PDA

View Full Version : VPN Blocks License Server

pdavis
2006-09-07, 05:50 PM
All of our Autodesk software is network licensed. If one of our laptop uses logs into our network using our VPN and they DID NOT checkout or borrow a license, the VPN blocks access to our license server.

Is there a method to get a license to that remote user?

As I said, we are totally network licensed and the IT department tells me that they can't modify the secure client VPN software so that it will not block the license server.

.T.
2006-09-07, 07:25 PM
It may not be the VPN software. It could be that the port is blocked at your firewall, if you have one, which IT should be able to modify and allow access to that port. If I remember correctly, it is port 27000 by default.

Just an idea...

rkmcswain
2006-09-07, 09:13 PM
That would be my guess also. We have users logging in to the VPN from home and on the road, and they are able to pull licenses with no problem.

Mike.Perry
2006-09-08, 01:24 AM
Hi "pdavis" ( Sorry, I do not know your real name )

Please note I have *moved* this thread from the CAD Mgmt. General (http://forums.augi.com/forumdisplay.php?f=119) forum to this one, as I feel this particular forum is a more appropriate place for such a topic.

Thanks, Mike

Forum Manager

pdavis
2006-09-08, 03:14 AM
Our IT department mentioned something about our VPN client having its own firewall. Something about an extra layer of security. We have an OUTSTANDING IT group and they really do try to work with you.

I know it isn't possible, but the user that was having issues was hoping that someone in the office could "borrow" a license and we could somehow email that data to her.

DarrenYoung
2006-09-11, 01:28 PM
LMGRD uses TCP ports 27000 through 27009
ADSKFLEX uses TCP port 2080
Check to see if your workstations can PING your license server while connected via VPN.

If the VPN has a firewall, make sure the above ports are open.
If your routers have a firewall, make sure those ports are open.
If the Windows firewall is on, make sure those ports are open.

If you can't ping, perhaps it's also a DNS issue. Try pinging by TCP/IP address as opposed to a server name or fully qualified domain name.

Also, if you are using a slow connection (dial-up, wireless, congested DSL/Cable), your trafic might actually be allowed but the new license cascading features of 2007 make the latency more of a problem in which case, you need to increase the LMBORROW_TIMEOUT setting per FlexLM's documentation.