PDA

View Full Version : Advice on CAD PC spec

llouw102199
2006-08-23, 03:10 PM
Is there a space at AUGI where the ultimate CAD pc spec would be available. Just some recommendations on motherboards, processors (P4 vs XEON), video cards, etc. I have to buy a 3d CAD workstation for C$3,000.00 max. Any ideas.

BrenBren
2006-08-23, 03:14 PM
Is there a space at AUGI where the ultimate CAD pc spec would be available. Just some recommendations on motherboards, processors (P4 vs XEON), video cards, etc. I have to buy a 3d CAD workstation for C$3,000.00 max. Any ideas.
I have moved this to the Hardware forum; if you look through this forum, you may find answers to what you are looking for.

robert.1.hall72202
2006-08-24, 05:47 PM
Should be able to find a decent pc around that price.
Downgrade the hard drive space (an 80gig is just fine),
no dvd writer, and stick with onboard sound.

The remaining 3k can get a decent video card, 2 gigs of ram, and
the latest processor. Try to go with the latest Nvidia or ATI card. All cards
these days contain settings that relate to the various cad packages.

CGM
2006-08-31, 03:33 PM
Is there a space at AUGI where the ultimate CAD pc spec would be available. Just some recommendations on motherboards, processors (P4 vs XEON), video cards, etc. I have to buy a 3d CAD workstation for C$3,000.00 max. Any ideas.This thread about upgrading has plenty of ideas for the small budget. It is very much along the lines of what your asking with recommendations fro 3D cad work, etc...

Maverick91
2006-08-31, 04:45 PM
...Downgrade the hard drive space (an 80gig is just fine),
no dvd writer, ...
.I dissagree with both of these. As soon as free HD space starts to become less and less (and it will), performance suffers. As soon as you get the PC with no DVD writer, you'll have a client that wants just that.

Ogre
2006-08-31, 06:31 PM
I dissagree with both of these. As soon as free HD space starts to become less and less (and it will), performance suffers. As soon as you get the PC with no DVD writer, you'll have a client that wants just that.
I agree with Doug about the DVD writer...You can get one for under $100, but an 80 gig is sufficient...If you really need HD space, then you can always buy another one later or get an external...Plus, what are networks for if you do not use the server's space??? Plus with the money you save on the smaller HD you can upgrade the HD to a WD Raptor 10k RPM w/ 16 MB cache...Plus if you really run out of space, you can also use the DVD burner for backup purposes...

Maverick91
2006-08-31, 07:56 PM
I agree with Doug about the DVD writer...You can get one for under $100, but an 80 gig is sufficient...If you really need HD space, then you can always buy another one later or get an external...Plus, what are networks for if you do not use the server's space??? Plus with the money you save on the smaller HD you can upgrade the HD to a WD Raptor 10k RPM w/ 16 MB cache...Plus if you really run out of space, you can also use the DVD burner for backup purposes...Different perspective. I'm essentially a one-man CAD setup here in the company. I'm accustomed to having ALL of our CAD files on a second hard drive on my PC and at my fingertips. Only when I got a new machine last month did we move the entirety of files to the servers. Out IT guy didn't tell me and mapped the old drive name to the server and I never knew the difference -- smart little b@stard ;-)

Ogre
2006-08-31, 08:08 PM
Different perspective. I'm essentially a one-man CAD setup here in the company. I'm accustomed to having ALL of our CAD files on a second hard drive on my PC and at my fingertips. Only when I got a new machine last month did we move the entirety of files to the servers. Out IT guy didn't tell me and mapped the old drive name to the server and I never knew the difference -- smart little b@stard ;-)
I am sure that your machine got backed up ever night in case your workstation spontaneously combusted right??? While I can understand the desire of all CAD files on your HD (speed and accessability), but I cannot agree with the practice...Being a one-man show should make no difference...Maybe it is because I was a Network Administrator before I was a CAD guy, but it scares me when people save to their HD and not to a network...Your IT guy was really smart by the way...

Maverick91
2006-08-31, 08:18 PM
I am sure that your machine got backed up ever night in case your workstation spontaneously combusted right??? While I can understand the desire of all CAD files on your HD (speed and accessability), but I cannot agree with the practice...Being a one-man show should make no difference...Maybe it is because I was a Network Administrator before I was a CAD guy, but it scares me when people save to their HD and not to a network...Your IT guy was really smart by the way...We had back-ups, sort of.. on a regular basis, sort of... we're doing much better now.

powermarc
2006-08-31, 08:23 PM
I agree with Doug about the DVD writer...You can get one for under $100..
No joke about getting a DVD writer for under $100 - I just bought an excellent Samsung 16X DVD+R drive with LightScribe for less than $35 at NewEgg.com.

jaberwok
2006-08-31, 09:32 PM
No joke about getting a DVD writer for under $100 - I just bought an excellent Samsung 16X DVD+R drive with LightScribe for less than $35 at NewEgg.com.

I paid about the same in £ last month for a Pioneer.

Ogre
2006-08-31, 09:46 PM
I read something on Tom's Hardware that they built a 4.0 Ghz PC for under $700...It looks legit...They also show a "TOL" 4.0 Ghz parts list...

Wanderer
2006-09-01, 01:02 AM
I am a 'one-man' dept :razz: but, always save all my files to the server (well, I keep my block library on my secondary hard drive. I know our server is backed up offsite weekly, but, I also back up to my 2nd hard drive about twice a year, and usually once a year to cd.

On more than on occasion, IT has done a backup restore of the server and I've lost about a week of work. They don't even give us notices, they just assume noone will notice. :roll:

Another horror story, I was told we were being moved to a new server about a week before it happened. I backed up all my files. Then, when we were ported over to the new server, I noticed that only about 1/3 of my files had been moved over. I called and took a few days to find someone who said they could help me. He ported over another 1/3. I called back again, he said, too late, the old server had been discarded. So, I backed up the remaining files from my hard drive. That was silly.

But!!! In the past 6 1/2 years, I have had two hard drives fail on me. So... yeah, nothing's foolproof, but, I like to cover my bases.
I am sure that your machine got backed up ever night in case your workstation spontaneously combusted right??? While I can understand the desire of all CAD files on your HD (speed and accessability), but I cannot agree with the practice...Being a one-man show should make no difference...Maybe it is because I was a Network Administrator before I was a CAD guy, but it scares me when people save to their HD and not to a network...Your IT guy was really smart by the way...