PDA

View Full Version : Managing Room Tags and that error message about....

Steve_Stafford
2003-06-12, 03:01 AM
Delete room tags at the schedule first! (don't if you have a lot of data attached to them, like room finish info)

Wordy, punchy commentary follows:(you just read what you need to know, if you want to be distracted read on...)

If you liberally apply room tags in a project and "someone" has the nerve to change things on you...you've no doubt been introduced to the room tags message dialog about, the room tag refers to blah blah blah.

Why oh why you say? Everytime you tag a "room" Revit knows about said room. If you've labeled the 1/8 plan and the enlarged plans and the area layout plans etc. You now have several tags identifying the room even after you delete just one...now you delete or move a wall and you just confused poor Revit who says, "But I thought this was supposed to be a room?"

My preferred strategy when faced with changes that mess with rooms...is to start at my room schedule and delete the rooms that I have to change there. Doing so kills ALL the tags (and data associated with) that refer to that room in one step. Now any changes to those spaces that were perfectly nice rooms till "someone" changed them aren't "known" to Revit anymore and you can edit freely without dialog "ell".

Keep in mind that doing so also wipes out any data that room acquired (like room finish schedule info), so it is NOT a good strategy to employ if the room must exist (and it's data) after changes take place with only a different look. You're better off being visited by dialog boxes then (you could delete the all tags by visiting all views...if only you could remember all the places you tagged it)

Scott D Davis
2003-06-12, 05:23 PM
I just want a checkbox that says "I understand that all room tags must be in an enclosed area, so stop showing me these stupid dialog boxes that remind me every time I move a wall."

Or maybe more simply "Do not show this dialog box again."

I think invalid room tags should highlight in purple lines like an incomplete stair, reminding me that the room needs to be enclosed, rather than having the dialog boxes.

Dean Camlin
2003-06-15, 02:01 PM
... And I would like a way to easily chase down those room tags that have been assigned in obsolete plan views (early sketches no longer used in the CD phase, etc.) which are causing the error message in the first place!

Mebbe I should post this among the wish list.

Martin P
2003-06-20, 11:30 AM
... And I would like a way to easily chase down those room tags that have been assigned in obsolete plan views (early sketches no longer used in the CD phase, etc.) which are causing the error message in the first place!

Mebbe I should post this among the wish list.

I have never understood why you would ever want to delete a room tag from the plan, and keep it on the schedule? Has anyone ever found this useful, I simply cant imagine a use for it??

Phil Palmer
2003-06-20, 12:21 PM
It does seem rather stupid and only goes to totally confuse people when they then look at all the 'ambiguous' areas for room that just aren't there anymore.

Delete room tag SHOULD delete from the room schedule.

Steve_Stafford
2003-06-20, 12:36 PM
I can think of reasons you wouldn't want to remove the "existence" of the room by just deleting a tag in one view. But if you get a message about the "others" maybe an option to delete all too would be nice.

Since yooz guyz "lack imagination" :twisted: here's a couple scenarios...I accidently place an extra tag in a room cuz I'm sloppy, deleting the extra would wipe out the other one I wanted to keep

or...

I have an electronical drawing that I want a simpler tag without area and fancy box with occupancy da da da...so I'm an electronical drafter and I don't realize that I coulda/shoulda just exchanged tags and delete the tag instead...bam rooms gone...all tags gone, room finish schedule wiped...and so on.

Does that help with your imagination?.. :lol:

PeterJ
2003-06-20, 01:07 PM
You don't actually do any work do you 'Q'?

Just sit and dream about things that might happen if you did work.

Martin P
2003-06-20, 01:11 PM
I can think of reasons you wouldn't want to remove the "existence" of the room by just deleting a tag in one view. But if you get a message about the "others" maybe an option to delete all too would be nice.

Since yooz guyz "lack imagination" :twisted: here's a couple scenarios...I accidently place an extra tag in a room cuz I'm sloppy, deleting the extra would wipe out the other one I wanted to keep

or...

I have an electronical drawing that I want a simpler tag without area and fancy box with occupancy da da da...so I'm an electronical drafter and I don't realize that I coulda/shoulda just exchanged tags and delete the tag instead...bam rooms gone...all tags gone, room finish schedule wiped...and so on.

Does that help with your imagination?.. :lol:

I think we will agree to disagree on this one, I dont like it staying there........... and havent come across a use for yet myself.

And an electronical drafter, or a train driver, or a pig farmer, what does it matter :lol: - you cant allow for somebody not knowing what they are doing with a piece of software :wink:

But its in there anyway, and will probably stay - so I am just :banghead: anyway I suppose!!

Steve_Stafford
2003-06-20, 01:48 PM
You don't actually do any work do you 'Q'?

Just sit and dream about things that might happen if you did work.

Ow! (my eye hurts) :cry:

Unfortunately my scenarios are real! In the sense that the issue(s) came up during a discussion with other folks in a meeting. We've got all types here so we have to consider their feelings too.

I'm not really not as clever as I think I am... :cry:

jbalding48677
2003-06-20, 04:23 PM
OK -

I will jump in... I understand that once a room tag is inserted into a room the room is now an "object" and that is why on the RCP or the Callout or what ever other view you put the tag in and it is filled out by the "objects" parameters. It is now no different than a wall or a desk. That is great and I would never want to change that. I do, however, feel your pain and propose the following.

A. Upon deleting a room tag a dialog box that says delete the tag/annotation or the entire room definition.

OR

B. A dialog that tells you to remove the room definition it must be done at the schedule level.

OR

C. Leave it as is

For me personally, I am over the fact that you delete a room at the schedule and I understand the consequences. I vote for ā€œCā€ we have enough dialog boxes. Our training material is very specific in this area so if some one messes up I have the ol' "user error" response.

SCOTT - LOVE THE IDEA OF PURPLE AMBIGUOUS TAGS JUST LIKE AN INCOMPLETE STAIR!!! NO MORE WARNINGS!!! MAKE SURE YOU PUT IT ON THE WISH LIST, IF YOU HAVEN'T ALREADY.

Steve_Stafford
2003-06-20, 04:29 PM
I'm with you on the option to delete entire room or just the tag...it's what I alluded too earlier.

I also agree with the color que concept too!! Go Scott, Go Scott...

I also agree wholeheartedly with the "DB" purgatory issue...