PDA

View Full Version : Lines on X axis are drawn at varying Z axis

s.nail
2006-09-18, 02:23 PM
I have been using Autocad 2000 and recently started using 2006. I am working in 3D. Let's say I am on a front view. I click a point at random on the left side of the view and then move my mouse to the right slightly. I type in 5 and enter so as to make the line 5 inches long. When I go to a top view the line has different starting and ending z points. I have never had this happen before.

stelthorst
2006-09-18, 03:20 PM
When in the front view if you pick a point at random and don't snap to existing geometry the line will start at the 0 elevation of the front view. When you change to the top view the line you created may or may not be near your existing geometry depending on how close your existing geometry is to 0,0,0.

Does that make sense or am I completely missing your point?

s.nail
2006-09-18, 03:32 PM
I think maybe I didn't do a good job of explaining. Lets say we start at a front view. Select a point at random or snap to an existing point of some sort to start the line. I have ORTHO on and I wish to make a line 5 inches to the right. I usually will just move my mouse to the right and type 5 and enter. For some reason when I go to a top view I discover the line starts at the desired z value but ends at some random z value. In the past when I have done this the line has allways started and ended at the same z value unless I draw the line and snap to points at different z locations.

stelthorst
2006-09-18, 03:56 PM
Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Questions:

When in the front few are you in the World Coordinate System (WCS) or a User Coordinate System (UCS)? My thought is you might be in a UCS that is skewed to the WCS.

If you list the line you created in the front view is it 5 units long?

Does the line appear straight in the front view?

Not sure I have an idea what is going on just fishing for clues.

s.nail
2006-09-18, 04:10 PM
OK, I may have misrepresented the problem. It turns out that this only happens when I start the line from the quadrant of a circle and then try to make the line a certain length. It for some reason doesn't follow parallel in the z axis.

stelthorst
2006-09-18, 04:26 PM
Is there anyway you could post an example of the problem so that I can see if I can duplicate/figure out the issue?

s.nail
2006-09-18, 04:38 PM
Try it on this drawing. Start at the bottom quadrant of the largest circle and make a line going left 5 inches.

s.nail
2006-09-18, 04:40 PM
In case it is a setting in my autocad, here is the same drawing after I perform the above proceedure.

Opie
2006-09-18, 05:11 PM
Have you looked at the OSNAPZ system variable?

OSNAPZ System Variable

Type: Integer
Saved in: Not-saved
Initial value: 0

Controls whether object snaps are automatically projected onto a plane parallel to the XY plane of the current UCS at the current elevation.

0 Osnap uses the Z-value of the specified point

1 Osnap substitutes the Z-value of the specified point with the elevation (ELEV) set for the current UCS

s.nail
2006-09-18, 05:45 PM
Have you looked at the OSNAPZ system variable?

Changing it to 1 did stop it from doing this.

stelthorst
2006-09-18, 05:50 PM
s.nail (sorry I don't know your name)

I can't recreate your problem on either one of the drawings you posted.
From what I saw the z remains constant but your line isn't following the x and y planes.

I don't have time to delve further into this right now but if someone else doesn't come up with a solution I'll look at it harder later in the day.

I did try Opie's suggestion but without success.

Have you tried creating a new drawing to see if you get the same results?

Mike.Perry
2006-09-19, 02:32 AM
<SNIP>

I can't recreate your problem on either one of the drawings you posted.
From what I saw the z remains is constant but your line isn't following the x and y planes.

<SNIP>Hi

Ditto at this end. I am unable to reproduce the issue / problem in either drawing files posted...

prob.dwg

prob1.dwg

Have a good one, Mike

jaberwok
2006-09-19, 12:13 PM
What happens if you draw a pline instead of a line?

s.nail
2006-09-19, 04:00 PM
Let me give a few more details as I have narrowed down what is happening a bit. Lets say I am at a front view. I draw a circle. I switch to top view and move the circle forward a couple of inches. Next, I switch back to front view. I have osnap set to pick quadrant. I draw a line snapping to the quadrant of the circle giving it a length of 5, 10 or whatever. Changing the osnapz variable has this effect. One way draws a parallel line but not on the same plane as the circle. The opposite setting draws a line that starts on the same plane as the circle but ends at random plane.

jaberwok
2006-09-19, 06:42 PM
How are you changing view direction?
Using the (orthogonal) buttons on the view toolbar changes both view and co-ordinate system. Any other method just changes the view.

s.nail
2006-09-19, 08:07 PM
How are you changing view direction?
Using the (orthogonal) buttons on the view toolbar changes both view and co-ordinate system. Any other method just changes the view.

I use the view toolbar to change views.

Mike.Perry
2006-09-20, 04:23 AM
Let me give a few more details as I have narrowed down what is happening a bit. Lets say I am at a front view. I draw a circle. I switch to top view and move the circle forward a couple of inches. Next, I switch back to front view. I have osnap set to pick quadrant. I draw a line snapping to the quadrant of the circle giving it a length of 5, 10 or whatever. Changing the osnapz variable has this effect. One way draws a parallel line but not on the same plane as the circle. The opposite setting draws a line that starts on the same plane as the circle but ends at random plane.Hi

Maybe take a look at system variables...

DynPiCoords

&

DynPiFormat

Have a good one, Mike