PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations for Plotters

stu1037
2006-09-11, 04:13 PM
4 years ago, when i started at the company i'm currently at, we had just aquired a Xerox 8825. It has certain quirks that i've come to accept. Problems the service company was never able to solve, but for the most part, it served our purposes. It was fast too, 9 sec/sheet.

I estimate that we run between 6000 and 10000 sft per month. I wish i really knew, this might be a little easier.

Well, our ancient copier finally died. And we wanted the ability to scan large format. We looked at a few different options in our area. Two of our other offices have Ricoh 240W plotters and we all have other multifunction office machines from the same company. I thought I would go with the same machine as our other offices and simplify the invoices by going with the same company. It was also quite affordable compared to the other options.

We got one around the beginning of July. It copies and scans just fine. Or, issues are probably due to user error resulting from the confusing interface. We produce 5 to 30 page coallated sets on a regular basis and need a machine that can stack these without messing up the sheet order. This Ricoh 240 can't do this very well, you have to babysit it to make sure the drawings don't get caught on each other. We ordered the Ricoh stacking table. As a mechanical engineer, I can't possibly believe that they sell such a worthless piece of ****.

Worst of all, the trailing edge of the sheet doesn't get printed. The service company has been trying to fix this since we got the thing. That's right, almost 2 months now, they are at our office 2-3 times a week. Still no solution.

So, i'm completely frustrated with the thing, not sure if we can get out of our lease or not, but i'm asking others out there, what do you use?

I'm sure all plotters have their issues, but there has to be someone out there that's happy with what they have.

Thanks,
sTu

rkmcswain
2006-09-11, 05:26 PM
We run about 150,000 sq.ft./month on an Oce TDS800. The hardware is about as bulletproof as you can get. The software is poor, at best. Once you learn the software and all it's quirks, you're alright though.

No problems with stacking, etc. It plots at 42 linear ft./minute

For your amount of volume, you might look at the TDS450 (http://tinyurl.com/phnw6). We don't know your budget though.

Mike.Perry
2006-09-11, 11:52 PM
Hi sTu

Please note I have *moved* this thread from the AutoCAD Plotting (http://forums.augi.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34) forum to this one, as I feel this particular forum is a more appropriate place for such a topic.

Thanks, Mike

Forum Manager

Mike.Perry
2006-09-12, 12:00 AM
Hi

Have you tried browsing / looking through this forum... you should be able to find some helpful / useful information.

Here are a couple of recent threads that you may find...

People's impressions of KIP 6000 & 3000 Plotters

Large-Format Scanner/Multi-Function Opinions

Have a good one, Mike

.chad
2006-09-12, 01:32 PM
the sales people at HP are very helpful from my experience - especially if you know how much you are printing. thats the one thing i wish i had more info on when we upgraded plotters earlier this year, on a busy day, we double or triple the duty cycle for the plotter we have =/