PDA

View Full Version : Update a Field using a visibility state in a Block

pangell
2006-07-17, 04:44 PM
Question????

I have a door block in a drawing that is in a unit block with 2 visibility states. When I add a door call out to the door it will pick up the door info. But if I update the door info the block door call out will not update. But if I delete the visibility state form the unit block the door tag will update.

How can I get the door call out to update if I add a visibility state to my unit block.

Chris.N
2006-07-17, 05:00 PM
please forgive me, but i'm still a little confused by your problem description and block relationships. first, is the door block itself a Dynamic Block? (sorry, but i'm at a loss as to what a 'unit block' is refering to) and what version of cad are you using?

pangell
2006-07-17, 06:06 PM
Yes the Door is an Dynamic Block. And the door is nested in a Dynamic Block with other objects.

Chris.N
2006-07-17, 06:21 PM
Yes the Door is an Dynamic Block. And the door is nested in a Dynamic Block with other objects.if i understand you correctly, you should not be nesting DB's. that may be why you are having issues. the removal of the 'vis state' (if that's the only Dynamic property you have in the tag) makes it a normal block

Rico
2006-07-17, 06:22 PM
Yes the Door is an Dynamic Block. And the door is nested in a Dynamic Block with other objects.
maybe it has something to do with the fact that it is nested?

I don't think it works that way ......... am i wrong, Chris?

Opie
2006-07-17, 06:22 PM
Is the field in an ATTRIBUTE object or in a TEXT/MTEXT object? FIELDs do not update in TEXT/MTEXT objects within blocks.

Chris.N
2006-07-17, 06:23 PM
maybe it has something to do with the fact that it is nested?

I don't think it works that way ......... am i wrong, Chris?hehehe GMTA. (and one minute apart apparently!)

Rico
2006-07-17, 06:23 PM
if i understand you correctly, you should not be nesting DB's. that may be why you are having issues. the removal of the 'vis state' (if that's the only Dynamic property you have in the tag) makes it a normal block
Yeah, you have to regen to update a field, but if the block is nested, then it doesn't react the same way as the other blocks ....

deleting a vis state and making it a regular kind of defeats the purpose of Dbs, doesn't it? You go to all the trouble only to delete a vis state? :screwy:

pangell
2006-07-17, 06:29 PM
The visibility state is the only Dynamic item in the block. So that is it. But why can the callout not pick up the property set info with Dynamic info in the block. There must ba a way to do it.

Chris.N
2006-07-17, 06:31 PM
The visibility state is the only Dynamic item in the block. So that is it. But why can the callout not pick up the property set info with Dynamic info in the block. There must ba a way to do it.ok, let's eliminate some assumptions. can you please post your file for additional comment? (2006 please)

pangell
2006-07-17, 06:33 PM
The block that I have created is for a unit type in a condo. But on the 3rd floor the outside walls change a little. So I added an Visibiliby state to the block to show the change. But because of the I can not use my door callout to pull the door property set info. This is a great youse of the Dynamic Block. so we need to find a way to do this.

Chris.N
2006-07-17, 06:40 PM
The block that I have created is for a unit type in a condo. But on the 3rd floor the outside walls change a little. So I added an Visibiliby state to the block to show the change. But because of the I can not use my door callout to pull the door property set info. This is a great youse of the Dynamic Block. so we need to find a way to do this.i would not embed your door tags for one, and as for your unit wall, use xref's and layers to toggle wall locations like that! It will simplify your life more than you can imagine in this issue!

pangell
2006-07-17, 06:43 PM
Ok.

Attached is the file. Open the file. you will see the door tag. click on the Dynamic Block and click on the door. Change the door number to 02. The save and you will see that is does not update.( Note: if you right click on the door tag you can select tag and it will update.) Now remove the visibility state from the Dynamic Block and then do the same and the door tag will update.

There has to be a way to get the door tag to update and keep the visibility state.

Chris.N
2006-07-17, 06:54 PM
Ok.

Attached is the file. Open the file. you will see the door tag. click on the Dynamic Block and click on the door. Change the door number to 02. The save and you will see that is does not update.( Note: if you right click on the door tag you can select tag and it will update.) Now remove the visibility state from the Dynamic Block and then do the same and the door tag will update.

There has to be a way to get the door tag to update and keep the visibility state.wow, you really should xref the plan instead of blocking it like this. you can still array xrefs like normal blocks.

Rico
2006-07-17, 07:18 PM
wow, you really should xref the plan instead of blocking it like this. you can still array xrefs like normal blocks.
hmmm .... i'm not sure that I understand what the problem is ... the door callout isn't connected to anything from where I can see ..... and even if it was, changing the vis state does not change the door type ..... maybe I got it all wrong ....

Chris is right, though ... Xref would be a much better tool in a scenario like this.

pangell
2006-07-17, 08:34 PM
The drawing is just a part of my drawing that is in my base plan. Then that drawing it xref into my sheet drawings.

What I need it for the callout to pick up the door prop. info for the room number and the door number that is in the door block. and up date it as I change the info for the door. It will not do that if I have a visibility state. But I need it to.

I am using ADT 2006.

Chris.N
2006-07-17, 08:54 PM
The drawing is just a part of my drawing that is in my base plan. Then that drawing it xref into my sheet drawings.

What I need it for the callout to pick up the door prop. info for the room number and the door number that is in the door block. and up date it as I change the info for the door. It will not do that if I have a visibility state. But I need it to.

I am using ADT 2006.i think if you re-work how you handle your unit blocks, you may find a solution. sorry, but i think it's bad to nest DB's, and this is just highlighting some reasons why. how did you manage your unit blocks previously?

pangell
2006-07-17, 08:59 PM
What I did befor. Was if I had a unit block. And that I need one more unit that was that same but a small change in one part. I would make a hole new block. But then if objects that were the same in both blocks changed. Then I would have to edit both blocks. That is why I am doing it this new way.

Chris.N
2006-07-17, 09:07 PM
What I did befor. Was if I had a unit block. And that I need one more unit that was that same but a small change in one part. I would make a hole new block. But then if objects that were the same in both blocks changed. Then I would have to edit both blocks. That is why I am doing it this new way.ok, that makes sense, but can you just make a DB of only the part that changes? do you think if you DB'd the wall only, but left the rest normal, would that make a difference?

pangell
2006-07-18, 12:00 PM
Yes that would work somewhat. But if an item changed that was the same then I mite have to change 2 diffrent blocks. It would just take more time. It is just a simple thing that I am trying to do.

Chris.N
2006-07-18, 01:37 PM
Yes that would work somewhat. But if an item changed that was the same then I mite have to change 2 diffrent blocks. It would just take more time. It is just a simple thing that I am trying to do.sometimes it's the supposedly 'simple' things that frustrate us the most, isn't it? ;)
i guess the question is (untill autodesk allows easily nested DB's) which feature is more important to you right now. the unit blocks being Dynamic, or the field issues of your door tags.
unless someone else out there has found a solution to the same thing you are trying to do, it doesn't look like this particular case will allow you to have your cake and eat it too.