PDA

View Full Version : Windows XP How to prevent dragged files from accidentally being moved

johan d
2006-07-11, 12:14 PM
We have a mapped network drive where our dwgs and all other project related data is located. Its easily (and mostly by accident) that folder are moved by dragging without realizing it. The next day "Oh... all the dwgs are gone..." after a search it seems that the folder in particular has been moved to another place on that mapped network drive.

Is there a way to prevent dragging folders... (or first ask for a confirmation: Are you sure Yes-No)

thx, johan

H-Angus
2006-07-11, 12:52 PM
I'm not sure if its possible. But could you set the folders to read only but not its contents? That way the folders stay put but you can still work on the files.

johan d
2006-07-11, 12:58 PM
I don't think that is possible. But i know of a setting to ask for a confirmation when deleting files. Maybe that kind of setting also exists for moving?

BrenBren
2006-07-11, 01:44 PM
We have a mapped network drive where our dwgs and all other project related data is located. Its easily (and mostly by accident) that folder are moved by dragging without realizing it. The next day "Oh... all the dwgs are gone..." after a search it seems that the folder in particular has been moved to another place on that mapped network drive.

Is there a way to prevent dragging folders... (or first ask for a confirmation: Are you sure Yes-No)

thx, johan
I don't think so, I absolutely HATE this feature; we have users accidentally dragging folders to where they don't belong all the time and only I can move them back (permissions issues).

I would love a solution to this, but I have not found one as of yet...

The VLG
2006-07-11, 04:05 PM

thx, johan
The amount of time that someone has come up to me asking where such-and-such folder has gone to & then stood there looking over my shoulder while I perform a simple search for them (I always think that it's a good chance that they moved it in the first place) argh!!!
But getting back to the point, I've often found that the folder has been partially moved, so that during the operation, because of the amount of information being moved someone has canceled the move & then done NOTHING when they are aware that they have messed up is what really gets me.:banghead:

I think that that turned into a bit of a rant, but you get the picture. :)

Doodlemusmaximus
2006-07-12, 07:13 AM
The amount of time that someone has come up to me asking where such-and-such folder has gone to & then stood there looking over my shoulder while I perform a simple search for them (I always think that it's a good chance that they moved it in the first place) argh!!!
But getting back to the point, I've often found that the folder has been partially moved, so that during the operation, because of the amount of information being moved someone has canceled the move & then done NOTHING when they are aware that they have messed up is what really gets me.:banghead:

I think that that turned into a bit of a rant, but you get the picture. :)
I know exactly what your talking about, they tend to, we were always having this happen at the previous place. Someone would pick a folder drag it by mistake and the press the escape key repeatedly to stop it. The trouble was the damage had been partially done by then and the information was dumped (windows is good like that) somewhere else. All they had to do was to undo the move/copy or what ever they were doing......

I solved the problem by moving all the CAD files to another location (so saving all heart ache of losing work, paths etc well you know the rest). I then got the tIT department to set up profiles for different groups so allowing viewing but nothing else. this then meant that you could only edit files that you needed to. It didn't completely stop the problem but it sure did cut it down to a very infrequent event.

Think the best thing is education of workers, everyone knows a little about PC/Windows but quite often it isn't enough. Simple online helps training programs that personnel can do will be of a big help, but this of course takes time to set up and will have to be put to the powers that be carefully. The other alternative is to Gestapo-ise the system were by personnel have to check out the file electronically and then check them back in when they are finished. long winded and inefficient, but effective.

I hope that some of this helps in some small way.

The VLG
2006-07-12, 08:37 AM
..., everyone knows a little about PC/Windows but quite often it isn't enough. ...

A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing....

Doodlemusmaximus
2006-07-12, 08:44 AM
A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing....
I know its scary sometimes or even painful to watch. I had one chap who was forever using the help in every application, which is okay, except it was for things he had been doing for ages and should have remembered first off. I had to let the chap go in the end.

johan d
2006-07-12, 08:48 AM
i think my question has more to do with accidentally holding the mouse button pressed. Not so much about PC knowledge, because everyone has already moved folders this way (maybe realizing it immediately and correcting the situation, but....)

There must be a way......... !?!?!????

Doodlemusmaximus
2006-07-12, 09:19 AM
i think my question has more to do with accidentally holding the mouse button pressed. Not so much about PC knowledge, because everyone has already moved folders this way (maybe realizing it immediately and correcting the situation, but....)

There must be a way......... !?!?!????
I think with that you either have to search through the help files in windows or even MS website to see if there is a way. I can't think of anyway to do it off the top of my head but I'm sure that if it is possible the guys at MS will know. Failing that you could always google it and see if there is a add on program to do the job for you.

johan d
2006-07-12, 09:45 AM
I found this on the web, but it didn't work on my PC... Maybe on yours it will...?

finaly found it. We had the same problem here with users
draging folders by mistake. You can set the drag and drop or
copy and paste files confirmation prompt

1802 = Drag and drop or copy and paste files
Note: Unless stated otherwise, each DWORD value is equal to zero, one, or three. Typically, a setting of zero sets a specific action as permitted, a setting of one causes a prompt to appear, and a setting of three does not allow the specific action.

Locally

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\
Internet Settings\Zones\0]
"1802"=dword:00000001

AND on the intranet:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\
Internet Settings\Zones\1]
"1802"=dword:00000001

KB182569 - Description of Internet Explorer Security Zones
Registry Entries
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?Product=winxp&scid=kb;en-us;182569