PDA

View Full Version : Smeared Mylars (recording)

jwilliamson
2004-06-11, 03:42 PM
We use a HP plotter and the water soluble ink can be smeared on the Mylars. The City of Boston record has rejected the record dwgs twice now. Has anyone else had this problem? How did you solve it? We have tried using a sealer over the ink.

Mike.Perry
2004-06-11, 03:56 PM
Hi

Please note I've *moved* this Topic (Thread) from the AutoCAD General Forum (http://forums.augi.com/forumdisplay.php?f=120) to this one as I believe it would be better served here.

Thanks, Mike

Forum Moderator

Glenn Pope
2004-06-11, 06:13 PM
You might try to see if there are ink cartridges that are made for mylar. I have never seen any though. The only other thing would be to use a sealer. We have had to do this a couple of times a long time ago.

Or you can find an old pen plotter and get the special pens :mrgreen:

RobertB
2004-06-11, 08:02 PM
Pay a repro house to produce the mylars?

srsherrill
2004-06-11, 11:58 PM
If you are plotting single sheets, you could try an old hand drafter's technique. Prepare the mylar before the plot by applying "pounce". For the uninitiated, Pounce is a small can of gritty powder that you shake over the drawing surface and scrub into it with the attached felt ring. Be sure to and brush away the excess residue. It was designed to use on linen and tracing paper, but also works well on mylar and will help ink hold fast when nothing else will do the job.

The Dinosaur

mjfarrell
2004-06-11, 11:59 PM
I would suggest making a call to one of the numbers
http://welcome.hp.com/country/us/en/contact/phone_assist.html#section3
and assk what they suggest in the way of media, and ink cartridge
combinations, while there seek any drivers or firmware patches if any.

scott.wilcox
2004-06-14, 06:58 PM
Used to have the same issues here until we switched to HP mylars that were specific to puir plotter (HP 1055cm). After switching Mylar media, ink dried after only a few minutes. On previous mylar media, the ink would still smear the next morning.

It's quite amazing how much difference the media made, although they were both mylar, and looked identical to the naked eye.

Scott

Lemons
2004-06-15, 06:43 PM
Ditto on what Scott said. Use only HP products (cartridges, media) with HP plotters. You'll get the best results that way.