PDA

View Full Version : VRAY plugin under development

jwilhelm
2006-09-15, 04:01 PM
I recieved the following reply from ASGVIZ regarding a Vray plugin for Revit:

"Hello. Yes we have been developing a V-Ray plugin for Revit. Currently we are on hold with the plugin development. We have not yet set a release date. We will keep your contact information and e-mail you more information as we make major decisions."

niki_funky
2006-09-15, 05:20 PM
This is great news. Keep us informed.

best regards
niki

truevis
2006-09-15, 05:26 PM
This is great news...What part of "Currently we are on hold with the plugin development." is great?

Meanwhile, we can drool :cry: over the images in http://www.vismasters.com/gallery.cfm?Professional=1 -- most of which were made using V-Ray.

hand471037
2006-09-15, 06:37 PM
They could be waiting for the API to catch up to what they want to do. If they wanted to make a full rendering add-on, with toolbars integrated into Revit and such, or make it so that you could 'swap' the Accurender engine for their Vray engine, well, currently the API wouldn't really allow for that (as far as I understand it).

Andre Baros
2006-09-15, 07:18 PM
I agree, maybe they know something from Autodesk which we don't. I have a (perhaps optimistic) feeling that Mental Ray for Acad was just a test run and they're working on it for Revit. Maybe not. But either way, if they're going to change the render engine in Revit, they would probably make related changes to the API at that point. Maybe Vlado is just waiting for the Revit Team to finish their work so his Vray team doesn't have to do things twice.

Arnel Aguel
2006-09-16, 06:42 AM
That's great news for revit and vray users but I wonder how that plug-in will work as revit doesn't have that deep material control to tweak like in max/viz material editor? Unless the plug in will also bring in some material editor on top of the rendering engine plug-in plus animation control interface.

Well lets just wait and see.

Joef
2006-09-16, 02:11 PM
I wouldn't be holding my breath. How long has Revit been around? How many plug-ins exist at the moment? Pretty close to zero in my count. I would love a plug-in for Piranesi, but The Informatix people have said :

"Revit is not "open" enough for us to be able to write a plug-in for their renderer. This means we are reliant on the Revit people to provide the functionality themselves."

That was in 2004. Still no plug-in.

I suspect that this is the same difficulty the Vray people (and anyone else writing a plug-in) are having.

Joe

hand471037
2006-09-16, 08:36 PM
"Revit is not "open" enough for us to be able to write a plug-in for their renderer. This means we are reliant on the Revit people to provide the functionality themselves."

That was in 2004. Still no plug-in.

I suspect that this is the same difficulty the Vray people (and anyone else writing a plug-in) are having.

To be fair, it wasn't until R8 (2005) came out that there was even an API to begin with, and a lot of changes occurred with R9 (2006) for the better. If things stay on this track, by next year or the year after the API should fully support whatever these folks want to do, if it doesn't already (which in my limited experience I'm guessing that it can with R9).

There are plenty of Revit plug-ins, they just mostly for Structure folks. I've seen a Revit Building plug-in for Navvisworks, and another for a cost estimation software, for example.

Assuming it takes a year to develop and bring to market a plug-in, and that only in the last year has it really been feasible because of the API, add in that it's probably better to wait a year or two and get all that you want then re-do things (especially for vray, who's making plenty of money off their existing products that I'm guessing this isn't a big priority) well, I'm not too surprised that there simply aren't too many out there yet...

Sheesh the level of negativity around these parts is a little silly...

Joef
2006-09-17, 12:03 AM
Must you always resort to pejoratives?
If you want to argue that the Revit API is a great success and has produced many time saving and useful features please do so with the examples. It was announced with great fanfare and much discussion, but to be honest hasn't amounted to much. If as you say it takes two or three years to get a decent plug-in off the ground then I will concede to your expertise. That would mean a Vray plug-in sometime in 2008 or 2009.

hand471037
2006-09-18, 03:02 PM
Must you always resort to pejoratives?

Huh?

If you want to argue that the Revit API is a great success and has produced many time saving and useful features please do so with the examples.

I never said that, nor argued that it was a 'great success'. What are you so bitter about to over-react so? I was just saying that the API exists now, and has grown. Trying to give a little insight for those who might not have had any time to look into the API.

It was announced with great fanfare and much discussion, but to be honest hasn't amounted to much.

OK, so I guess all that stuff those structural folks I know, who are making heavy use of some Revit plug-ins, and the Navvisworks one we're testing currently, 'isn't much'. Could have fooled me, it looked pretty cool from what I've seen.

If as you say it takes two or three years to get a decent plug-in off the ground then I will concede to your expertise. That would mean a Vray plug-in sometime in 2008 or 2009.

Concede? You remind me of the Black Night from Monty Python's. We weren't even fighting. I was just pointing out that to be so overtly negative about plug-in development when it is (slowly) happening, and to use an e-mail from a company that was written prior to an API even existing as evidience that 'nothing is happening', is, well, a little bit off. That's all. But I guess it's easier to go back to thinking that Autodesk is screwing us all over in some way that it is to be rational about things.

Joef
2006-09-18, 05:13 PM
Sorry to be so negative.:( I promise to post something positive in the near future. :)

Joe

rmejia
2006-12-09, 04:34 PM
Vote for Vray for Revit !

http://www.asgvis.com/

arshiel88
2006-12-09, 06:57 PM
Is there a possibility that VRay will also be available in Vanilla AutoCAD?

Arnel Aguel
2006-12-10, 06:36 AM
Vote for Vray for Revit !

http://www.asgvis.com/I'm just wondering how is this asgvis.com related to chaos group as there is no mention whatsoever in the chaos group website or forum about the development of vray plug-in for revit?

rmejia
2006-12-10, 12:24 PM
Check under the "Announcements" forum in the chaosgroup forums. There you will see info about the release of Vray for Rhino, and there are several posts of Vray for SketchUP if you search for them. I believe these two (rhino & SketchUP) were the ones most people wanted; in an earlier voting in the past those two came out with the highest percentage of votes. There is very little info about Vray for Revit, but it seems to be a possibility. People would have to vote for it and ask for it, if not it could seem that there is little interest and maybe they won't release it for a while.
As for vanilla AutoCAD ... I don't see it anywhere on the list. You could probably email http://asgvis.com and ask them about it.

Arnel Aguel
2006-12-11, 06:20 AM
Check under the "Announcements" forum in the chaosgroup forums. There you will see info about the release of Vray for Rhino, and there are several posts of Vray for SketchUP if you search for them. I believe these two (rhino & SketchUP) were the ones most people wanted; in an earlier voting in the past those two came out with the highest percentage of votes. There is very little info about Vray for Revit, but it seems to be a possibility. People would have to vote for it and ask for it, if not it could seem that there is little interest and maybe they won't release it for a while.
As for vanilla AutoCAD ... I don't see it anywhere on the list. You could probably email http://asgvis.com and ask them about it.I'm pretty aware of the vray plug in for rhino and sketch up as these two have been publicly announced by chaos group themselves that they are under development I'm just wondering why this vray for revit poll is conducted by asgvis.com and how are they related to chaos group? The official poll conducted by chaos group is normally conducted here (http://www.vray.info/)

rmejia
2006-12-12, 07:38 PM
ASGVIS are the ones that developed the sketchup and rhino plug in. Maybe chaosgroup doesn't have the manpower to be producing all these plug-ins so they worked out a deal with ASGVIS for them to develop the plugins for other programs. Chaosgroup seems to be working in the maya and max plugin only (and the stand alone). Anyhow it looks like it takes them a while to put out the new builds. I am under the impression that there are not a whole lot of people working over there.

http://www.asgvis.com/news_072405_pr.html

Arnel Aguel
2006-12-13, 03:05 AM
ASGVIS are the ones that developed the sketchup and rhino plug in. Maybe chaosgroup doesn't have the manpower to be producing all these plug-ins so they worked out a deal with ASGVIS for them to develop the plugins for other programs. Chaosgroup seems to be working in the maya and max plugin only (and the stand alone). Anyhow it looks like it takes them a while to put out the new builds. I am under the impression that there are not a whole lot of people working over there.

http://www.asgvis.com/news_072405_pr.html
Thanks for the inside story hopefully they will succeed with the vray-revit plug-in but I can sense that it may take some time for them to materialize this project. Well we got to vote in order to be heard.

dpasa
2006-12-13, 08:51 PM
Accurender trees and plants will probably be useless with Vray. So, the only solution will be RPC plants. Lucky Archvision...It is a shame we don't have any import/export capabilities of max or 3ds or obj files because we could take advantage of fabulous 3rd party collections like Evermotion, Lowpolygon3d, Axyz etc.

Arnel Aguel
2006-12-14, 02:22 AM
It is a shame we don't have any import/export capabilities of max or 3ds or obj files because we could take advantage of fabulous 3rd party collections like Evermotion, Lowpolygon3d, Axyz etc.It is still possible to use the million objects out there just open them up in max/viz and export as dwg file then you can bring it into revit also.

dpasa
2006-12-14, 04:22 PM
It is still possible to use the million objects out there just open them up in max/viz and export as dwg file then you can bring it into revit also.

You're right but I don't think your answer would stand as an official answer of a Revit reseller for example because you can't suggest to someone that gives you 5000€ that he has to buy another application for 4000€ just to translate a file format especially when we are talking about formats of the same company that sells you the first program.
Right?
We have sometimes to think of money and how we spend them. Since dwg or anything else imported in Revit will be a "dead" model (not adjustable) why should I spend more money? Autodesk should provide all the tools for files translation. That's what I think.
If this is wrong for some reason then we should get at least an obj format like most of the apps I know. Dxf is not enough.

AP23
2007-07-13, 06:46 AM
Current polls show that Archicad is on pole position and Revit is on 5th place of the six.

http://www.asgvis.com/index.php?option=com_poll&task=results&id=14

Revit users are probabely extremely happy with accurender.

jcdecastro
2007-07-15, 03:05 AM
I can't wait to get Vray plugged into Revit. :mrgreen:

AP23
2007-07-15, 10:36 AM
I can't wait to get Vray plugged into Revit. :mrgreen:

It's not going to happen if we don't request it.

jcdecastro
2007-07-17, 03:58 AM
I would bet that the majority of Revit users dont even know what Vray is or know that they can render a scene in less than 6 minutes.

dpasa
2007-07-17, 09:36 AM
I would bet that the majority of Revit users dont even know what Vray is or know that they can render a scene in less than 6 minutes.

Rendering cannot make an ugly scene look much better. The 3d library of Revit looks very old comparing to thousands of models like Evermotion, De Espona, etc... which of course cannot be found in RVT or DWG format... Also, you will not be able to use any of the trees/plants libraries or even a plugin like ONYXTREE, XFROG etc... or even free plugins like Arbaro with OBJ export...

Learning Vray with Revit will take some time, but can be done. The problem is that we will never be able to reach a quality of even a basic Viz scene without proper models and 3d content.

So, don't be very happy about Revit and Vray, because you will just discover that Vray is another Revit tool that can't be used properly because of Autodesk's poor develpment of Revit

jcdecastro
2007-07-18, 12:49 AM
because of Autodesk's poor develpment of Revit

uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

dpasa, wow,wasnt expecting the sentence to end like that.

Anyway, I would agree with you that Autodesk should put more resources into Revit and stop playing like the AutoCAD developers can't be converted to Revit developers to fix the simple annoying things like revit jumpy text, lack of text formating, a text editor w/ text symbols and text keynote issues. Oh, and the dwg import line slight off axis bs. One time, someone close to the Revit developers sort of hinted that the AutoCAD developers might not be smart enough to work on Revit.... :shock: I didnt say it.

On a related note, I think Revit and Vray should really work together so that Revit can adopt a version of proxy objects (without user required work arounds) in Vray to bring down Revit file sizes and relative slowness, when dealing with multiple instances of components.

If a Vray plugin is in the works (and the proxy object works nicely) its just a matter of time before Onyx and the other trees jump on board. Architects are a whole other category of customers that they (Onyx and others) really cant reach currently due to lack of development in 3d architectural software. The speed of Vray can make it happen.

knurrebusk
2007-07-24, 12:31 AM
Just wonder why there is so much problems with DWG export from Revit, and the total lack of 3DS/MAX integration?

Vray is just an incoming nightmare if Autodesk is not capable of integrating their own software.

Scott D Davis
2007-07-24, 01:09 AM
Just wonder why there is so much problems with DWG export from Revit, and the total lack of 3DS/MAX integration?

Vray is just an incoming nightmare if Autodesk is not capable of integrating their own software.
What DWG problems are you having? 3D DWG is the "default" method of getting many different models into Max...not just Revit.

knurrebusk
2007-07-24, 01:35 AM
Thousands of individual pieces occurring, that should be instanced.
I´m talking about large projects.
I must confess that I´m not up to the latest updates, so I´ll double check.
Then get back on the issue, but something was wrong last time I tested.

It´s sort of relating to "glass" should be "glass" as long as you not need black "glass"

Then you define the amount of black "glass" not opposite!!

knurrebusk
2007-07-24, 01:54 AM
I´m just back into Rendering/Architecture, after a long time off.
But the people behind Maxwell Render is still as stubborn as before, so I reckon the big contenders are even more resilient.

Just look at the "pink" physical sky in Maxwell 1.5, and the lame excuse.
Same thing is occurring with Revit site/modelling-tools.

I´m not out to dis Revit, but something need to be done.
Almost like a Toyota Lexus, where you need to pay extra for stereo/air con/nav/service etc.

knurrebusk
2007-08-02, 09:09 PM
What DWG problems are you having? 3D DWG is the "default" method of getting many different models into Max...not just Revit.

Sorry to let your offer for help run out.
I´m finally working in Revit again! after a long time off.

The problem seem to be rooted in layer´s, as in Autocad beeing very developed, and Sketchup/partly Max/Revit is not.

It´s a huge problem since Nemecheck/etc is getting better at these integrations.

But Revit 2008 is even more addictive then when I left 8.1 for happy life in Thailand.

The speed improvement is impressive with large projects.
Groups is working just like I wanted for many years.

knurrebusk
2007-08-02, 09:20 PM
Still I do not understand why Revit is not pushed more forward.
Give Revit an integrated Maxwell Render engine, with no features that compeats with Maya/Max/etc
It could be the Apple of architecture, now it´s a tiny bit sour.

Then give Revit a proper toolbox of modelling/site planning.