PDA

View Full Version : Attributes do not move as X, Y & Z scale is changed via the Properties dialog box

tim.101799
2006-07-24, 09:11 PM
I created a dynamic drawing title block that work pretty good. The only problem is if I use the properties dialog box to change the X, Y & Z scale of the block, the attribute do not move with the rest of the objects as the scale changes. But if I use the scale command it works just fine.

Chris.N
2006-07-24, 09:30 PM
I created a dynamic drawing title block that work pretty good. The only problem is if I use the properties dialog box to change the X, Y & Z scale of the block, the attribute do not move with the rest of the objects as the scale changes. But if I use the scale command it works just fine.if you do an informational search about DB's, you'll find that you can't make the scale of DB's anything other than uniform (XYZ=1)for them to work correctly. work out those functions within the Block Editor itself and all should be well.

Rico
2006-07-25, 01:24 PM
I created a dynamic drawing title block that work pretty good. The only problem is if I use the properties dialog box to change the X, Y & Z scale of the block, the attribute do not move with the rest of the objects as the scale changes. But if I use the scale command it works just fine.
Open your DB and make sure that the "scale uniformly" option is set to yes. I believe this may fix it.

Chris.N
2006-07-25, 01:29 PM
Open your DB and make sure that the "scale uniformly" option is set to yes. I believe this may fix it.Hmph! I had forgot about that one! Maybe a side note should be that ALL DB's should have this feature set to 'yes'? it should then override those 0.0000000001 XYZ variations that may also be causing pain....

Thanks Rico! ;)

Rico
2006-07-25, 01:34 PM
Hmph! I had forgot about that one! Maybe a side note should be that ALL DB's should have this feature set to 'yes'? it should then override those 0.0000000001 XYZ variations that may also be causing pain....

Thanks Rico! ;)
Not ALL DBs work properly when Scale Uniformly is set to yes ... I'm thinking, in particular those blocks that use arcs. If I'm not mistaken, if arcs scale the same as the rest of the block, they don't quite work.

I think it's more trial and error. Maybe start to yes and then if things don't work as expected, set to no and see what happens?

I actually helped YOU ?!?!?!? I'm scared ....

Chris.N
2006-07-25, 02:05 PM
Not ALL DBs work properly when Scale Uniformly is set to yes ... I'm thinking, in particular those blocks that use arcs. If I'm not mistaken, if arcs scale the same as the rest of the block, they don't quite work.

I think it's more trial and error. Maybe start to yes and then if things don't work as expected, set to no and see what happens?

I actually helped YOU ?!?!?!? I'm scared ....hmmm, never ran into that before... we are both talking about the 'block' inself, and not actions, right?

Dunno, always thought that routinely modifying blocks using unequal XYZ scale factors (except in very special occasions) was considered a bad habit IMHO... ~shrug~

Rico
2006-07-25, 02:15 PM
hmmm, never ran into that before... we are both talking about the 'block' inself, and not actions, right?
I ran into it a couple of times. I can't remember where or when or what block. It had something to do with text and arcs .... But that does stand out for me ...... wow was that vague!

You're right though, it is good blocking habits to make sure that all your DBs are set to scale uniformly.

Yes, the block in itself not the actions or parameters.

tim.101799
2006-07-25, 02:33 PM

I actually helped YOU ?!?!?!? I'm scared ....

The block is set to scale uniformly, and it actually does. I didn'e explain well enough. what happens that when I scale though the properties dialog box, eveything scales to the write size, just that the attributes move to a different location. See for yourself. I have attached the block in question.

Insert it into a drawing at a scale of 96.

Use the scale command, and scale the block .5 (should now have a scale factor of 48)

Then using the change properties dialog box change the scale factor to 24 and see what happens.

Also, while you are checking that block out. I have this block set up to use with sheet set manager, so the attribute in the block are linked to fields. Is there a wat I can modify the attributes / files so that they insert with a blank value and still have the fields work with SSM

Tim

Chris.N
2006-07-25, 02:38 PM
The block is set to scale uniformly, and it actually does. I didn'e explain well enough. what happens that when I scale though the properties dialog box, eveything scales to the write size, just that the attributes move to a different location. See for yourself. I have attached the block in question.

Insert it into a drawing at a scale of 96.

Use the scale command, and scale the block .5 (should now have a scale factor of 48)

Then using the change properties dialog box change the scale factor to 24 and see what happens.

Also, while you are checking that block out. I have this block set up to use with sheet set manager, so the attribute in the block are linked to fields. Is there a wat I can modify the attributes / files so that they insert with a blank value and still have the fields work with SSM

Timah, HA!!! i just had this happen to me a while back (based on your description, i haven't looked at your file)
your attributes gone 'wonky'? use BATTMAN command (i love that one!), select the block name at the top pull-down bar, and click the 'SYNC' button. it has always worked for me. it should correctly resize your attributes...

tim.101799
2006-07-25, 02:52 PM
ah, HA!!! i just had this happen to me a while back (based on your description, i haven't looked at your file)
your attributes gone 'wonky'? use BATTMAN command (i love that one!), select the block name at the top pull-down bar, and click the 'SYNC' button. it has always worked for me. it should correctly resize your attributes...

That works, but only as the problem occurs. So everytime someone scales this block they will have to run that command. I need to fix it in the base file.

Rico
2006-07-25, 03:02 PM
That works, but only as the problem occurs. So everytime someone scales this block they will have to run that command. I need to fix it in the base file.
I can't remember that well, but play around with the "lock location" of your text. That might fix it?

tim.101799
2006-07-25, 03:13 PM
I can't remember that well, but play around with the "lock location" of your text. That might fix it?

The "lock position" didn't do anything. I have several other call out blocks very similar that do not have this problem. If all else fails I may just re-male this block.

Chris.N
2006-07-25, 03:15 PM
The "lock position" didn't do anything. I have several other call out blocks very similar that do not have this problem. If all else fails I may just re-male this block.does the same thing happen on a similar non-dynamic block?

Rico
2006-07-25, 03:17 PM
The "lock position" didn't do anything. I have several other call out blocks very similar that do not have this problem. If all else fails I may just re-male this block.
well then why don't I stop talking? ;) just kidding. If you do re-make the block, it might fix the problem. Often times it's simply a matter of those dang AutoCAD gnomes that come to play with our minds .....

tim.101799
2006-07-25, 03:26 PM
does the same thing happen on a similar non-dynamic block?

No, this is the only block with this problem

Chris.N
2006-07-25, 03:40 PM
No, this is the only block with this problemhave you tried linking a scale parameter for the whole DB to a lookup? you could bypass the properties box and make scalefactor selections on-screen.

Rico
2006-07-25, 03:44 PM
have you tried linking a scale parameter for the whole DB to a lookup? you could bypass the properties box and make scalefactor selections on-screen.
That's a good suggestion. Never thought of that before.