PDA

View Full Version : Unable to edit AutoCAD drawing files embedded into Word documents

jhopkin
2004-06-07, 04:45 PM
I know this is a 2005 forum but i thought i could seek some help with 2004.

We are having an issue with Autocad files that are embedded in a Word document. We are unable to edit the autocad file when we try to open it. We are using Acad 2004 and Word 2002. Some of the Autocad files are old version of Acad and we assume this may be part of the issue. We did have this problem in the past and we there was a fix for it, but that fix does not work on this version of acad or word. Any suggestions or help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Jeff Hopkin

Beth Powell
2004-06-07, 05:03 PM
Are you using Copy Link from the Edit pull down menu or are these documents that were created with Word from your previous version of ACAD?

Copy Link works great! I wouldn't swear to it, but I believe that if say you created these back when you had ACAD 2002 on your computer and you don't anymore it may not work. I think that it should (theory) use whatever you have your ACAD set at though.

You must have ACAD on the machine obviously and someone had to have done an actual paste and not a paste special to make it a picture.

If my comments don't apply, please feel free to post your Word doc or send me a PM and I'll send you my email so you can send it to me to look at. (I'll be out of the office quite a bit over the next two weeks though so it may not be immediate.)

Mike.Perry
2004-06-07, 05:11 PM
Hi

Check out the following Technical Documents on the Autodesk web site under the Knowledge Base section...

ID: TS70007 - Error: Cannot activate activex object (http://usa.autodesk.com/getdoc/id=TS70007)

ID: TS67330 - Edit embedded AutoCAD LTĀ® 97/98 drawings in later release of AutoCAD LT (http://usa.autodesk.com/getdoc/id=TS67330)

Have a good one, Mike

Vodad
2004-06-07, 09:10 PM
We are having the same problems with autocad and excel we have embedded drawings in excel that worked fine and when we upgraded to 2005 they stopped working and actually rebooted the system if you clicked on them to edit the drawing. Talk about bad timing with it I noticed it the monday after the sasser worm came out and thought that I had gotten a virus. I did not get a thing done that day trying to figure out what was going on. So if anyone knows a way to fix these I could really use being able to edit those drawings.

Thanks.

paul.ctr.thompson
2007-03-29, 08:31 PM
I have the problem of not being able to edit SOME Autocad files by double-clicking them in Word 2003. I believe these were created on an older version of Autocad (R14?), just because I know this had been done by the product manufacturer 10 years + ago. I can edit a few of them, however, which makes me think they had been "re-edited" with a more recent edition of ACAD. Autocad 2005 is the server-version in use. One of my colleagues IS able to open the ones I can't, however, I'm guessing he must have the older version on his PC as well as the Autocad 2005 :confused: I tried going to the links represented by TS 44787 and TS 71969 above, without success. Both say the page is not found. Any ideas where I could find the fix(es) currently? Thanks in advance!

robert.1.hall72202
2007-03-29, 08:50 PM
I agree with everyone here. I find editing embedded AutoCad files , Hit or Miss.
Is there a proper way to set up the associating and the designer may have it
set up wrong?

matthew.klem
2009-08-13, 12:09 AM
When and why do you use copylink? I can see the benefit of using it to insert screenshots into word docs or an e-mail or something, but what is the benefit to being able to link a cad drawing into a word document? If there are those of you who use this feature regularly, what do you use it for?

I have had no luck being able to edit the source file from the destination file. All i am able to do is change the "picture" properties with Words native photo tools...

Thanks in advance for your input.