PDA

View Full Version : Page setups not working for other users

ymarchitect49216
2004-06-17, 12:54 PM
i am on a pier to pier network using autocad 2002 w arch desktop 3.3 on a windows xp network.

my station is the main server and i have one other station - workstation 1

I have preset settings in the page setup submenu inside the plot command. when i am on my computer it works fine (ie looking for hp 1700 printer) when i go to workstation 1 and use the same page set up in the same file it gives me an error- can't find hp 1700 because on that computer the printer is recognized as //192.168.0.2/hp 1700 and autocad is looking for exactly 'hp 1700'. so my page setups are unusable.

is there a solution to this.

Mike.Perry
2004-06-17, 01:07 PM
Hi

Give the below snippet a read, comes from a couple of old Guild E-mail posts that I made...

Hi

Will have to be in Metric (UK user), come to the dark side and enjoy the multiple of 10.

Layout Tab contains A1 Drawing Frame (841mm x 594mm approx 33inc x 23.5inc) that's been Inserted or X-ref'd.

Need to Plot this Drawing -

1) Full Size @ 1:1 (A1) on HP DesignJet in Monochrome
2) Full Size @ 1:1 (A1) on HP DesignJet in Colour
3) Half Size @ 1:2 (A3) on HP LaserJet in Monochrome
In PageSetup or (Plot) Dialog Box -

Anything that is set on the two tabs (Plot Device & layout Settings) except "What to Plot" & "Plot to File" in Plot Dialog Box can be set and saved in a Page Setup Name.

1) Full Size @ 1:1 (A1) on HP DesignJet in Monochrome

Plot Device Tab:

Under Plotter Configuration choose the Plotter Device from the Name drop-down box -

a) HP DesignJet

Under Plot Style Table (pen assignments) choose from the Name drop-down box -

b) A1 Monochrome (CTB or STB set-up for Full Size plotting). CTB or STB depends on how you do things in your office/company.

Plot Settings Tab:

Under Paper Size and Paper Units choose from the Paper Size drop-down box -

c) A1 - 841 x 594

Under Drawing Orientation choose the correct orientation that suits the Plotter -

d) Portrait

Under Plot Area choose the method that suits -

e) Window (my personal choice as we have Plot Marks set-up on are Drawing Frames) Under Plot Scale choose from the Scale drop-down box -

f) 1:1

Under Plot Offset choose the method that suits -

g) Personally don't need to touch Plot Offset.

Under Plot Options choose the method that suits -

h) Personally, check the Plot with Plot Styles tick box.

Everything has now been set for *Full Size @ 1:1 (A1) on HP DesignJet in Monochrome* if you used the PageSetup method you are unable to Preview within this Dialog Box :( (Bad oversight on AutoDesk's part if you ask me) if you used the Plot method you can then Preview :)

j) Click the Add button (Top Right) -> User Defined Page Setups Dialog Box opens ->

Under New Page Setup Name: A1 DesignJet Mono (can type anything, is best to use a meaningful name) -> Click the OK button, a PageSetup has been created and saved for future use.

2) Full Size @ 1:1 (A1) on HP DesignJet in Colour

a) HP DesignJet

b) A1 Colour

c) A1 - 841 x 594

d) Portrait

e) Window (my personal choice as we have Plot Marks set-up on are Drawing Frames)

f) 1:1

j) A1 DesignJet Colour

3) Half Size @ 1:2 (A3) on HP LaserJet in Monochrome

a) HP LaserJet

b) A3 Monochrome (LineWeights have been scaled down slightly for use in Reduced Plotting)

c) A3 - 420 x 297

d) Landscape

e) Window (my personal choice as we have Plot Marks set-up on are Drawing Frames)

f) 1:2

j) A1 to A3 LaserJet Mono

There should now be three PageSetups created and saved.

Now within this drawing file when you go to Plot you can select the relevant PageSetup from the drop-down list.

If by magic everything is set correctly, nothing has to be touched apart from clicking the OK button to send the Plot.

With something like this method you can set-up ALL the PageSetups you require in a Master Template or Drawing file, these can then be Imported into ALL drawings that you require. Is also very handy when used in conjunction with the AutoCAD

BatchPlot utility.

Note - The PageSetup method requires that ALL users access the same Plot and Plot Style Table(s) configuration's.

If you use a Network this can be very easily achieved by setting up a common area on the Network that ALL users point to within AutoCAD.

Hope the above helps and is explained clearly.

Have a good one, Mike

ps Below is a copy of a message I sent in response to a post on the CADMgr Guild, it explains a little about setting up a common area on a Network for Plotting purposes.

pps The AUGI Exchange has some very useful Routines for Plotting and PageSetups

Hi Cynthia

Though having one "Master" .ARG would solve your problem I personally don't think this is the right answer, as like yourself I agree it doesn't offer any flexibility to end user's.

This is what we have here -

On our Network in the common AutoCAD area we have a Plotters Directory, tell the truth we have two. One for each Operating System (NT4 & 2000Pro) we are currently using at this time; the Plotters are called exactly the same but each are set-up under the different Operating Systems. If your running a mixed Operating System environment AutoCAD must be set-up in this way.

G:\CAD\TransportationInfrastructure\AutoCAD 2000i\Plotters NT4

G:\CAD\TransportationInfrastructure\AutoCAD 2000i\Plotters 2000Pro

Note - The above stores .PC3 and .PMP files, we do not Plot using Windows System Printers (some .PC3 files are set up using Windows Drivers and not Heidi Drivers).

Each AutoCAD user then has a Plot Styles Directory on the Network in their own private area.

H:\Plot Styles

As AutoCAD can only look-in one area for Plot Styles we decided that user's should look after this area, offers the greatest flexibility. Project Plot Styles (.CTB & .STB) are kept under the Project, users then create ShortCut's from the Project area to their Plot Styles directory.

A "Master" .ARG file exists for each version of AutoCAD we run (2000i, LDDT2i, LDDT3, Map4, Map5 & ADT3). Each one though point's to the same area on the Network for Plotters ie

PullDownMenu: Tools -> Options -> Files Tab -> Printer Support File Path -> Printer Configuration Search Path -

G:\CAD\TransportationInfrastructure\AutoCAD 2000i\Plotters NT4 or Plotters 2000Pro

Printer Description File Search Path -

G:\CAD\TransportationInfrastructure\AutoCAD 2000i\Plotters NT4 or Plotters 2000Pro

Plot Style Table Search Path -

H:\Plot Styles

A user then loads the relevant "Master" .ARG file, set's this Current, ReNames to their Login Name then makes any changes they require to the AutoCAD environment ie Screen Colour, Number of Command Lines, Toolbars etc (are not allowed to change anything within the Files Tab in the Options Dialog Box). Once everything is set the way they want, they Save (Export) this as a .ARG for future use if things go wrong and need to start a fresh (if they don't Save a .ARG file and things do go wrong they will have to go back to the "Master" .ARG).

Above is a rough outline on how things are set-up here, a fair bit is automated to help the process; things like detecting Operating System, placing Desktop Icons that load "Master" .ARG's etc.

I digress, returning to Plotting -

As all user's pick up Plotters and Project Plot Styles from the same locations, Page Set-ups work for everyone, Plotting someone else's drawing when the "Save changes to layout" has been ticked in the Plot Dialog Box also works... etc

The important thing is that AutoCAD looks for Plotter names and Plot Styles names; as long as these are the same for everyone you shouldn't have any problems (what are the chances if individual's are left to set-up Plotters and Plot Styles that they give them exactly the same names as the next person).

Remember if you have a mixture of Operating Systems you need to set-up Plotters under each.

Wouldn't be me if I didn't give you some Technical Documents to take a look at on the AutoDesk web site under the Knowledge Base section ;-)

ID: TS66536 - Error when entering options or attempting to plot: <product install path> is not accessible (http://usa.autodesk.com/getdoc/id=TS66536)

ID: TS20135 - Create plotter configuration files (PC3) (http://usa.autodesk.com/getdoc/id=TS20135)

ID: TS20115 - Add custom paper sizes (http://usa.autodesk.com/getdoc/id=TS20115)

ID: TS36036 - PC3 file copied from another computer does not plot (http://usa.autodesk.com/getdoc/id=TS36036)

ID: TS32984 - Use plotter configuration files from network (http://usa.autodesk.com/getdoc/id=TS32984)

Hope the above helps, just shout if you need me to explain anything further or clear up the mess I've written above.

Cheers, Mike

Have a good one, Mike

george.drayton
2006-04-01, 08:58 AM
You need to be consistent in naming your output device across all workstations. AutoCAD doesn't care were the plotter is - it just stores a name in the plot setup. You could call the plotter HP1700 at all workstations - preferably create a PC3 file. You should be able to create/rename a PC# file to anything you like or even rename the Windows System printer device.