PDA

View Full Version : Extrude a profile along a curved path

dlampley.41310
2006-07-24, 09:04 PM
Found an application that Microstation is capable of (or rather Inroads), and so I wanna know if AutoCAD can do the same . . . and hopefully even better.

We're doing a curved bridge. If we develop a cross-section of the bridge, and a centerline that represents the curved profile of the bridge . . . can I tell AutoCAD to extrude the cross section along the centerline profile? Furthermore, can I tell it that I want the whole thing to slope at 5% along the centerline, and 2% perpendicular to the centerline? Make sense?

And by the way, I'm not really looking for a yes or no kinda answer. I'm looking for a "how" kinda answer. Maybe this is a Civil 3D function. If so, let me know; we have that too. I'm currently using ADT2006.

Opie
2006-07-24, 09:31 PM
I would think it would be more appropriate for Civil 3D.

jaberwok
2006-07-25, 07:01 AM
If you mean something like a roller coaster ride then yes it can be done in plain acad by using Divide or Measure on a polyline that represents the centreline in one plane and projecting those points onto an extruded polyline that represents the centreline at 90%.

If you have other options, use them. :-)

aledtaylor79401
2006-08-07, 12:08 PM
You can extrude a profile (closed polyline or region) along a path using the 'extrude' command with the 'path' option.

As for the incline, I'd calculate the angle you require and use the 'rotate' command.

Aled Taylor
Design Engineer