PDA

View Full Version : Windows XP Double-clicking on DWG files - What application do you want to use...

crohloff.72988
2006-09-20, 08:02 PM
Since our last AutoCAD upgrade, double-clicking on a .dwg file in Windows results in a "What application do you want to use..." type message. However, if I have AutoCAD running and double-click on a file, it will open as it should. A co-worker suggested changing something in the registry, but that's a little over my head. Has anyone had any experience with this?

Wanderer
2006-09-21, 02:08 AM
Since our last AutoCAD upgrade, double-clicking on a .dwg file in Windows results in a "What application do you want to use..." type message. However, if I have AutoCAD running and double-click on a file, it will open as it should. A co-worker suggested changing something in the registry, but that's a little over my head. Has anyone had any experience with this?Please share your version of autocad and windows so that you can get the most accurate answer, and I can move this post to the best location.

Thank you.

SRBalliet
2006-09-21, 11:25 AM
Right click on a dwg file
pick "Open With"
pick "Choose Program"
pick "AutoCAD" from the list
check "Always use this program to open these files"

charlie.bauer341340
2006-09-21, 12:01 PM
Do not open Autocad from windows explorer, it can have devastating effects. I have had multiple instances were it caused me to totally remove every hint of AutoCAD from a machine and do a complete install. Each time I have had to do this it was after someone tried to open a drawing from window explorer. It only takes a few additional seconds to open a drawing from within acad and it is worth the time if you trash your install.
:cry: :cry: :cry:

2006-09-21, 01:34 PM
Do not open Autocad from windows explorer, it can have devastating effects. I have had multiple instances were it caused me to totally remove every hint of AutoCAD from a machine and do a complete install. Each time I have had to do this it was after someone tried to open a drawing from window explorer. It only takes a few additional seconds to open a drawing from within acad and it is worth the time if you trash your install.
:cry: :cry: :cry:I have never, in 23 years of using AutoCad, had a problem opening a drawing of such magnitude that it required a reinstall. Do you have other software that can open the DWG filetype?

SRBalliet
2006-09-21, 02:06 PM
99% of the time I open my drawings from AutoCAD, but there are others in the office who do it by double clicking a file all the time. We have never had a meltdown. But, as they say better safe than sorry.

stusic
2006-09-21, 02:14 PM
I've never had a problem using Windows Explorer to open an AutoCAD file, but I am trying to move away from that... PowerDesk is so easy though!

crohloff.72988
2006-09-21, 02:36 PM
Sorry for the lack of info in my original post. I'm using AutoCAD 2005 & Windows XP.

The funny thing is - when I do the "right-click -> Open with" I am not even given AutoCAD as an option. Even browsing to it doesn't seem to work.

Personally, this whole thing isn't an issue for me. I usually have AutoCAD running all the time anyway, and when I do double-clicking in Windows works. An engineer & another CAD tech brought it up to me, so I was hoping there was an easy fix. Personally, I'd rather not have to go into the registry on every user's computer.

Also, I've never experienced the disaster that charlieb mentioned in his post.

Thanks for the help.

jaberwok
2006-09-21, 07:50 PM
There have been many tales of woe about opening dwg files from Explorer but I haven't heard of any new tales since around the launch of Win2k and few, if any, of the earlier stories were (to me) fully verifiable.
Still, I open files from acad.
1. I've been using it since v2.5 and the same comments apply as for R9 but for longer. :-)
2. Better safe than sorry.
3. I have a shortcut to acad in my startup folder so acad is always ready.

Wanderer
2006-09-21, 11:33 PM
No worries. I'll go ahead and move this post from the CAD Management General Forum to this one, as I believe it will be better served here. Thank you.

Sorry for the lack of info in my original post. I'm using AutoCAD 2005 & Windows XP.

The funny thing is - when I do the "right-click -> Open with" I am not even given AutoCAD as an option. Even browsing to it doesn't seem to work.

Mike.Perry
2006-09-22, 06:08 AM
Hi

See if the following Technical Documents offer any assistance / help...

ID: TS30586 - Double-clicking drawing in Windows Explorer fails to start product (http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/item?siteID=123112&id=2869678&linkID=2475323)

ID: TS72788 - DWG file associativity in Windows XP (http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/item?siteID=123112&id=2893615&linkID=2475323)

ID: TS1558 - Start AutoCAD software using file associativity in Windows Explorer (http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/item?siteID=123112&id=2895468&linkID=2475323)

Have a good one, Mike