template drawing that contain all the layouts that you will need in a sheet set, correct? Now when you start a project using the SSM and your prompted to select a layout for a new sheet, you will go to this file and select the layout out you want. The fields should then show correctly the info from the SSM.

keelay711
2007-02-16, 01:24 AM
I have my template all setup, and everything works as intended. Check

Now assuming all goes as planned. I have created a new project via the template. Now in the middle of the project, my boss decides to add a second engineer's stamp to the border. Normally, I would simply modify the X-ref'd border, but that isnt the case with sheet sets. I have to change each border individually. Fail

So am I missing an important point? Correcting the border on 20 different sheets is one thing I was trying to avoid!

Opie
2007-02-16, 04:21 PM
I have my template all setup, and everything works as intended. Check

Now assuming all goes as planned. I have created a new project via the template. Now in the middle of the project, my boss decides to add a second engineer's stamp to the border. Normally, I would simply modify the X-ref'd border, but that isnt the case with sheet sets. I have to change each border individually. Fail

So am I missing an important point? Correcting the border on 20 different sheets is one thing I was trying to avoid!
You can still add an XREF of your border to your template.

vapross
2008-08-30, 11:06 PM
So you have your layout template drawing that contain all the layouts that you will need in a sheet set, correct? Now when you start a project using the SSM and your prompted to select a layout for a new sheet, you will go to this file and select the layout out you want. The fields should then show correctly the info from the SSM.
sorry if it's late a bit, am i right when i start a new project with SSM it's enough to add new sheets(based on my template) with titleblocks i need and draw smth there.(one year ago i' ve been using SSM after all drawings were almost ready).
i've tested SSM with sheetset templates and it was great!so useful!another question is about a template file-could i make changes in it and its titleblocks and get it updated automatically?
so i wouldn't need to change each sheet i SSM.or only XREF can resolve such a problem as Opie said?

P.S. excuse my english it's not my native language
regards)

eklemme
2008-09-09, 01:31 PM
Set your field (Scale) by object. (First Column)
(Second Column) Select the viewport as your Object Type.
Select Custom scale for you property.
(Third Column) Select the format you want.
Would suggest you lock you viewports so that this doesn't accidently shift can get some real odd scales if you don't and someone edit through the viewport.