PDA

View Full Version : Best Practices with linking/importing AutoCAD 2D linework.

david.metcalf
2006-08-10, 04:46 PM
Has anyone taken 2D line work from the architect and somehow used Revit Systesm from that linework to create 'Spaces" and add room bounding information?

Wondered how this will work with such files.

David

pporter
2006-08-10, 05:02 PM
Hello David,

Most of our work in Revit systems has been from existing building drawings. We import with a link to the Architectural ( or whatever file) and basically trace over the walls, doors, etc with revit objects, set the phase of those objects as existing then start our mechanical and lighting drawings. Some managers look at the tracing as an unnecessary waste of time but in the end it is a great time saver because now you have the existing building partially created and section and elevation cuts are all being created from that with ease.

david.metcalf
2006-08-10, 05:47 PM
Thanks, I was afraid of that item coming up. Since its modeling over what the architect drafted. But I agree, for plotting would you then turn off the model and use the linked file for backgrounds?

Thanks
David

pporter
2006-08-10, 06:01 PM
David,

Once I have traced the Arch. background into revit objects you have the option of just using the revit or the autocad method:

Revit Method:
-Just use the arch walls that you have created and do all of your work in revit maintaining the arch and your MEP stuff (meainging you would be responsible for all the minor changes that may happen to the architecural files in revit). so you have a complete revit project of everything exactly as the building should look (that is until your Arch. people get on board and can provide revit work for you)

or

Autocad method:
-Just link the arch background so you have a layout of your boundaries, trace it up with revit content (you have to trace it up because some of the items you want to add may need walls and ceilings and floors as host) and just turn off the architectural revit stuff (by way of "worksets") when plotting so that you always show the linked file 2d and your MEP 3d. And remember you can always just export out your stuff into 2d Acad files so the architects and everyone else can Reference in your stuff into their Acad work.

Confused yet??

david.metcalf
2006-08-10, 09:41 PM
That makes sense, I am partial to using the linked AutoCAD backgrounds and using only the Revit content to create the MEP plans.

David