PDA

View Full Version : DWFcomposer.exe has generated errors and will be closed by Windows.

mikesal
2006-10-02, 04:31 PM
I have a DWFcomposer error that will not resolve. The error pop-up is:

"DWFcomposer.exe has generated errors and will be closed by Windows. You will need to restart the program. An error log is being created."

I have repaired, uninstalled & reinstalled to no avail.... I am unable to find the "error log" it said it created and haven't found this error anywhere on Autodesk or here in the Forums.

We are on DWF Composer 2. Operate in Windows 2K.

Any help would be highly appreciated.

Thanks for your time,
Mike

scott.sheppard
2006-10-02, 08:01 PM
This error message basically means that Autodesk DWF Composer has tripped over itself and Windows has to shut it down. This is probably NOT related to your install of the Autodesk DWF Composer application. This is probably related to the contents of the DWF file that is exposing a defect in the application. You may wish to try the free preview of Autodesk Design Review 2007. It has many fixes on top of R2.

mikesal
2006-10-02, 10:35 PM
It isn't DWF file specific. This error is consistent if you open DWF composer or if you try to open a file by double-clicking on it.

rkmcswain
2006-10-02, 10:55 PM
Is this on a single computer?

Have you tried a brute-force removal before reinstalling? (removing all registry entries and files, including the \Program Files\Common Files\Autodesk directory?) Note: do the last thing will kill all other Autodesk installs...

What SP does your Win2K have installed?

scott.sheppard
2006-10-03, 04:28 PM
It isn't DWF file specific. This error is consistent if you open DWF composer or if you try to open a file by double-clicking on it.

If it happens with all files, then you are correct in that it is install related. Do you have any other Autodesk products on this system? I am worried that these products share libraries and one of them for the other product is getting found and loaded by Autodesk DWF Composer.

mikesal
2006-10-03, 10:17 PM
Yes there are other Autodesk programs on the same machine. LDT R3, Raster design & Civil3D 2007 Trial version. I am not sure which Windows SP the machine has.

scott.sheppard
2006-10-04, 12:14 AM
Since you have Civil 3D 2007 trial, my guess is that a DLL from that product is newer than what Autodesk DWF Composer R2 is expecting. If you are running Windows 2000 SP4, you could upgrade to Autodesk Design Review 2007.

mikesal
2006-10-04, 03:50 PM
We are planning on upgrading at our subscription renewal, but for the time being I am just trying to get this current version up and running.

mikesal
2006-10-10, 02:42 PM
I was able to get DWF Composer back running by:

1. Uninstalling DWF Composer
2. Backing up the registry
3. Removing all references to DWF Composer in the registry
4. Removing all directory information in Windows to DWF Composer
5. Removing references in the Program Files/Common Files/Autodesk Shared directory.
6. Rebooting the machine.
7. Reinstalling DWF Composer.

I don't know what I did in all of this that worked or if all of it together worked. However, the program is now working and we are back in production!!

Thanks for all your help and suggestions as always!!
Mike

scott.sheppard
2006-10-11, 09:15 PM
I am glad the story had a happy ending. My guess is that the install of one of the other Autodesk products stepped on a registry key that Autodesk DWF Composer R2 is using.